Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2023, 04:52 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
They might be, but they were likely very cold, as the day when Buffalo was hit by its December blizzard, Houston was under a Hard Freeze and Wind Chill warning, with low temperature in the area 10-15 deg F, and wind chills at 0 deg F.

But, absolutely Houston gets some good days in the winter. I lived most of my adult life in Houston. November can feel hot at times, but December is usually pleasant, and Houston's "fall" is in late December is when the deciduous trees lose their leaves and the grass turns all brown. Usually its not very Christmasy, but even Houston had a white Christmas a few years ago (of course that year I was visiting Austin where it wasn't).

And, in between pleasant winter days there are always those days to "protect your plants, pets, and pipes" that occur a couple times a season, some years more or less, some fairly significant, like the 2021 Texas Freeze. Even "mild" Texas winter climate has had weather events more catastrophic than anything ever experienced up north, in any season.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of things I like about Houston, but not its weather and climate.
I think what I didn't like about Houston aside from high humidity almost always being present with high temperatures is also the air quality which seemed to be pretty bad. Like, inland basins of California sort of bad and then plus the heat and humidity. That was pretty bad, and unlike Southern California, it didn't seem to matter where in the area you were as it was bad throughout which makes sense given the relatively flat topography.

Really good and diverse eating though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Dallas has average winter lows in the 30s. Cold enough to expect snow in the winter.
39 and 37? (December and January, the coldest average low temps.) It doesn't snow much at all in Dallas. It snows more in Little Rock, where the average low temp is lower, for longer, as well. Dallas gets on average about 1.5 inches of snow a year. Little Rock gets an average of about 3.5 inches of snow a year.

It also rains more in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:49 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Overnight lows in Phoenix is 88 this week. That's not good.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I'm in NE Texas and the overnight lows in this area are typical - 77 degrees. July and August are the hottest months. Oh well. We have a gorgeous spring and fall and winter! Summer tends to be longish and hottish.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:05 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Repped. Thanks for owning it and being positive. Yes my well wishing at the end was genuine. Everyone should try to find their happy place. I can’t hack it I’m the heat but if you love it I hope you enjoy it.

Curious about the problem with northerners comment. That’s a really huge group. It would be like me saying “issues with southerners “. Idk. Would love to hear more if you’re open to sharing
I’m open to sharing, although this isn’t the thread for that. It’s worth saying that much of the Midwest doesn’t have the same stigma for me in a cultural or social sense, but the cold/snow plus road salt still makes most of it a hard no for ever wanting to live there.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:35 PM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Depends on the humidity level.

90 with 20% humidity is fine.
90 with 50% humidity is muggy and unpleasant.
90 with 80% humidity is oppressive and potentially dangerous for some individuals.
Yup high humidity with high temps is very dangerous. 90 degrees with low humidity is not a big deal.

Old 07-14-2023, 03:46 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Yup high humidity with high temps is very dangerous. 90 degrees with low humidity is not a big deal.
The worst humidity I’ve experienced in the US was in Lawrence, KS. There was a day with a high temperature of 106F with a 78F dewpoint that made the heat index feel like 122F.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:18 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
TODAY is a key example of what I'm talking about regarding the insane levels of heat and humidity being observed in western Missouri and eastern Kansas. Completely intolerable with a temperature of 95F with a dewpoint of 81F, yielding a heat index reading of 117F.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...7-26-2023.pngF.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
39 and 37? (December and January, the coldest average low temps.) It doesn't snow much at all in Dallas. It snows more in Little Rock, where the average low temp is lower, for longer, as well. Dallas gets on average about 1.5 inches of snow a year. Little Rock gets an average of about 3.5 inches of snow a year.

It also rains more in Little Rock, Arkansas.
A two inch difference is not that much. But 1.5 inches is enough to at least invest in some winterisation.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:00 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
A two inch difference is not that much. But 1.5 inches is enough to at least invest in some winterisation.
Not really. Little Rock can go a year or two without hardly a flake of snow.
If there’s ice, you’re staying in until it melts. That only happens once in a great while.
Winter is barely existent there. The real difference between it and Dallas is minuscule and not noteworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.