Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:14 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,729 times

Advertisements

What are the best cities west of Denver to meet men who are:

- in good shape
- driven
- educated
- clean cut
- not religious
- not focused on settling down early in life (i.e. 30-50 years old with no kids)

All of us single ladies are awaiting responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:39 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,334,027 times
Lol that would be pretty much any city west of Denver, with a bold on the "not focused on settling down early in life." The western cities are eternal neverlands for unambitious, childless adults.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:04 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Lol that would be pretty much any city west of Denver, with a bold on the "not focused on settling down early in life." The western cities are eternal neverlands for unambitious, childless adults.
That kind of contradicts several of OP's bullet points; it's hard to be unambitious, but also educated, clean cut, and in shape. I do agree that folks like you describe reside in the West in spades.

That being said, OP, Boulder is as good a place to start as any.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:20 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,729 times
What about LA, San Francisco?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:52 AM

436 posts, read 521,686 times
Sounds like the LA party scene is for you?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:31 PM

656 posts, read 814,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Your breeder bias is showing.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:34 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Seattle has a flood of single, outdoorsy men who are computer programmers. I myself am in a relationship, but nearly all of my friends here fit the profile that I just described.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That kind of contradicts several of OP's bullet points; it's hard to be unambitious, but also educated, clean cut, and in shape. I do agree that folks like you describe reside in the West in spades.

That being said, OP, Boulder is as good a place to start as any.
Well, that's the problem. Unforunately many child-free adults are NOT educated or clean cut.

But Seattle and San Francisco may have more child free, educated adults who make high incomes compared to the rest of the country. A lot of them are gay people, though. (Yes, I know LGBT can have kids but they still have them at lesser rates than straights)

Old 05-21-2016, 02:21 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Does West of Denver still include Denver?

You want to find an educated metro and you should be good to go. It's easy to dodge Mormonville areas (where there culture means to marry early and have kids) so obviously don't look at Utah. That's about the only possible issue for that out here.

I suggest looking into the more blue areas of the West, while religion is less pronounced out here, there are still many religious people. They just aren't in your face about or bringing God up in conversation. I noticed that as one of the first big cultural difference in New Orleans compared to Arizona. A lot more people wearing crosses, etc. Here in the red Arizona Christians are still a heavy majority, I say that as an atheist so I tend to notice religious influence more as I dislike it. I found in my travels that visiting blue areas tend to have more agnostics and atheists. While I know quite a few people out here who share my viewpoint in that regard, I'd say it's an 8 out of 10 or more are religious.

My issue with men out here is they don't seem to have ambition and don't want to pursue education. As a college student, most men I meet out of class are doing something like U of P or are in the military, or are in "community college" for a few years (meaning they take a lot of semesters off to do minimum wage). I hope most Western metros aren't like that as well for young men.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Does West of Denver still include Denver?

You want to find an educated metro and you should be good to go. It's easy to dodge Mormonville areas (where there culture means to marry early and have kids) so obviously don't look at Utah. That's about the only possible issue for that out here.

I suggest looking into the more blue areas of the West, while religion is less pronounced out here, there are still many religious people. They just aren't in your face about or bringing God up in conversation. I noticed that as one of the first big cultural difference in New Orleans compared to Arizona. A lot more people wearing crosses, etc. Here in the red Arizona Christians are still a heavy majority, I say that as an atheist so I tend to notice religious influence more as I dislike it. I found in my travels that visiting blue areas tend to have more agnostics and atheists. While I know quite a few people out here who share my viewpoint in that regard, I'd say it's an 8 out of 10 or more are religious.

My issue with men out here is they don't seem to have ambition and don't want to pursue education. As a college student, most men I meet out of class are doing something like U of P or are in the military, or are in "community college" for a few years (meaning they take a lot of semesters off to do minimum wage). I hope most Western metros aren't like that as well for young men.
Yeah, I'd include Denver. Basically, anything west of where the moisture levels drop and the climate gets drier (which would be a line running down from central North Dakota to Austin, TX) is part of the West IMO.

Your best bet in any western city is going to be an IT worker. IT is a popular industry in western cities, because many developers and other IT employees can work from home. They actually have time and money to enjoy all the recreation that makes western cities so appealing. Otherwise, most western metros still don't have the level of civilization that the East Coast does, so they don't have an abundance of middle class jobs and when they do, these jobs are 3x more competitive because so many people want to live out west. Despite the liberal politics of many western cities, there is a huge wealth gap between the upper class (often very, very upper class) and the underclass of vagrants, migrant workers, and hipsters who make $15/hr as a barista.

To me, western cities are really just vacation spots that should be viewed as luxury living/wealthy retirement destinations. They are simply too expensive and not populated/civilized enough for the average American, and the extent of civilization that does exist out West tends to be extremely cliquely and exclusive. Since you aren't looking to have children now, it may not be a problem for you. But for most American adults who aspire to have a family, a strong social network, and a sense of community, the western cities are not practical unless you fall into one of the categories of people I described above. People out West obsess more about living up to a certain image, so you have to make sure you can achieve that image if you're going to live out there and make friends. People out East are more concerned with getting by in practical, day to day living.

Last edited by skidamarink; 05-21-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.