Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not all of NY is expensive though. Most of Upstate NY's overall cost of living is around the national average. In fact, there are areas in VA, NC and even SC that have an overall COL on par, if not slightly higher than many Upstate NY areas. You just get hit in different ways.

If you like Ithaca, you could look into say areas outside of the city like Lansing, Trumansburg or even Dryden. You also have Cortland, which is about 20 minutes from Ithaca, but is only about 30 minutes from Syracuse and 35-40 minutes from Binghamton. Cortland, NY Community Videos - Welcome

You could also look into other NY areas. For instance, you may like Syracuse's East Side into adjacent parts of DeWitt, a suburb. It has walkable areas(Westcott Street and perhaps the DeWittshire/Orvilton area(East Genesee Street) of DeWitt), it is near Syracuse University, Le Moyne College, the VA/Crouse and SUNY-Upstate (3) hospitals, a couple of parks, the Westcott Theater, cafés, the Westcott Community Center(with Wednesday Farmers Market much of the year), the Real Food Co-OP Market, the Westcott Cultural Fair, etc. That is just one example and there are others that could possibly work for you. Westcott Neighborhood Association | Westcott Community

Westcott

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

UNPA | University Neighborhood Preservation Association

Welcome to University Hill!

The B.I.D. » Crouse-Marshall

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...ersityhill.htm

DeWittshire/Orvilton area of DeWitt(Jamesville-DeWitt SD), it is east of the areas mentioned above: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0352...7i13312!8i6656

Jamesville Dewitt School District
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 10:30 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
You mentioned Corvallis. Have you also considered Portland, OR? Or is that too much of a city?

Old 03-04-2016, 11:21 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Hearts View Post
Kyle19125, Charlottesville sounds like it fits my description. The cost of living looks a little higher than some other Virginia areas(not as much as New York) such as Roanoke or Richmond. Are those two cities similar to Charlottesville?
There are really not many similarities to Roanoke or Richmond when it comes to Charlottesville, which is primarily a college town of just 46K though it does have other economic factors involved. Roanoke is a small city (around 100K) that serves at the hub for SW Virginia and is a good bit more blue collar/rural in orientation. Richmond is more of a major city with some overlap with Charlottesville but as a city of 215K not really a fair comparison. Typically cost of living outside of a few instances is tied to desirability of living there, so in this case feel it probably is tied to that and would bear that in mind when comparing.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Not all of NY is expensive though. Most of Upstate NY's overall cost of living is around the national average. In fact, there are areas in VA, NC and even SC that have an overall COL on par, if not slightly higher than many Upstate NY areas. You just get hit in different ways.

If you like Ithaca, you could look into say areas outside of the city like Lansing, Trumansburg or even Dryden. You also have Cortland, which is about 20 minutes from Ithaca, but is only about 30 minutes from Syracuse and 35-40 minutes from Binghamton. Cortland, NY Community Videos - Welcome

You could also look into other NY areas. For instance, you may like Syracuse's East Side into adjacent parts of DeWitt, a suburb. It has walkable areas(Westcott Street and perhaps the DeWittshire/Orvilton area(East Genesee Street) of DeWitt), it is near Syracuse University, Le Moyne College, the VA/Crouse and SUNY-Upstate (3) hospitals, a couple of parks, the Westcott Theater, cafés, the Westcott Community Center(with Wednesday Farmers Market much of the year), the Real Food Co-OP Market, the Westcott Cultural Fair, etc. That is just one example and there are others that could possibly work for you. Westcott Neighborhood Association | Westcott Community

Westcott

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

UNPA | University Neighborhood Preservation Association

Welcome to University Hill!

The B.I.D. » Crouse-Marshall

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...ersityhill.htm
Another website and a couple of street views: Westcott Community

Businesses | Westcott Community

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0401...7i13312!8i6656 (Business district)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0398...7i13312!8i6656 (residential)

Old 03-04-2016, 02:10 PM

13 posts, read 13,718 times
blueskywalker, I have considered Portland. I have no problem with relocating across the country(Corvallis was my idea), I have been drawn to the PNW since I was a kid and would love to be there. I know my wife wouldn't feel comfortable being totally isolated from family in NY. I think Midway is her limit.

I also observed statements online and from a family friend living in Eugene that job hunting in Oregon can be difficult.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:29 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Madison, WI would be great. Not too big a city, but an urban feel. Huge university right in town. Infinitely more affordable than Bellingham, WA. Quite liberal, but not overly "granola" and not the same level of homeless like in Portland, OR. More moderate taxes than NY.

Only downside would be the weather - it's similar to update NY but with a bit less snow.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
More info: Home » Onondaga County Parks

For the misses: https://www.hillside.com/work/

For you: Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES

Syracuse Educational Opportunity Center

Here is another place in the area that may fit: Village of Liverpool - Village of Liverpool

https://goo.gl/maps/q2EQdtszJCD2

Syracuse, NY Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder

Old 03-04-2016, 05:02 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
blueskywalker, I have considered Portland. I have no problem with relocating across the country(Corvallis was my idea), I have been drawn to the PNW since I was a kid and would love to be there. I know my wife wouldn't feel comfortable being totally isolated from family in NY. I think Midway is her limit.

I also observed statements online and from a family friend living in Eugene that job hunting in Oregon can be difficult.
Ah, i see. Interesting that you've been drawn there for so long. I'm not contesting your wife but a couple more hours on a plane re; her family? I'm not sure she would feel any less isolated from them if she was in the mid-west.
Also, as north-easterners you both might feel a lot more comfortable in Oregon that you would in the mid-west. Or mid-Atlantic. Or southeast.
Regarding employment in Oregon. I can't speak to that but i imagine it depends on where you are in Oregon and what kind of work you do.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:32 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:

Perhaps check out the earthquake risk. See post 46 and beyond in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...isaster-5.html

Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 PM

In the Midwest, you may like Lansing/East Lansing, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor or even Kalamazoo in MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.