Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 06:33 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
NC has mini mountains(if you want real mountains, gotta go out West). Not sure what the big deal is advertising the mountains in NC so much.

I prefer FL. Better for water activities(boating, fishing, diving/snorkeling/shelling, it simply feels more tropical, closer to a lower latitude lifestyle). I don't care much about 4 seasons either, or FL being flat. You have greater terrestrial and marine biodiversity, an extensive mangrove system teaming with life, caves/rivers/estuaries/bays/reefs/the FL Keys, you name it.. makes up for the lack of mountains.

COL outside South FL should be comparable to NC. As for people, INMO, this is subjective, everyone has different personal experiences.

MINI mountains ? you can't be serious.

www.carolinaliving.com for an overview of the whole state

www.romanticasheville.com for an overview of the Asheville area

Mt. Mitchell in western NC is over 6,000 ft. in elevation.

Must be a terrible place to live .... we have half of FL living here in the summer ! and many decide to bail out of FL altogether and live here year 'round. I also like some areas of FL -- for different reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 06:40 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,784 times
Quote:
NC has mini mountains(if you want real mountains, gotta go out West). Not sure what the big deal is advertising the mountains in NC so much.

I prefer FL. Better for water activities(boating, fishing, diving/snorkeling/shelling, it simply feels more tropical, closer to a lower latitude lifestyle). I don't care much about 4 seasons either, or FL being flat. You have greater terrestrial and marine biodiversity, an extensive mangrove system teaming with life, caves/rivers/estuaries/bays/reefs/the FL Keys, you name it.. makes up for the lack of mountains.

COL outside South FL should be comparable to NC. As for people, INMO, this is subjective, everyone has different personal experiences.

I saw a show about how the Appalachian Mountains were a barrier to westward exapantion. The transition from sea level to the spine of the Appalachians is generally greater than the transition from the Great Planes to the Rockies. Yes, the Applachians do not rise to an overall height as the Rockies I know but they are still beautiful

Old 03-02-2016, 07:14 AM

892 posts, read 859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
It seems your obsession is with crowded, international feel.
Yeah I like cities, you may not. Point is though, North Carolina has no alternate for Miami, there are no 'big' cities in North Carolina (at least the size of Miami).

Quote:
Too many that is not in the least bit important as better/nicer people and seasons, which NC most definitely has.
Let's expend on this 'nice people' theme more.

I will assume you're right and that North Carolina has nicer people. What does it really get you?

1)Do they bake you a pie when you move in?
2)Do they wave at you from their cars as they drive by?
3)Do cashiers make irrelevant small talk as you buy groceries?
4)When you fall asleep at a red, do they refrain from honking?

No seriously, being nice is nice. But I only interact with my family and friends anyways, and I don't rely on the "kindness of strangers" so I'm wondering for you to expend on this one.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Yeah I like cities, you may not. Point is though, North Carolina has no alternate for Miami, there are no 'big' cities in North Carolina (at least the size of Miami).

Let's expend on this 'nice people' theme more.

I will assume you're right and that North Carolina has nicer people. What does it really get you?

1)Do they bake you a pie when you move in?
2)Do they wave at you from their cars as they drive by?
3)Do cashiers make irrelevant small talk as you buy groceries?
4)When you fall asleep at a red, do they refrain from honking?

No seriously, being nice is nice. But I only interact with my family and friends anyways, and I don't rely on the "kindness of strangers" so I'm wondering for you to expend on this one.
They bake you a pie so they can come over and see inside your house and find out what kind of furniture you have and then gossip LOL

Sometimes irrelevant small talk is annoying but

Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I saw a show about how the Appalachian Mountains were a barrier to westward exapantion. The transition from sea level to the spine of the Appalachians is generally greater than the transition from the Great Planes to the Rockies. Yes, the Applachians do not rise to an overall height as the Rockies I know but they are still beautiful
So is the reef tract, the bays, mangrove system, estuaries, rivers, lakes, caves etc.. FL has a lot to counter offer in that respect. Being flat doesn't diminish natural beauty. So, it depends where someone is looking.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
I don't live in NC for the mountains, but come on...you can't beat 4 seasons.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:00 AM

892 posts, read 859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What's so special about 4 seasons and about NC's 4 seasons? The vast vast majority of US cities have 4 seasons, some with seasons even more pronounced than North Carolina.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
What's so special about 4 seasons and about NC's 4 seasons? The vast vast majority of US cities have 4 seasons, some with seasons even more pronounced than North Carolina.

Hah ! over here in the mountains that 4th season is normally very mild, the ground doesn't freeze.

Glad you love FL, different strokes for different folks. But there IS a reason why so many FL folks want to be here. Best you stay put in FL.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
What isn't special about it? Not everyone wants to sweat when they walk out their front door everyday. This thread is about Florida vs NC, not Florida vs the rest of the country.

I will also add that it's also different if you grew up in FL like I did. Couldn't wait to get out. There's a reason why Florida natives leave.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
So is the reef tract, the bays, mangrove system, estuaries, rivers, lakes, caves etc.. FL has a lot to counter offer in that respect. Being flat doesn't diminish natural beauty. So, it depends where someone is looking.
Exactly. 2 weekends ago, wife and I went down to Captiva Island. The island in itself is gorgeous -- everything about it. We also took a ride on the Captiva Cruise, which took use through the Pine Island Sound and it was breathtaking to say the least. I come from a mountainous area with 4 distinct seasons -- It was nice, but then so are a plethora of natural beauties in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Not everyone likes 4 seasons. I wouldn't mind moving up North. My wife, however, cannot stand anything remotely "cold," and neither can quite a few people I know. A real winter gets old FAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.