Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:19 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times

Advertisements

Key West is a dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
I think Key West is a beautiful city with its Victorian homes and its tropical look with Coconut Palms and Gulfstream waters, just don't like that Fantasy Week, that is freaky.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:06 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You obviously live a very financially successful life of luxury, and good for you. But for the average American, North Carolina is a better fit than South Florida. More affordable, more pleasant attitudes from people, better drivers, nice mild 4 seasons. Even if I become rich in the future, I'd rather live in a nice two-storey Victorian style home in a leafy suburb of the Upper Midwest, with a yard where my kids can play, than an oceanfront Miami Beach condo. Different strokes, fer different folks.
Yes. This. Big time. The OP is describing a world that does not exist for most Florida residents. And so it doesn't really hold any weight when the OP tries to say FL is better than NC because of the high-end lifestyle they are able to achieve.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:24 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes. This. Big time. The OP is describing a world that does not exist for most Florida residents. And so it doesn't really hold any weight when the OP tries to say FL is better than NC because of the high-end lifestyle they are able to achieve.
Precisely. Now, I am a Floridian who moved out, primarily because I fell in love with a Texan, but regardless I wanted to move out anyway and one reason, muggy hot weather aside, was part of the vanity and snobbery associated with Miami and the attitude of "oh look how much better it is here, I have a nice condo by the beach everywhere else is a frozen tundra/boring/full of hicks." I can't stand that attitude, and the attitude is often held by wealthy people who didn't even grow up here (because Miami, outside of its immediate coast and some wealthy suburbs, is actually one of the poorest major cities in the country) and came with already a ton of wealth in their pockets. Their experience doesn't represent the average Floridian or Miamian. Most people in Florida are middle or lower class. Most work blue collar jobs and their experience with the beach is pretty much the same as most people's: you tan, you fish, you barbecue, you swim, you have a good time but you also don't have every day access to it. I don't think its that different for coastal Carolinians who like the beach. Only difference is the length of swimming season.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:30 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Moved to General U.S. Forum.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:48 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

Miami is far bigger, more international and cosmopolitan than Charlotte. It's not even close. I'd argue that Miami has more of an urban/international/cosmopolitan feel than Atlanta, but at least there, they are in the same league. People from Charlotte view Atlanta as their 'big city.'

Florida has 2 cities in the same league as Charlotte, North Carolina's biggest city. The Tampa and Orlando area are both in the same league, and especially for Orlando I'd argue that they are more cosmopolitan than Charlotte still.

Florida overall has a much larger population and population density than North Carolina. Florida has 378 persons per square mile in comparison to North Carolina's 207 as of 2015. That's almost twice as many people per square mile.
Outside of Miami, I wouldn't label the rest of Florida cities as "Urban." High population density doesn't exactly make a city urban; In fact there's plenty of Southern cities I would actually label Urban before Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. Florida's major cities outside of Miami are Suburban as well...

Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Outside of Miami, I wouldn't label the rest of Florida cities as "Urban." High population density doesn't exactly make a city urban; In fact there's plenty of Southern cities I would actually label Urban before Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville. Florida's major cities outside of Miami are Suburban as well...
What about Tampa is suburban? Tampa is urban just like Miami. It's just not as big.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What about Tampa is suburban? Tampa is urban just like Miami. It's just not as big.
What exactly makes Tampa urban?

Tampa's walkable, but it's not exactly Urban.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:07 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
For me, it's a toss-up.

I'm from near Asheville and love the mountains and all they bring, especially during the warmer months. I'm outdoorsy and enjoy hiking, rafting, and the pleasant summers there. Still, not much employment in the area. Winters in the mountains can be tough. Even in Charlotte/Raleigh, one is still reasonably close to both mountains and beaches.

FL has better weather year-round, and IMO easier to get to the better scenery unless you're living in WNC.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:57 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
To live, NC. To visit, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.