Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:05 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would do a little reading up on current day Detroit versus the somewhat outdated vision of smoldering ruin as there is a lot of revitalization happening, and it's not the grim future you're alluding to.
Detroit is really "a tale of two cities".

One is the decline of manufacturing.

The other is the rebuilding of the city core.

The problem is that the jobs that were supposed to replace the blue-collar jobs are either not there (and are never coming back) or new service jobs, paying a lot less than traditional blue-collar jobs.

(i.e. you could raise a family and own a home/a cottage up north on the income earned in the plant, not so much working as a waitress or service clerk.)

Yes, Detroit is rebuilding, but we are right to skeptical about what is being built up to replace old industry.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm thrilled that Detroit is getting cleaned up and the atmosphere is full of hope - which has been lacking for years. I can't wait to see how much better the city gets in the next decade or two. I'm so impressed with how much Detroit has changed in only a few years.

However, it's very reflective of where this country is going. Less Manufacturing, More service, low wage and/or knowledge based jobs.

Knowledge based jobs are great for some people, but we still need jobs for people who aren't going to be scholars and 4 year college graduates. (And Michigan has a lot of those people)

I'm not thrilled that our area focuses so much on the "creative, hipster" class when that isn't going to practically help the population that is struggling to make ends meet in the "new economy".

It's cool that we have a growing food scene now, but I'd be happier if more people were making livable wages (i.e. able to buy a nice house/car, have money to go out and eat at the trendy restaurants, etc.).

People keep wondering why Donald Trump is popular and has gotten so far. It's really a no-brainer when you look at what's happening in Michigan - which is the future of America. We don't build things anymore and if we do, then we pay low wages (w/few exceptions) It's really that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 06:08 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Detroit is really "a tale of two cities".

One is the decline of manufacturing.

The other is the rebuilding of the city core.

The problem is that the jobs that were supposed to replace the blue-collar jobs are either not there (and are never coming back) or new service jobs, paying a lot less than traditional blue-collar jobs.

(i.e. you could raise a family and own a home/a cottage up north on the income earned in the plant, not so much working as a waitress or service clerk.)

Yes, Detroit is rebuilding, but we are right to skeptical about what is being built up to replace old industry.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm thrilled that Detroit is getting cleaned up and the atmosphere is full of hope - which has been lacking for years. I can't wait to see how much better the city gets in the next decade or two. I'm so impressed with how much Detroit has changed in only a few years.

However, it's very reflective of where this country is going. Less Manufacturing, More service, low wage and/or knowledge based jobs.

Knowledge based jobs are great for some people, but we still need jobs for people who aren't going to be scholars and 4 year college graduates. (And Michigan has a lot of those people)

I'm not thrilled that our area focuses so much on the "creative, hipster" class when that isn't going to practically help the population that is struggling to make ends meet in the "new economy".

It's cool that we have a growing food scene now, but I'd be happier if more people were making livable wages (i.e. able to buy a nice house/car, have money to go out and eat at the trendy restaurants, etc.).

People keep wondering why Donald Trump is popular and has gotten so far. It's really a no-brainer when you look at what's happening in Michigan - which is the future of America. We don't build things anymore and if we do, then we pay low wages (w/few exceptions) It's really that simple.
The service sector that is growing extensively is low wage you're absolutely right. However I don't think bringing manufacturing back will help us that much, mainly due to the fast innovation of technology. I don't think it would bring as many jobs as people say. It would help though, don't get me wrong.

I think it would be a combination of manufacturing and other industries like agriculture and any resource extraction industries would have to come back here and/or grow in order to get back to where we were. We would have to start exporting more in general. This would help the non-scholarly people in finding good job prospects. But politics prefers to keep them out of our country.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:16 PM

822 posts, read 857,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say Portland, Seattle, Austin, Denver, and San Francisco. These are the top cities loved by Millennials and they are the future of this country.
I would add Boston to that list ..

Old 02-24-2016, 07:50 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Maybe I misunderstand the definition of Millenials, but most if not all of these cities are unappealing to a majority of conservatives / Republicans of any age group, especially Seattle, Portland and San Fran.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Maybe I misunderstand the definition of Millenials, but most if not all of these cities are unappealing to a majority of conservatives / Republicans of any age group, especially Seattle, Portland and San Fran.
Millenials arent necessarily conservatives...its just that age group..liking urban techy areas

Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Houston peaked a year ago. These days, Houston has a rising unemployment rate, stagnant wages, rising COL and a workforce whose raw numbers declined 40,000 year to year.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:29 PM

196 posts, read 198,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Houston peaked a year ago. These days, Houston has a rising unemployment rate, stagnant wages, rising COL and a workforce whose raw numbers declined 40,000 year to year.
What you describe is merely temporary, just the typical ebb and flow associated with the Energy Industry currently.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:40 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
What you describe is merely temporary, just the typical ebb and flow associated with the Energy Industry currently.
We'll see. Only time will tell.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:28 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Boston does seem like a beautiful city (my time there was limited), but the metro is growing very slowly compared to Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Houston, Miami, Portland, San Antonio, San Francisco, San Francisco, and Seattle (ten large metros I can think of growing quickly). Although I am unsure why, exactly. Boston really does seem beautiful, and people say it has a lot of culture, so I would assume it would be expanding as well.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Boston does seem like a beautiful city (my time there was limited), but the metro is growing very slowly compared to Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Houston, Miami, Portland, San Antonio, San Francisco, San Francisco, and Seattle (ten large metros I can think of growing quickly). Although I am unsure why, exactly. Boston really does seem beautiful, and people say it has a lot of culture, so I would assume it would be expanding as well.
Boston(and the metro area) is in the midst of it's biggest building boom in it's entire history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.