Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:30 PM

286 posts, read 294,971 times

Advertisements

i had a few cities i was looking to relocate to that are on the back burner to other cities but they would be m first choices if it wasn't for humidity and oppressive summers

tampa , dallas, austin, san antonio

how bad is humidity in these cities? and for those who live in humid places how do you deal with, i hate the feeling of sweating and feeling like you smell like a** just for walking to your mailbox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 04:39 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Be warned - there's a sizable contingent of folks who believe Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio are dry because they're "not as humid as Houston." Sorry but all three of them are humid, and since you're on the west coast they'll be noticeably and uncomfortably so.

It does NOT cool off appreciably at night during the summer in any of those 3 cities and average daytime highs are in the 90s for 3 months. You will live in air conditioning from mid/late June til mid-September.

I moved to Dallas from Colorado and I'm eternally grateful to be back in Colorado because I'll never have to endure one of the Metroplex's wretched summers ever again.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
To be honest, in Dallas, most people don't go outside during the summers except to and from their car, and they usually have the air conditioning on or windows down (or both ) when they are in their cars. That is presumably how they get used to it. BlueScreen does have a point Dallas is humid, regardless of how humid Houston is (which is horribly so). I'm sort of a native to the metroplex and I've spent most my life in other humid cities (Houston and Seoul being the main ones), so what I say will not really match you well since I've gotten used to the humidity.

That said, these are my experiences. I usually don't sweat just going outside to get the mail or help bring in groceries in the sun, so, in your example, you should be okay. One major thing I do. Do not wear leather or polyester jackets during the summer, you will feel gross and sticky if you are anything like me. I wear jackets so that I do not get a tan while I am out traveling or exercising and the interior of those clothing will stick to you, even if you aren't sweating. Also, if by oppressive summers, you also mean the heat, you can try using an umbrella. I almost always carry an umbrella with me during the summer in case it gets too hot for jackets.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 PM

603 posts, read 931,293 times
Speaking for Austin, it's bad. Could it be worse? Of course, but that knowledge won't help you when you are living here. Every place is heavily air conditioned but still you'll notice it. When you get into your car that has been parked in the sunlight, it will be like climbing into an oven. Do you like to do things outdoors? You will need to do them early in the morning or late in the evening, and even with that you will still sweat. With time, your body does adapt and deal with the intense, long summers better but it will remain a factor in your comfort. Keep in mind that what people consider summer temps in other parts of the country will occur six months of the year.

San Antonio's weather is nearly identical to Austin. Dallas is a little bit different. The summers are ever so slightly shorter and nighttime lows in July and August are higher than Austin's. I am guessing that is due to a larger urban island effect.

If you are concerned with humid, oppressive summers, I'd look at other options than the cities you've listed. Those cities have amazing in other ways but the weather is not what you are looking for.

I sound very negative but that is because I too dislike hot, humid weather, yet I've survived in Austin for twenty years. Every year though I swear I'm moving instead of going through another summer. I fear this summer is going to be another 2011.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
I did a study years ago of the most humid cities based on temp vs. humidity during the summer and how they combine. Here are my results (temp/humidity):

1. Miami 84/65
2. New Orleans 83/66
3. Houston 84/62
4. Tampa 83/63
5. Memphis 83/58
6. Orlando 82/59
7. Jacksonville 82/59
8. Kansas City 79/62
9. Dallas 85/54
10. Little Rock 82/56

Runnersup: Atlanta 80/58, Nashville 79/59, Oklahoma City 82/55

Surprisingly in my research, Charlotte, Washington DC, and Philadelphia follow below this level, though still are considered humid during the summer. Other cities are humid at times but really don't make the "humid" grade overall...this would include Indianapolis, New York City, Cincinnati, and Chicago.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:32 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
I think DC would have to be near the top, you have to take into account the urban heat island effect . you get out of urban places like dc or nyc in the summer to a surrounding rural area and you really notice a difference in lower temps and air quality

Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
To determine if you are going to feel like a sweaty mess, it is best to look at dew points rather than relative humidity. I am fine with dew points below 65, and dew points over 70 are basically miserable.

At any rate, anywhere in the eastern half of Texas and all of Florida is going to be hot and humid, i.e. high dew points, for months in the summer.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 PM

448 posts, read 591,756 times
I live outside of San Antonio and I visited Tampa last summer. It's humid and hot in San Antonio, the nights are humid and hot, I can be at an outside bar in San Antonio and be sweating at midnight.

When I went to Tampa it was so much more humid and hotter, like instant wetness. It just felt so dang hot there.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Lived in Nashville for 5 years. How did I cope? Well, as a woman, I quit trying to curl my straight hair LOL. Got a perm. Think about how your hair reacts to high humidity.

Forget wearing silk. It will stick to you and make you feel miserable. Don't even think about wearing hose.

When you go outside, you will develop a sheen of sweat beneath your clothing, which will feel freezing and wet when you go back indoors into the air conditioning. Take your makeup with you everywhere, as you'll have to fix and reapply it constantly.

Get used to taking multiple showers and washing your hair every day.

Large bugs love humid weather. They will also be a part of your life.

Happy to be back on the west coast.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:07 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I did a study years ago of the most humid cities based on temp vs. humidity during the summer and how they combine. Here are my results (temp/humidity):

1. Miami 84/65
2. New Orleans 83/66
3. Houston 84/62
4. Tampa 83/63
5. Memphis 83/58
6. Orlando 82/59
7. Jacksonville 82/59
8. Kansas City 79/62
9. Dallas 85/54
10. Little Rock 82/56

Runnersup: Atlanta 80/58, Nashville 79/59, Oklahoma City 82/55
So basically the South? lol.

Most of the South is Hot and Humid; that's just the reality of living down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.