Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:56 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think Indianapolis and Des Moines are somewhat surprising that they ranked so poorly.
I'm not surprised, especially about DSM. While they do have a bit of a bike culture (and it seems to be getting more prevalent with the addition/extension of bike trails), the outdoor recreation leaves a lot to be desired. There isn't a big 5K/half marathon scene, cross-country skiing is virtually non-existent, and most decent hiking is several hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 10:14 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta being one of the only southern metros to land in the top 25 most healthy at #78. I've always said people here in Atlanta are more fit than your average southern city or metro. I don't know why though...probably because of the "Hollywood" factor and people wanting to look as great as they can.
How can you possibly know this? Sounds like you have a confirmation bias.

Wallethub is relying on a landline phone survey of people, not medical records provided by physicians showing a diagnosis of obesity. I don't think cites can be ranked credibily in terms of fitness based on a phone survey with a limited sample size.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:58 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Louisiana is kind of a difficult one due to the types of cuisine prevalent here. We eat a lot of meats and crawfish, fish, and other types of seafood and usually with rice. There are actually a lot of cooked down vegetables such as onion, and celery in the cooking so its not technically going without a serving of vegetables. Also as far as least physical, I definitely think that is false. Lots of people here are oil workers and manual laborers. they works their hands and bodies to the bones. This is NOT a lazy place at all. Now the obesity problem due to the amazing variety of food here is pretty true. This metro loves to eat and often.
But overall, I think this index is trying to fit everyone into some kind of national diet standard without considering regional cuisine styles and traditions. Furthermore, we actually have several restaurants with dance floors due to cajun heritage of dancing after meals. What other places have that?!

Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
The restaurants in Shreveport Bossier which is number 2 on the fattest list tend to be fried chicken drive thru and soul food restaurants which serve copious amounts of greasy fried foods with gallons of sweet tea. Comfort foods they are, but many people rely solely on these offerings. It is hard to convince people to try other things without a citywide educational program or PSA's. I would venture to say that we probably have the most fried chicken and fried fish take outs per capita of almost any city.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:13 PM

286 posts, read 295,200 times
very confusing list to comprehend

however no real surprise, southern cities with hot humid oppressive summers, fried food are obese. cities with overall great weather and outdoors are fit. no shock

Old 04-30-2016, 04:14 PM

there is fried food everywhere. You can get KFC in California. i would think cold weather places would have more obesity b/c who wants to be active in the cold.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
there is fried food everywhere. You can get KFC in California. i would think cold weather places would have more obesity b/c who wants to be active in the cold.
Certainly there is fried food everywhere, but on every street corner? Even the gas stations here have fried chicken, fish, potato logs, egg rolls, etc. The majority of the gas stations here feature these. Couple that with Church's and Popeyes everywhere and what do you get? Obesity.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Certainly there is fried food everywhere, but on every street corner? Even the gas stations here have fried chicken, fish, potato logs, egg rolls, etc. The majority of the gas stations here feature these. Couple that with Church's and Popeyes everywhere and what do you get? Obesity.
You realize other foods have calories, right? It is not just fried foods. Something like pizza probbably worse than fried fod for gaining weight.

So gas stations outside of the south never have any fried food offerings?

Having a lot of fried food places doesn't mean everybody eats there all the time.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
You realize other foods have calories, right? It is not just fried foods. Something like pizza probbably worse than fried fod for gaining weight.

So gas stations outside of the south never have any fried food offerings?

Having a lot of fried food places doesn't mean everybody eats there all the time.
But plenty do. Every time I go in one there is always someone in there buying that stuff. Always, or a 12 or case of beer. Pizza is not a real deal here although many eat it regularly. The main culprit is fried chicken here. Now where you come from maybe it isn't. But those places are all over the metro.

Also the lack of regular exercise has hurt many people's health. People don't exercise as they should. No walking areas or cycling.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:15 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
No surprise with SACRAMENTO, it usually ranks really high on the overall healthy cities lists.

SACRAMENTO was ranked higher than all of these "Media-Darling-mega hipster" cities.
100=the healthiest

96 - SACRAMENTO

94 - SF
92 - Denver

87 - San Diego
86 - Portland
85 - SLC
81 - Seattle

70 - Phoenix
66 - LA

56 - Austin

Last edited by Chimérique; 04-30-2016 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.