Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 03:58 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times

Advertisements

I have experienced 107 degrees and -40 degrees, strangely enough, both extremes were 6 miles from the border--opposite borders! I really love winter and don't mind the extreme cold. I was out carving a snow sculpture at -30 (okay, that was nuts). However, as you get older, you aren't going to want to be in the severe cold unless you have lived with it your whole life.

There are several areas that are mild all year long. Mostly, they are areas with small towns. I'm in one now. It will get into the mid to high 90s in July and in the 30s in January. It is like a northern spring out there right now and it is February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 05:19 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
How about both?

Here in Minnesota I have seen -30 in February to having 100 less than 4 months later. Talk about a swing.

Also have witnessed 90 September days to -20 Novemeber days.... 110 swing in a 45 day span!

Also have seen snow on the groun in every Month besides July and August

Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I think both can be really bad, but I'd go with brutal winters as the worst. At least in the summer you can go out in the morning and evening when its bearable, but if it's a harsh winter, it's probably been snowing and icing all day. Can't go anywhere! At least I wouldn't...

Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 PM

26 posts, read 90,178 times
Dry brutal summers for me Humid ones on the other hand would drive me crazy lol

Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think the thing about hot summer days in LA is that summer lasts forever & by October most people are getting real tired of the heat [esp since it stays hot right into early November]. But as others have pointed out, even on really hot days most nights eventually drop into the 60's by early morning & all-night AC isn't necessary except during a few really humid periods. But summer heat is still better than the kind of cold found in northern states during winter. I like that a pair of shorts & flips flops is all I need. It has to be expensive living in snowy climates because of all the coats\ hats a person has to wear.
Actually, it is just relative to where you live, and where you grew up. When I was growing up in SW Wyoming, it was common for the winter temps to reach -5F or -10F and wind chill making it -35F to -50F, and I was cold dealing with it, but then I moved to Portland where it is naturally, a lot warmer, but wetter, and even in the winter time here, I can take it down to about 30 or 35 outside without a jacket--just a long sleeve shirt, and remind you, the humidity at that temp is 100% here because if it is below 45F outside here, it is either raining, about to rain, just finished raining, or is foggy. Also, in the Rocky Mtn/mid-west states where it is blistering cold, people have gas heating in their homes, which is a lot cheaper than electric heating, so in all reality, it is probably cheaper in the colder climates, and you wouldn't be using the A/C as much in the summer either.

It's all relative to where you grew up or have lived for a long time, but IMO, it is far easier to adjust to the cold than it is to the heat.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
How about both?

Here in Minnesota I have seen -30 in February to having 100 less than 4 months later. Talk about a swing.

Also have witnessed 90 September days to -20 Novemeber days.... 110 swing in a 45 day span!

Also have seen snow on the groun in every Month besides July and August
You should try Spearfish, SD ( near Rapid City ). One day I was there, it was 38 in the morning and made it to 91 in the afternoon, and then I learned that wasn't even their record swing in a day, and is the #1 city in the USA that has extremes to one end and the other the most often...talk about going from a jacket to shorts LOL

Old 02-24-2010, 09:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Living in a place that has brutal summers is the worse. One cannot breathe when is super hot. I take the Winter any day.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Actually, it is just relative to where you live, and where you grew up. When I was growing up in SW Wyoming, it was common for the winter temps to reach -5F or -10F and wind chill making it -35F to -50F, and I was cold dealing with it, but then I moved to Portland where it is naturally, a lot warmer, but wetter, and even in the winter time here, I can take it down to about 30 or 35 outside without a jacket--just a long sleeve shirt, and remind you, the humidity at that temp is 100% here because if it is below 45F outside here, it is either raining, about to rain, just finished raining, or is foggy. Also, in the Rocky Mtn/mid-west states where it is blistering cold, people have gas heating in their homes, which is a lot cheaper than electric heating, so in all reality, it is probably cheaper in the colder climates, and you wouldn't be using the A/C as much in the summer either.

It's all relative to where you grew up or have lived for a long time, but IMO, it is far easier to adjust to the cold than it is to the heat.
I see your point but in the West the humidity is at it's lowest when it is the hottest part of the day w/ occasional exceptions when monsoon moisture moves in. During those periods, LA is very uncomfortable. I know it is more expensive to cool a house down than to warm it up but if winters are so mild that you don't need much heat than it isn't very expensive. I think most people need a coat once the temperature drops below 60F or at least below 50F if you are going to be outside for a long time. But I can handle temps up to 90F fairly easily especially if there is shade.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Brutal Winters are worse. Nobody gets trapped in their homes because the heat piles up 7 feet of drifted snow against their front door.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Winters are worse. If it gets cold and wet enough outside, it becomes paralyzing. I've lived in the tropics and in the desert, and it was never too hot to get in the car and go somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.