Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:02 AM

902 posts, read 1,104,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Seven U.S. states currently don't have an income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

Yep.Limiting.
Texas while having no income tax is notorious for insanely high property taxes
Florida while having no income tax is notorious for petty speeding tickets 37mph in a 35 zone etc

they will get their money one way or the other

also keep in mind some states have very low income tax, in your probable income range it would have little effect anyway

Last edited by azsportpilot; 04-13-2016 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:15 AM

also keep in mind that some states have no sales tax, which would likely have a bigger positive impact on your budget than no income tax

DE, NH and MT have no sales tax

no sales tax benefits everyone, no income tax most benefits persons with high incomes

when looking at the income tax rate of a state you must factor in sales tax and property tax also

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ndation_v2.gif

Last edited by azsportpilot; 04-13-2016 at 11:28 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM

as you can see on this graph, income tax (state & Federal) has no effect on people earning $0-$20k and little effect on people earning $20k-$40k

conversely Sales and Property Taxes have a huge impact for anyone earning under $60k

Income tax only starts to outweigh the others when income rises above $80k
Attached Thumbnails
Cheapest cost of living in a place that doesn't suck-average_state_and_local_taxes_for_all_states-_2007.jpg  

Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 775 View Post
I see someone gets butthurt easily.

Name: BigCityDreamer

All signs are pointing to you never having been to or seen anything out west. Why don't you further elaborate on this theory of yours that the entire west half of the country is "land-locked, isolated and barren", and then I feel we will have our laugh.
Yikes, lol. I don't think the poster was "butthurt" at all, (weather right or wrong) they just made an observation. But I would think most of us can sense a hostility in your posts ("hatred for EVERY other part of the country", "butthurt"), seemingly out of nowhere, that make's you seem a bit butthurt for some reason. It probably does evoke a chuckle here and there. Anyway, hope you find the place your're looking for.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:47 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Reno might be why lol. Am I right though, Reno?

The Southwest is incredibly cheap and affordable. however the economy is somewhat minimal, even in Phoenix to an extent. You can find starter homes in Phoenix in safe but not most desirable areas for half of your price. Also mountains and and dry air and stuff.

Wyoming looks pretty cheap too. No income tax and stuff. But it's also Wyoming. Windy! and Cheyenne is really close to Denver which could be cool.

Alaska is expensive. I saw a photo the other day of a regular-sized PB jar going for more than $10. If a place can have unaffordable peanut butter, then I don't even want to know what everything else costs up there. But it sure is beautiful.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 PM

256 posts, read 265,698 times
Maybe eastern Washington? When you say Washington is expensive have you looked into the eastern part of the state at all? It really isn't expensive and there's a lot of nice areas in Spokane. It's also dry like Nevada but just looks nicer.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:51 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
I was thinking Boise, ID, Spokane, WA, Tucson, AZ, or somewhere in New Mexico.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:09 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Where are you from originally where you get all that for 300k?

Old 04-15-2016, 07:45 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
West of the Rockies? Cheap? Probably small towns in Nevada and Arizona are the only options. There is nothing cheap in Washington, Oregon, or California.

Technically, Arizona doesn't really count as west of the Rockies, but it is geographically in the western states and some of the smaller towns are pretty reasonable and there are some attractive areas.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:12 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Meh, the Rockies run on a diagonal, but dip into NM and run strong through CO..... Arizona is definitely west of that, plus the whole dry and mountainous thing

What price range are you looking for as it relates to housing and cost of living.

I definitely wouldn't consider eastern WA as expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.