Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
For the 6 days a year it isn't cloudy and/or raining you mean?
Total exaggeration, but folks love to do that on here. Actually Seattle has some of the bluest skies due to the reflection off Puget Sound and lakes around the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUzNtqu3zQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 PM

145 posts, read 402,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Total exaggeration, but folks love to do that on here.
Yeah, it was meant to be an exaggeration - hence the smiley face.

I've spent 6 weeks in Seattle (mostly 1 week at a time) for business trips and I don't think I EVER saw the sun once. Granted, my trips were not during Summer, but one or two of them were in late Spring or Early Fall (I remember it being "around" Summer) and it was just downright depressing every day. I guess I've just been unlucky, although I know 2 people who moved from Colorado to Seattle and both said that they missed the (fairly regular) sunshine terribly.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:05 PM

And my sharing Perry Como was also meant to be an exaggeration. No harm, no foul!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Total exaggeration, but folks love to do that on here. Actually Seattle has some of the bluest skies due to the reflection off Puget Sound and lakes around the area.
Then why does Arizona have such blue skies? I don't know if it has to do with water anymore lol.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:52 PM

This is beyond my pay-grade. I always thought water creates bluer skies, but I don't know for sure. Perhaps some expert can clue us all in!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:59 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,754,482 times
Gulf Coast of FL two weeks ago; beautiful blue sky and white clouds with a low humidity/dewpoint. It was so striking, I got off my bike to take this phone pic.
Some of the bluest skies I've seen have been in the desert in Tucson and here in FL.
Attachment 169012

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:08 AM..

Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM

145 posts, read 402,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Then why does Arizona have such blue skies? I don't know if it has to do with water anymore lol.
Quote:
This is beyond my pay-grade. I always thought water creates bluer skies, but I don't know for sure. Perhaps some expert can clue us all in!
I don't think it has anything to do with water. I found some articles which explain why the sky is blue (see below). It seems that it has to do more with how the atmosphere absorbs and reflects various wavelengths of white light from the sun. This might explain how the sky can be so insanely blue in Colorado due to there being less atmosphere and thinner air at high elevation. Not sure.

Why is the sky blue?| Explore | physics.org
Why Is the Sky Blue?
Why is the Sky Blue?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with water. I found some articles which explain why the sky is blue (see below). It seems that it has to do more with how the atmosphere absorbs and reflects various wavelengths of white light from the sun. This might explain how the sky can be so insanely blue in Colorado due to there being less atmosphere and thinner air at high elevation. Not sure.

Why Is the Sky Blue?
Why is the Sky Blue?
So, don't live in New Orleans since it's below sea level?

Old 04-29-2016, 03:52 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:

Why Is the Sky Blue?
Why is the Sky Blue?
charlatan! that guy spends most of his time at our scientist conventions stuffing his face with jelly-doughnuts, playing Ms Pac-Man down by the pool and stealing coffee packets and little soap bars from the housekeeping carts.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:47 AM

102 posts, read 129,441 times
Quote:
Yeah, it was meant to be an exaggeration - hence the smiley face.

I've spent 6 weeks in Seattle (mostly 1 week at a time) for business trips and I don't think I EVER saw the sun once. Granted, my trips were not during Summer, but one or two of them were in late Spring or Early Fall (I remember it being "around" Summer) and it was just downright depressing every day. I guess I've just been unlucky, although I know 2 people who moved from Colorado to Seattle and both said that they missed the (fairly regular) sunshine terribly.
I won't lie, I love Seattle but did miss the sun while living there. I lived there for about 20 years, most of my life (spent my childhood in Southern California). However, some years are cloudier and more gray than others. It really doesn't rain in Seattle as much as people think. But, there are a lot of cloudy, gray days. But when it is sunny out, it's truly glorious. It's pretty sunny during the summer and into the Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.