Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:23 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
There are people with the means to live in both places who choose Florida.
Yep. The water along much of the Gulf is warmer than the Pacific Ocean along the coast of California, the water is clearer, and the sand is different in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
OMG, The alligators scare me. I won't live near a canal. I will try to live close to the beach as possible because there are no gators there. I would worry about my dogs.
I agree with ExpatCA re the Tampa Bay area. I have been there during each of the four seasons, and I haven't had an issue with bugs.

Re humidity, I like humidity. Given that, and trying to give advice...going by how the air feels/IMO if you are okay with how humidity feels in many of the states in the NE part of the U.S., then you will be fine anywhere in the northern half of Florida. If you feel that you could tolerate more humidity, then the southern half of Florida opens up to you.

If you want to avoid Bubbas (LOL), to make choosing easier, I'd avoid the Panhandle. Orlando is great for some things, but obviously not if you want to be near the beaches.

My suggestion...Pinellas County (part of the Tampa Bay area)....specifically Dunedin, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon Springs. Crime is pretty low. Great access to the beaches on Honeymoon Island (via Causeway Caladesi Island, and Clearwater Beach. The Pinellas Trail (an old railroad right of way) goes North/South through Pinellas County, and you could run or walk your dogs along the trail. IIRC, Pinellas is the most densely populated county in Florida. Clearwater Beach especially can get crowded. The great thing though is that Florida allows people to drive scooters with engines up to I think it is 50ccs or 60ccs...might be 75ccs with just a regular DL...don't have to pass a motorcycle test. With one of those....much quicker re getting to beaches when there is traffic. Much north of Tarpon Springs...say Holiday or north of Holiday.....Bubbas. Safety Harbor is great as well, but it is on the bay, rather than St. Joseph's Sound, so farther away from beaches on the Gulf. Re extra work, Bay Care Health System has four hospitals in the general area...2 in Dunedin, 1 in Safety Harbor, and 1 in Clearwater. The air in the area is pretty good too, much better than say at Apollo Beach on the other side of the metro near I-75 and, IIRC, a power plant.

St John's County (St Augustine, etc.), south of Jacksonville is also nice, but I don't like the water and the beaches as much as the beaches on the Gulf side of Florida.

From the Tampa Bay area, you can also take day trips south to Sanibel Island and Captiva Island.

So, given your particular situation, I think Florida is a better choice than California....and, like expatCA, I am a native Californian (I currently live in Texas).

Old 04-08-2016, 08:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
It's vastly more complicated than 'California is more expensive, and Florida has to income tax'.

First, you're neither going to be living in all of California nor all of Florida. Malibu is not Bakersfield. Tampa is not Lake City. So you should really narrow the comparison down to where you're likely to live in each state.

Second, by combining average state and municipal taxes, you can expect to pay about 9% in Florida and 11% in California. On the other hand, you'll likely be paying that higher percentage on higher wages, because the average income in California is considerably higher than in Florida.

Third, if cost is the bottom line, why not just buy a double-wide somewhere in rural North Dakota? Well, the answer is that you're willing to spend for what you want, not on the bare minimum to keep yourself alive. So act accordingly.

Really, this is about you. Others can point out the pros and cons, but the weight given to each must be your own subjective value.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 PM

400 posts, read 449,215 times
[quote=Unsettomati;43642542]
Second, by combining average state and municipal taxes, you can expect to pay about 9% in Florida and 11% in California. On the other hand, you'll likely be paying that higher percentage on higher wages, because the average income in California is considerably higher than in Florida.
quote]

I think the OP stated she will keep her same job that pays $81k a year since she can perform the job by teleworking exclusively. So her wages wouldn't change.

Still, California and Florida are very different in many respects. OP I would just visit both and weigh the pros and cons.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:15 PM

96 posts, read 111,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I agree with ExpatCA re the Tampa Bay area. I have been there during each of the four seasons, and I haven't had an issue with bugs.

Re humidity, I like humidity. Given that, and trying to give advice...going by how the air feels/IMO if you are okay with how humidity feels in many of the states in the NE part of the U.S., then you will be fine anywhere in the northern half of Florida. If you feel that you could tolerate more humidity, then the southern half of Florida opens up to you.

If you want to avoid Bubbas (LOL), to make choosing easier, I'd avoid the Panhandle. Orlando is great for some things, but obviously not if you want to be near the beaches.

My suggestion...Pinellas County (part of the Tampa Bay area)....specifically Dunedin, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon Springs. Crime is pretty low. Great access to the beaches on Honeymoon Island (via Causeway Caladesi Island, and Clearwater Beach. The Pinellas Trail (an old railroad right of way) goes North/South through Pinellas County, and you could run or walk your dogs along the trail. IIRC, Pinellas is the most densely populated county in Florida. Clearwater Beach especially can get crowded. The great thing though is that Florida allows people to drive scooters with engines up to I think it is 50ccs or 60ccs...might be 75ccs with just a regular DL...don't have to pass a motorcycle test. With one of those....much quicker re getting to beaches when there is traffic. Much north of Tarpon Springs...say Holiday or north of Holiday.....Bubbas. Safety Harbor is great as well, but it is on the bay, rather than St. Joseph's Sound, so farther away from beaches on the Gulf. Re extra work, Bay Care Health System has four hospitals in the general area...2 in Dunedin, 1 in Safety Harbor, and 1 in Clearwater. The air in the area is pretty good too, much better than say at Apollo Beach on the other side of the metro near I-75 and, IIRC, a power plant.

St John's County (St Augustine, etc.), south of Jacksonville is also nice, but I don't like the water and the beaches as much as the beaches on the Gulf side of Florida.

From the Tampa Bay area, you can also take day trips south to Sanibel Island and Captiva Island.

So, given your particular situation, I think Florida is a better choice than California....and, like expatCA, I am a native Californian (I currently live in Texas).

Thank you very much for the specific information. This helps me research these areas more now that I know about them. It' so hard to choose a place to move sight unseen. I only went to each state on vacation but it's totally different living there.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM

96 posts, read 111,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's vastly more complicated than 'California is more expensive, and Florida has to income tax'.

First, you're neither going to be living in all of California nor all of Florida. Malibu is not Bakersfield. Tampa is not Lake City. So you should really narrow the comparison down to where you're likely to live in each state.

Third, if cost is the bottom line, why not just buy a double-wide somewhere in rural North Dakota? Well, the answer is that you're willing to spend for what you want, not on the bare minimum to keep yourself alive. So act accordingly.

Really, this is about you. Others can point out the pros and cons, but the weight given to each must be your own subjective value.

Yes, but I appreciate everyone telling me areas that are good and not so good. It's very difficult looking for an area to move when I don't know anything about it.

I don't want to struggle financiallly just to pay rent. It seem like the better quality of life would be in Florida.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for the specific information. This helps me research these areas more now that I know about them. It' so hard to choose a place to move sight unseen. I only went to each state on vacation but it's totally different living there.
You're very welcome. Sometime within the next few years I'm probably going to start spending just under half of the year in Florida. This will either be near Pensacola (panhandle), or Dunedin/Palm Harbor, or about 135 or so miles south of Palm Harbor/Dunedin...in Matlacha/ or Pine Island/or Sanibel Island. I have a feeling I'll pick Dunedin/Palm Harbor re proximity to a major city. With my recommendation, I tried to not look at what I like and instead follow what you wrote in your post. Functionally, I have absolutely no familiarity with the part of the Atlantic Coast south of the St. Augustine area and north of the Palm Beach area (have pretty much just passed through on the highway), but I'm at least fairly familiar with quite a few other areas.

You can use the Clearwater Memorial Causeway to go over the Intracoastal Waterway from Clearwater to Clearwater Beach. Clearwater Beach is the northernmost of the 'barrier island cities'. You can then take Gulf Blvd south for almost 23 miles to the Pass-A-Grille Historic District/Pass-A-Grille Beach at the southern end of St. Pete's Beach (a beautiful area). As recently as 2012, approximately the middle half of those 23 miles = a hidden gem.....low rise buildings, very little commerce, quiet, the Gulf just steps away, people exercising and just quietly enjoying their surroundings. I went back in late 2014...no longer undiscovered. A fair number of owners of modest properties on the beach side had apparently gotten offers they couldn't refuse...and high rise condos were starting to go up...ugh (probably will never reach the high rise density of Clearwater Beach though). I bring this up because, while I was there, I noticed that this had NOT happened in Dunedin...and someone told me that Dunedin had passed a height restriction for buildings to prevent what was happening in that 'mid barrier island' area. I haven't done any research to find out if that height ban does exist in Dunedin, but it might be something to look into.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, but I appreciate everyone telling me areas that are good and not so good. It's very difficult looking for an area to move when I don't know anything about it.

I don't want to struggle financiallly just to pay rent. It seem like the better quality of life would be in Florida.

I'm wondering if Unsettomati's tax numbers for Florida and California have the assumption baked in that the person would be a homeowner. The property tax RATES, and also homeowner's insurance RATES would be higher in Florida, but if you are renting the property owner would be paying that...you wouldn't be paying it directly. Florida has no state income tax, while in California you would be paying at least 8% (Rate) on any amount over $40,250 (for 2015).

If one compares similar situations in California and Florida (same crime rate, same garage situation, people of the same gender, occupation, age, and credit score), you will probably pay more for car insurance in Florida, because Florida is a 'no fault insurance state' and California is not.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM

581 posts, read 920,634 times
I am a California native who grew up in Santa Monica six blocks from the ocean. It was a great place in the 60's and 70's to live. I went to UCLA, became an engineer, got recruited by an aerospace company and retired after 27 years. I have owned my home in great part of west Los Angeles since the late 70's. As the traffic and people congestion started changing drastically in the last ten years or so I started looking at alternatives much like you're doing. After much much research, extended visits and using this forum I decided on buying a house in Atlantuc Beach, Fl. It reminds of Santa Monica when I was growing up. The house is four blocks from the ocean and the beach there has very little public parking so we've never seen it crowded. As far as humidity I read all the horror stories but have actually grown to like it. Bugs have not been a problem for us (we do have a regular pest control service). I have only seen alligators in alligator farms. I fly fish so I'm around the intercostal water way a fair amount both in boats and wading and have never seen a snake.

It's been 8 years since I bought the house in Atlantic Beach and still own and maintain my LA home since it's paid for. We do travel back and forth but I plan on selling the house in LA early next year and making Atlantic Beach our full time home.

I know it's probably more info than you want but I hope my research and ultimate decision can give some insight into another person's perspective.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
I am a California native who grew up in Santa Monica six blocks from the ocean. It was a great place in the 60's and 70's to live. I went to UCLA, became an engineer, got recruited by an aerospace company and retired after 27 years. I have owned my home in great part of west Los Angeles since the late 70's. As the traffic and people congestion started changing drastically in the last ten years or so I started looking at alternatives much like you're doing. After much much research, extended visits and using this forum I decided on buying a house in Atlantuc Beach, Fl. It reminds of Santa Monica when I was growing up. The house is four blocks from the ocean and the beach there has very little public parking so we've never seen it crowded. As far as humidity I read all the horror stories but have actually grown to like it. Bugs have not been a problem for us (we do have a regular pest control service). I have only seen alligators in alligator farms. I fly fish so I'm around the intercostal water way a fair amount both in boats and wading and have never seen a snake.

It's been 8 years since I bought the house in Atlantic Beach and still own and maintain my LA home since it's paid for. We do travel back and forth but I plan on selling the house in LA early next year and making Atlantic Beach our full time home.

I know it's probably more info than you want but I hope my research and ultimate decision can give some insight into another person's perspective.
If you want to slow down thats not a bad way to go. We were in Texas and Florida for a long time and initially I didnt miss California, but about 5-7 years in I started to miss certain things and we traveled back n forth. After 12 years, I decided I had to get back. The outdoor lifestyle in coastal California is really unmatched. Where we are now, you can enjoy being outside every day of the year it really changes your life. I enjoyed south Florida in winter although to 'get away' it was very long distances. In California diverse terrain and weather is only 2-3 hours away in any direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.