Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 11,101 times

Advertisements

Culturally I put Alaska and Hawaii in their own divisions. Then it's a coastal states/inland states split. If I divide further I split California into the traditional SoCal/NorCal split with the far northern California areas North of the bay area and Sacramento being a separate region. I think of Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico along with southern Utah and southwestern/southern Colorado as the southwest with Phoenix and Las Vegas areas being SoCal-lite. In my mind the populated areas of Western Oregon and Washington are culturally a mix of one part SoCal, one part far northern California and one part Intermountain West. The rest of the West is Intermountain West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:31 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
I believe that political differences within States is actually a good thing, as it is among States in general across the U.S.

The "balance" is the key. This balance actually keeps our form of government working. No need to redraw the maps at all.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I believe that political differences within States is actually a good thing, as it is among States in general across the U.S.

The "balance" is the key. This balance actually keeps our form of government working. No need to redraw the maps at all.
This wasn't based on politics but local culture. Do you believe the Pacific Northwest has the same culture as where I live, in the Southwest an hour from Mexico? I don't and that's why I was questioning why most maps and most people still view the West as one whole region versus say the Southeast which I personally think is more culturally unified.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:56 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
I never got classifying the "West" as a whole region. Seems silly, especially with the variety of the place. I grew up learning that its

New England
Mid-Atlantic (both make up the greater "Northeast")
Midwest
Southeast
Southwest (Oklahoma and Texas are considered Southwest, but those 2 states plus the Southeast, make up the greater "South", but New Mexico and Arizona are just basic Southwest)
Rocky Mountain Region
Pacific Region

I consider anywhere west of the Missouri River "The West" so basically the Dakotas down to Texas and westward. Kansas to me, is a western AND a Midwestern state. Texas is a Southwestern AND a Southern state, but not Southeastern. I think that's a pretty fair way to categorise states.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
based on culture and geography, this map is somewhat accurate.

another one

Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I never got classifying the "West" as a whole region. Seems silly, especially with the variety of the place. I grew up learning that its

New England
Mid-Atlantic (both make up the greater "Northeast")
Midwest
Southeast
Southwest (Oklahoma and Texas are considered Southwest, but those 2 states plus the Southeast, make up the greater "South", but New Mexico and Arizona are just basic Southwest)
Rocky Mountain Region
Pacific Region

I consider anywhere west of the Missouri River "The West" so basically the Dakotas down to Texas and westward. Kansas to me, is a western AND a Midwestern state. Texas is a Southwestern AND a Southern state, but not Southeastern. I think that's a pretty fair way to categorise states.

Excellent!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:38 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
based on culture and geography, this map is somewhat accurate.

another one
Neat maps but in regards to the first one, I wonder what justifies that dip into "Pocono" for "Adirondack". I'm in that little nook in real world NY currently and trust me, this area would have more in common with either Pocono or Allegheny.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Arizona ranks 27th for being highly religious. Phoenix ranks about 5th or so (as of 2015) when it comes to people who do not identify with a religion.
"Highly religious" in Arizona has very different implications than it does in most of the South.

In Arizona, most people who are "highly religious" are from either Mormon or Roman Catholic traditions, the latter of which is a group composed primarily of Mexican-Americans. There are a lot of adherent Jews in Arizona, too, most of whom are concentrated in the Scottsdale/Paradise Valley area.

In the South, OTOH, people are mostly of a Southern Baptist or related "non-denominational" tradition. Of course, in the more peripheral states like Florida and Maryland, this doesn't necessarily hold true, but for much of the region, it sure does.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:55 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
"Highly religious" in Arizona has very different implications than it does in most of the South.

In Arizona, most people who are "highly religious" are from either Mormon or Roman Catholic traditions, the latter of which is a group composed primarily of Mexican-Americans. There are a lot of adherent Jews in Arizona, too, most of whom are concentrated in the Scottsdale/Paradise Valley area.

In the South, OTOH, people are mostly of a Southern Baptist or related "non-denominational" tradition. Of course, in the more peripheral states like Florida and Maryland, this doesn't necessarily hold true, but for much of the region, it sure does.
To me religious is religious.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:26 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
To me religious is religious.
I live in Phoenix and have relatives in TN and NC, AZ (Phoenix at least) is NOTHING like the south. More like inland CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.