Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:15 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

I have often considered the west to be divided into the Coast, the northwest, the southwest, the interior west, and the western plains.

The coast is a cultural zone in itself and kind of exists over-lapping the other regions.

The northwest to me is Northern California, Oregon, Washington

The interior west being Idaho, Utah, eastern Montana, eastern Wyoming and eastern Colorado.

The western plains being the remainder of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado where it melts into the Midwest/frontier strip.

The southwest being Southern/Central California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico. I am of two minds on this because I personally consider New Mexico and Arizona the western most reaches of "the American south". They were confederate land claims and were settled largely by southerners and today share political culture with the south in general.

California/Nevada form what I consider the southwest as applicable exclusively to the west, without strong tie to an eastern region.

Of course there are so many definition of what is the west that it's a muddy topic. Some definition are large enough to include everything west of the Mississippi river. Others are so small that even Colorado is not wholly considered western. I have before met somebody on this very site who felt that most of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana were part of the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:39 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I have often considered the west to be divided into the Coast, the northwest, the southwest, the interior west, and the western plains.

The coast is a cultural zone in itself and kind of exists over-lapping the other regions.

The northwest to me is Northern California, Oregon, Washington

The interior west being Idaho, Utah, eastern Montana, eastern Wyoming and eastern Colorado.

The western plains being the remainder of Montana, Wyoming and Colorado where it melts into the Midwest/frontier strip.

The southwest being Southern/Central California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico. I am of two minds on this because I personally consider New Mexico and Arizona the western most reaches of "the American south". They were confederate land claims and were settled largely by southerners and today share political culture with the south in general.

California/Nevada form what I consider the southwest as applicable exclusively to the west, without strong tie to an eastern region.

Of course there are so many definition of what is the west that it's a muddy topic. Some definition are large enough to include everything west of the Mississippi river. Others are so small that even Colorado is not wholly considered western. I have before met somebody on this very site who felt that most of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana were part of the Midwest.
Arizona and New Mexico are not culturally linguistically or demographically anything like the Southern states. They are as Southern as Minnesota.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:42 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
I heard California is pretty much hick outside of LA and SF particularly in the western region of the state.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Arizona and New Mexico are not culturally linguistically or demographically anything like the Southern states. They are as Southern as Minnesota.
Minnesota was never claimed or occupied by the confederate south nor is MN highly republican and religious.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:49 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Minnesota was never claimed or occupied by the confederate south nor is MN highly republican and religious.
Ancient Civil war history has no bearing on what a state is today. And Arizona and New Mexico are not religious like the South. That is a flat out lie. You're the only person I've ever heard call New Mexico and Arizona Southern states. Ridiculous.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Ancient Civil war history has no bearing on what a state is today. And Arizona and New Mexico are not religious like the South. That is a flat out lie. You're the only person I've ever heard call New Mexico and Arizona Southern states. Ridiculous.
"Ancient Civil war history has no bearing on what a state is today" <-- Unless it's convenient for your narrative?

I assure you I'm not the only person who feels that way, but, I am aware that the idea is a minority opinion.

I shared my opinion. I am not trying to convert anybody else on the matter.

I'll even back up a bit and say I am more conveying their ties to the south than the idea that they are southern today.

Also yes, the two states are highly religious... That's not a lie. I'm really not sure why you're so upset.

Dude, take a massive chill pill.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:36 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Indiana and Ohio are pretty religious states (for the north) and state legislatures are dominated by Republicans. Not too hard to find confederate flags in southern parts of the state either. Doesn't make them part of the south though lol.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Indiana and Ohio are pretty religious states (for the north) and state legislatures are dominated by Republicans. Not too hard to find confederate flags in southern parts of the state either. Doesn't make them part of the south though lol.
Well you can find that stuff as far north as New England.

I think everybody is taking what I said too personally. I made a single passing remark about an opinion I hold that I don't expect people to agree with in a much, much, much longer post with far more relevancy to the topic at hand and yet here you all are zeroing in on that one sentence like I said something awful.

Holy crap, people.

Take a breath, Step back. Look at the bigger picture here. Realize that what I said has already been explained. Get over it. Return to the rest of what I said maybe? Or move on entirely. Come on.

I just don't understand the witch hunting here. It raises doubts in me about how many of you are actually adults and not snarky teen-agers pretending.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Well you can find that stuff as far north as New England.

I think everybody is taking what I said too personally. I made a single passing remark about an opinion I hold that I don't expect people to agree with in a much, much, much longer post with far more relevancy to the topic at hand and yet here you all are zeroing in on that one sentence like I said something awful.

Holy crap, people.

Take a breath, Step back. Look at the bigger picture here. Realize that what I said has already been explained. Get over it. Return to the rest of what I said maybe? Or move on entirely. Come on.

I just don't understand the witch hunting here. It raises doubts in me about how many of you are actually adults and not snarky teen-agers pretending.
I'm not taking it personally or mad. Just offering my opinion to why I thought your comment was inaccurate. It happens and I definitely am not always perfect in my commentary.

Anyway back to the og topic, the western states are so large geographically that its "cultural clusters" are more dispersed hence more diversity.

NYC is a mere 96 miles away from Philly and 190 miles from Boston (the next largest cities in the northeast). While these cities/metro areas exhibit some cultural/geographic distances they are still relatively similar.

Los Angeles to Phoenix is 372 miles, Los Angeles to Seattle is 1,135.5 mi, Los Angeles to San Francisco is 381 miles and Los Angeles to Albuquerque is 789 miles.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:43 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
"Ancient Civil war history has no bearing on what a state is today" <-- Unless it's convenient for your narrative?

I assure you I'm not the only person who feels that way, but, I am aware that the idea is a minority opinion.

I shared my opinion. I am not trying to convert anybody else on the matter.

I'll even back up a bit and say I am more conveying their ties to the south than the idea that they are southern today.

Also yes, the two states are highly religious... That's not a lie. I'm really not sure why you're so upset.

Dude, take a massive chill pill.
Arizona ranks 27th for being highly religious. Phoenix ranks about 5th or so (as of 2015) when it comes to people who do not identify with a religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.