Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Philadelphia have more in common with New Jersey or DC/Baltimore
New Jersey 26 81.25%
DC/Baltimore 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

N
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
My percentage of Latinos that are Puerto Rican might be off, but about 0.5% is correct. This post of yours seems contradictory, add you seem to group Baltimore with Philly in other discussions without a mention of Baltimore. Hmmmm...

Why are you so against DC? Seems like a Gen X thing here.

The "y'all" was to Bajan Yankee. New York really thinks it's the best and Philadelphia can look down on Baltimore (which really didn't have much to do with the city) to make itself feel better.
I've realized you can't really stand out my blending in with other cities. And if I'm on this site trying to make Baltimore more prominent, I can't do that if I'm trying to group it with Philly, DC, or any other city. Furthermore, I hate the fact that Baltimore gets grouped with DC on so many threads (WE ARE NOT THE SAME). I've always been against that since, forever. Honestly, before joining this site, I never knew people grouped the two cities together; we've never done that here in the Baltimore region. Finally, I'm just sick of seeing Baltimore getting kicked around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 01:00 AM

218 posts, read 342,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
DC has 4,035 Puerto Ricans and Baltimore has 3,934 Puerto Ricans according to recent estimates. There is not any available data for recent Dominican population estimates but as of the 2010 census, Baltimore had 1,111 Dominicans and DC had 2,508 Dominicans. As you can see, both cities have a very low number of these groups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Puerto Rican population by city.

New York - 738,649
Philadelphia - 133,044
Chicago - 105,116
Springfield - 52,863
Hartford - 42,027
Newark - 36,693
Orlando - 34,249
Allentown - 32,158
Boston - 31,656
Reading - 28,869
Cleveland - 28,567
Rochester - 28,044
Milwaukee - 27,355
Jersey City - 27,180
Tampa - 26,038
Camden - 24,028
Worcester - 22,490
Buffalo - 21,385
New Haven - 20,478
Paterson - 19,796
Los Angeles - 17,877
Providence - 14,646
Bethlehem - 13,957
Miami - 13,887
Houston - 11,846
Trenton - 9,903
San Diego - 9,274
Charlotte - 8,160
Passaic - 7,461
Syracuse - 7,260
Detroit - 6,364
Ft. Lauderdale - 5,142
Albany - 5,141
Hoboken - 4,878
Raleigh - 4,795
Wilmington - 4,761
San Francisco - 4,527
Dallas - 4,526
Bayonne - 4,269
Scranton - 4,036
Washington - 4,035
Baltimore - 3,934

Atlanta - 3,001
Atlantic City - 2,960
Oakland - 2,710
Quote:
Don't lie. Puerto Ricans are 0.5% of the total population and about 90% of the Latino population are not Puerto Rican.

You don't have to be a Philadelphian, Kode Blue. There's nothing special about it.
Actually, according to the most recent estimate (2014) American FactFinder - Results

Baltimore has 4,739 Puerto Ricans within city limits (0.8%). And DC has 3,968 Puerto Ricans (0.6%).
I think what KodeBlue means is that Puerto Ricans make-up such a large portion of Baltimore's Hispanic population, nearly 20% of Hispanics are Puerto Rican (the total Baltimore Hispanic population is at 4.7% in 2014), compared to most other cities where Puerto Ricans make up less than 10% of Hispanics (sometimes even less than 3%) like DC, Atlanta, Houston, LA/the whole western US. And being that the Puerto Rican population is growing just as fast as other Hispanic groups, Puerto Ricans would probably remain at 20% of Hispanics for some time, soo in time when Baltimore's Hispanic population grows little by little Puerto Ricans will definitely be a significant part of the process. Currently, Southeast Baltimore does have a relatively noticeable concentration of Puerto Ricans (along with other Hispanics). The Bmore and DC metropolitan areas do have growing PR populations. Though, as other posters noted, Puerto Rican populations in Philly, NY, and Orlando definetly dwarf's Baltimore's PR population 10 times over.

Last edited by phillydominican; 02-21-2016 at 01:30 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 01:18 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
Actually, according to the most recent estimate (2014) American FactFinder - Results

Baltimore has 4,739 Puerto Ricans within city limits (0.8%). And DC has 3,968 Puerto Ricans (0.6%).
I think what KodeBlue means is that Puerto Ricans make-up such a large portion of Baltimore's Hispanic population, nearly 20% of Hispanics are Puerto Rican (the total Baltimore Hispanic population is at 4.7% in 2014), compared to most other cities where Puerto Ricans make up less than 10% of Hispanics (sometimes even less than 3%) like DC, Atlanta, Houston, LA/the whole western US. Southeast Baltimore does have a relatively noticeable concentration of Puerto Ricans (along with other Hispanics). The Bmore and DC metropolitan areas do have growing PR populations. Though, Puerto Rican populations in Philly, NY, and Orlando dwarf's Baltimore's PR population 10 times over.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:22 AM

218 posts, read 342,585 times
Quote:
These numbers are for Philadelphia city limits and the entire states of Maryland and Virginia.

Puerto Rican

Philadelphia - 133,044
Maryland - 45,694
Virginia - 84,905

Dominican

Philadelphia - 19,171
Maryland - 18,092
Virginia - 11,883
Quote:
No it's not. You didn't read it closely enough.

I am talking about people born in Puerto Rico. But Raleigh (this includes Durham, btw) has as many Puerto Ricans as Baltimore.

Baltimore - 21,618
Raleigh - 20,396

There's not much Puerto Rican influence in either. But on a percentage basis, the Research Triangle has a stronger Puerto Rican presence than Baltimore.
Idk where you get your statistics from bro

American FactFinder - Results

Puerto Ricans: (2014)
City of Philadelphia- 133,535
State of Maryland- 53,479
State of Virginia- 92,319

Dominicans:
City of Philadelphia- 20,641
State of Maryland- 20,155
State of Virginia- 13,372

As for the states between Pennsylvania's southern border and Florida's northern border (Atlantic south , excluding Delaware which is undoubtedly the northeast and DC which is more comparable to a city then a state): I would say Virginia actually has the fastest growing Puerto Rican population of these states, followed by North Carolina, Maryland, Georgia, and far behind is South Carolina. The Atlantic south region in general, has one of the fastest growing Puerto Rican and Dominican populations outside Florida, and the Northeast states.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:55 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Idk where you get your statistics from bro
The statistics come from American Fact Finder. The difference is I chose to use a 5-year dataset because the sample size is larger, resulting in a much smaller margin of error. I bet you didn't even pay attention to the MOE. While it's true that the 1-year estimate is based on the most recent data, it's also not as reliable, particularly when looking at small populations. The MOE for the 5-year data is +/-630. The MOE for the 1-year estimate is +/- 1,811.

An MOE of 1,811 is not so bad if you're dealing with a big, big population. It makes a big difference, however, when looking at a population that's around 4,000. It's sort of like a poll showing a deadlocked election race with a 10% MOE. How much weight should one put on that?

The ACS 1-year estimate for Houston (15,733) is about 4,000 higher than the 5-year estimate.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-21-2016 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Baltimore has 4,739 Puerto Ricans within city limits (0.8%). And DC has 3,968 Puerto Ricans (0.6%).I think what KodeBlue means is that Puerto Ricans make-up such a large portion of Baltimore's Hispanic population, nearly 20% of Hispanics are Puerto Rican (the total Baltimore Hispanic population is at 4.7% in 2014), compared to most other cities where Puerto Ricans make up less than 10% of Hispanics (sometimes even less than 3%) like DC, Atlanta, Houston, LA/the whole western US
That may apply to Houston and Los Angeles, sure, because those cities have MILLIONS of Hispanics. So you're more likely to notice Mexicans more than any other group. That's not really true of Atlanta and Raleigh. Puerto Ricans make up 12.3% of the Hispanic population in Atlanta and 10.4% of the Hispanic population in Raleigh compared to 14.1% in Baltimore City (and 30.&% in NYC, btw). So Puerto Ricans aren't really a stand out group among Hispanics in either city and even less so because Hispanics make up a small % of the population in general.

I would say Puerto Ricans are noticeable in some of the cities of Western Mass, Rhode Island, some cities in Upstate NY, Cleveland, Chicagoland/Milwaukee, Central Florida, and obviously the stretch from Philly/South Jersey through Connecticut. Everywhere else is more or less about the same.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
As for the states between Pennsylvania's southern border and Florida's northern border (Atlantic south , excluding Delaware which is undoubtedly the northeast and DC which is more comparable to a city then a state): I would say Virginia actually has the fastest growing Puerto Rican population of these states, followed by North Carolina, Maryland, Georgia, and far behind is South Carolina. The Atlantic south region in general, has one of the fastest growing Puerto Rican and Dominican populations outside Florida, and the Northeast states.
Virginia's population is not growing any faster than Georgia's. Just compare the 2014 and 2013 5-year estimates.

Georgia - 84,758
Maryland - 45,694
North Carolina - 82,771
South Carolina - 32,173
Virginia - 84,905

Georgia - 81,402
Maryland - 43,269
North Carolina - 77,153
South Carolina - 30,581
Virginia - 81,649

That's a 4.1% increase for GA, a 5.6% increase for MD, a 7.3% increase for NC, a 5.2% increase for SC, and a 4.0% increase for VA. Virginia has the slowest growth on a Y-o-Y basis.

I wouldn't expect a Puerto Rican explosion in any of these places, tbh. Mexicans and Central Americans often become unskilled and skilled labor and move to places where farming and construction opportunities are bountiful. That's part of the reason why those populations have grown around the DC area so quickly. The growth of a state's Puerto Rican population, however, will be largely commensurate with inflow from the NYC area. After Florida and New Jersey, North Carolina is the biggest recipient of NYC transplants, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that a good chunk of those transplants are of Puerto Rican background (and Italian).

Old 02-21-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Can you provide me with some sources for the Italian mafia? Sounds interesting: ours probably didn't last long due to the much smaller Italian population.
Baltimore never had a serious mafia presence according to Charlie Wilhelm, a self-described Baltimore "gangster."

Quote:
Though, strangely enough, nearby Baltimore attracted Italian immigrants and the sorts of industries ripe for mob activity, like ports, but it never had a serious Mafia presence. In his tell-all book Wised Up, reformed Baltimore gangster Charlie Wilhelm offers this idiosyncratic theory: “From the time I was a teenager, I was told there were just too many rats in Baltimore for the Mafia to trust any of us.”
https://newrepublic.com/article/8209...-washington-dc

Cleveland, Kansas City, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Providence, St. Louis and Syracuse.

I don't there was much of a Jewish mafia presence outside of NY/NJ.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,427 times
Quote:

I think what KodeBlue means is that Puerto Ricans make-up such a large portion of Baltimore's Hispanic population, nearly 20% of Hispanics are Puerto Rican (the total Baltimore Hispanic population is at 4.7% in 2014), compared to most other cities where Puerto Ricans make up less than 10% of Hispanics (sometimes even less than 3%) like DC, Atlanta, Houston, LA/the whole western US. And being that the Puerto Rican population is growing just as fast as other Hispanic groups, Puerto Ricans would probably remain at 20% of Hispanics for some time, soo in time when Baltimore's Hispanic population grows little by little Puerto Ricans will definitely be a significant part of the process. Currently, Southeast Baltimore does have a relatively noticeable concentration of Puerto Ricans (along with other Hispanics). The Bmore and DC metropolitan areas do have growing PR populations. Though, as other posters noted, Puerto Rican populations in Philly, NY, and Orlando definetly dwarf's Baltimore's PR population 10 times over.
Thanks for the info. My figure was based on the census of 2010.

80+ percent is still a vast majority IMO, but I get what you're saying.

I knew some Puerto Ricans and high school (a couple were also black), and when people found it out that they had family members that spoke only spanish, they would say, "Ohhhh, you're Mexican?" These people expected every Latino to be mestizo as well and couldn't grasp the white-black aspect of Puerto Rico.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. My figure was based on the census of 2010.
Any 1-year estimate for small populations must be taken with a grain of salt given the large margin of error associated with it.

Philadelphia - 133,535 (MOE 7,913)
Baltimore - 4,379 (MOE 1,811)
Washington - 3,968 (MOE 1,308)

The MOE for DC and Baltimore are HUGE relative to their Puerto Rican populations. The MOE for Baltimore is 41% of the estimated population. That would be like saying NYC may have a population of 12,000,000 or it may have a population of 4,926,000. Who would find that type of error acceptable?

The MOE for Philly is less than 6% of the estimated population. So we can have more confidence in that number. The smaller the population, the better off you are with a dataset that includes more years. A 1-year estimate is the least reliable for small populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.