Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:03 PM
775 775 started this thread

34 posts, read 46,598 times

Advertisements

Time to move. I have a feeling what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

Since cheap cost of living is all relative I will point out I live in northern Nevada. A "starter home" in the city I live in will run you about 300K. Where I'm originally from 300K will buy you 3K+ sq. ft. with a pool and 3 car garage so it's hard for me to wrap my head around the housing costs here.

I will only live in the western half of the country (west of the Rockies) due to my love of the dry climate and big mountains. Also my hatred for every other part of the country.

I've never lived in a state that has state income tax. I can't say for sure this would be a deal breaker because I don't really know how much it would affect my paycheck. Still, I'd prefer to stay in a state with no state tax. Greatly limits the possibilities, I know.

I will need to find a job. I work in the supply chain/warehousing industry. I will need to make more than the standard lives-at-home-with-parents pay scale of 12-15/hr.

My only must have is a 24 hour gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Seven U.S. states currently don't have an income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

Yep.Limiting.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:41 AM

109 posts, read 95,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Seven U.S. states currently don't have an income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

Yep.Limiting.

That's quite a lot of options there! Amazing places exist in all those states!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:47 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 775 View Post
Also my hatred for every other part of the country.
You live in a part of the country that is mostly land-locked, isolated and barren and yet you tell us about your "hatred" for every other part of the country?

It is to laugh.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

Yep.Limiting.
NH does not have an income tax, does tax interest and dividend income, however.
TN does not have an income tax, does tax investments.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You live in a part of the country that is mostly land-locked, isolated and barren and yet you tell us about your "hatred" for every other part of the country?

It is to laugh.
I see someone gets butthurt easily.

Name: BigCityDreamer

All signs are pointing to you never having been to or seen anything out west. Why don't you further elaborate on this theory of yours that the entire west half of the country is "land-locked, isolated and barren", and then I feel we will have our laugh.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:40 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 775 View Post
I see someone gets butthurt easily.

Name: BigCityDreamer

All signs are pointing to you never having been to or seen anything out west. Why don't you further elaborate on this theory of yours that the entire west half of the country is "land-locked, isolated and barren", and then I feel we will have our laugh.
I think the poster was just referencing your current location (present tense), and most people would consider northern Nevada land-locked and relatively isolated. Barren, I won't really comment on.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-transplant-150988 View Post
That's quite a lot of options there! Amazing places exist in all those states!
Only 4 of those are in the west. I live in one, and it's expensive as f*ck so Nevada is out. Washington is also expensive as f*ck so that's out. Alaska? Don't know if it's expensive or not, but that isn't going to happen. So that leaves me with Wyoming. Which I know nothing about other than the conspiracy nuts say it's about to explode.

Again, I did not say state income tax was an absolute deal breaker. If the housing costs were low enough, and the possibility of finding a decent job exists, I would consider one of the other states.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I think the poster was just referencing your current location (present tense), and most people would consider northern Nevada land-locked and relatively isolated. Barren, I won't really comment on.
I live 30 minutes to Lake Tahoe. Yeah, really isolated and barren.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:53 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Guess you could try Idaho.

The 5 Cheapest States to Live In -- The Motley Fool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.