Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 815 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are from New Hampshire and have lived here for our whole lives. We want to move somewhere warm down south on the east coast. We don't have any family or friends that live down south so we aren't sure where to start looking. We are looking for a place on the east coast, within 30 min. of the beach. We would like to be in a town/city that has some things to do (we are from a very rural area so we aren't looking for much just nice restaurants and shopping) My boyfriend is a brewer so any towns or cities that have breweries would be great. We have been looking into South Carolina and Georgia but aren't sure which towns to check out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:42 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
You need to figure out your budget and get a job before moving. That will narrow down the locations. Living by the beach isn't cheap.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
you should consider Asheville NC there are a ton of local breweries here and what I always say to fellow Northerners looking to move down, stick to Urban and Suburban areas don't get to rural.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
You may want to read the Greenville V. Charleston debate thread. I think Charleston might be a good choice, although I would pick somewhere warmer. You probably do not have cold weather issues being from NH? There are a few nice places farther north in North Carolina, as well. Check them out.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:08 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
you should consider Asheville NC there are a ton of local breweries here and what I always say to fellow Northerners looking to move down, stick to Urban and Suburban areas don't get to rural.
There aren't any jobs there. If you're in a larger, busier area, you could probably tend bar and make the rent. While Ashville is very nice, it's on the small side. Rather isolated, too.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:31 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Sometimes I wonder if this site is infected with bots - If a poster says young, liberal or brewery, the bot will automatically suggest Asheville.

Otherwise, why is it a suggestion for someone who wants to be within 30 minutes of a beach!

It should be easy enough to find a list of craft breweries, sit down with an atlas and start your search from there. I like Wilmington NC but does it have breweries?

Another irrelevant suggestion is that there are new breweries under construction in Knoxville TN - at least TVA has man made beaches on most of their lakes.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:24 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby3387 View Post
Hello,
My boyfriend and I are from New Hampshire and have lived here for our whole lives. We want to move somewhere warm down south on the east coast. We don't have any family or friends that live down south so we aren't sure where to start looking. We are looking for a place on the east coast, within 30 min. of the beach. We would like to be in a town/city that has some things to do (we are from a very rural area so we aren't looking for much just nice restaurants and shopping) My boyfriend is a brewer so any towns or cities that have breweries would be great. We have been looking into South Carolina and Georgia but aren't sure which towns to check out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Charleston would probably be your best bet given it's location near the coast, good economy, lower cost of living and emergence as a craft beer hub.

Craft beer is booming in Charleston

Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Charleston would probably be your best bet given it's location near the coast, good economy, lower cost of living and emergence as a craft beer hub.

Craft beer is booming in Charleston
I agree. We vacation there and Charleston has 'got it going on'. You should visit and see for yourself.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Asheville has few jobs, crappy pay, and renting here is way too expensive. Thank God I make decent money.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:09 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Asheville has few jobs, crappy pay, and renting here is way too expensive. Thank God I make decent money.
Good luck paying off your student loans and affording Asheville rents on what they start brewers at here ($11/hr - part-time). Which isn't bad for the area, but when you consider you needed to get a degree to even land that job and the amount of competition...

Not sure how Orlando is for breweries, but I did meet a person at the nice beer store in Asheville. His boss sent him on a work vacation to check out the scene here/make contacts. It's cheaper than Asheville and you've got beaches relatively close.

Charleston is nice and popular. Lots of young people seem to work as street promoters for touristy stuff and the hotels because they would rather just get by than have to leave. Although downtown you can't really access the beach. There's an elevated walkway however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.