Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Obviously any definition is subjective. That said, I tend to define it the following way. Suburbs are the areas which are either within the same county as the core municipality or (if the city is independent like Saint Louis, or on a county line like Detroit) the immediately adjacent county. Exurbs are in counties which border the "core suburban" counties.

Obviously these definitions are not perfect. For example, under such a definition Chester County in Southeastern Pennsylvania would be exurban. In truth some areas (Berwyn, Paoli, Malvern, etc) have been railroad suburbs for around a century. I do think it's fair to say the county as a whole is exurban though.

though for Chester County to me much is exurban, once continuity is lost it becomes exurban

For Philly to me Delaware, Lower Bucks, And Eastern Montgomery are suburban (anything west of say a line from Montgomeryville to KOP and Trooper begins exurban for me (maybe below 2K density or something and not continuous) most else is exurban with the exception of a sliver of Chester

for Jersey most of Camden is suburban, other counties in Jersey are mostly exurban

For Delaware is harder as it starts to get further away yet has a small city in Wilmington. Cecil county MD is mostly rural to me and not even exurban for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Although to me probably to low on density, maybe UA is a metric to define the extent of suburbs, MSA and non UA could be exurbs

Old 05-26-2016, 12:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
though for Chester County to me much is exurban, once continuity is lost it becomes exurban

For Philly to me Delaware, Lower Bucks, And Eastern Montgomery are suburban (anything west of say a line from Montgomeryville to KOP and Trooper begins exurban for me (maybe below 2K density or something and not continuous) most else is exurban with the exception of a sliver of Chester

for Jersey most of Camden is suburban, other counties in Jersey are mostly exurban

For Delaware is harder as it starts to get further away yet has a small city in Wilmington. Cecil county MD is mostly rural to me and not even exurban for me
Though Wilmington anchors its own region, and isn't really a suburb as much as it's a satellite city, I think you could classify it as far suburban/close exurban--it really is at that line, imo. You could argue that the city and its northern suburbs all the way to Claymont could be more "suburban" and everything west and south is exurban. I personally live only 20 miles from Philly city limits (the airport), and I-95, when it's moving, is generally quick. SEPTA is a 45 min ride too, and you can spring a pricey Acela ticket for a 19 min ride if you really need to move.

So I think distance is a factor here, too, along with how efficient the transportation options are to get to the main city. Generally, the further a place out from the main city determines being a suburb or exurb, but there are suburbs that are a bit further out, but are well connected to the main city, so don't really feel like exurbs.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:26 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think when you have a sizable population that works in the suburban office parks, as opposed to the course city, it becomes an exurb. I just don't know where the cut off is.
By those standards nearly all of the Philly suburbs are exurban, given Philadelphia has one of the weakest downtown employment markets of a a city of its size.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
To me suburb = already developed but connected to a main core Coty economically. Exurb = still not fully developed with farmland/wilderness around.
I like this definition. When I think exurb, I think of notable gaps in development from the suburbs, and brand new subdivisions surrounded by nature (woods, farmland, desert, etc.).

Old 05-26-2016, 12:37 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I like this definition. When I think exurb, I think of notable gaps in development from the suburbs, and brand new subdivisions surrounded by nature (woods, farmland, desert, etc.).
One could argue, that by this definition, there are no exurbs in the Northeast Corridor.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
One could argue, that by this definition, there are no exurbs in the Northeast Corridor.
On the other hand if you use the "linked to core city" method most northeast corridor suburbs are exurbs. After all, while a small proportion of the white-collar workforce in places like Fairfield County and northern New Jersey commutes to Manhattan, the vast majority of them work at some local office suburban office park.

Last edited by eschaton; 05-26-2016 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, but I'd think it would be a stretch. You'd have to use very loose definitions for density and development to define suburb. Most suburbs in the Northeast are fairly dense and directly contiguous with their main city, with no gaps.

For example, Coatesville, PA is what I would consider a true exurb of Philadelphia. It's 45 miles out, heavily wooded, and is, for all intents and purposes, the last stop on the Thorndale/Paoli SEPTA regional rail line (technically, Thorndale is, but it's a distance of 3 miles and serves both). Same media market and connected to the city via Route 30, but it's a hike to get there (~ an hour) and the development along US 30 is low density and lightly developed in many parts. I think the locals there are more apt to say I'm from Coatesville, PA to a regional outsider rather than Philadelphia, which is what someone from Upper Darby would most likely do.

And from the end of Baltimore's suburbs to the beginning of Wilmington's in Elkton, it's the same story, though with an even bigger gap in development/connectivity. So I'd say your definition would have to be very, very loose for that to be a valid statement.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
On the other hand if you use the "linked to core city" method, than most northeast corridor suburbs are exurbs. After all, while a small proportion of the white-collar workforce in places like Fairfield County and northern New Jersey commutes to Manhattan, the vast majority of them work at some local office suburban office park.
This is also true, and as you've already noted, particularly evident in the Delaware Valley. I think distance is probably the best metric to separate between suburb and exurb, honestly, with the larger metros having further out suburbs and exurbs due to size. If your commute into the city on an uncongested day is more than ~45 min by either driving or train (ignoring transfers and wait times, since that might pad the time not due to distance), you probably live in an exurb.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
For North (directly north not including NE or NW areas) Houston it is very simple-
Exurb- Montgomery, Texas or Woodforest Subdivision Although these people commute to the central city these communities are surrounded by wilderness and have only country roads linking back to the city with very little commercial development
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...!4d-95.6963253
The collective area is called Montgomery because the closest small town to it is Montgomery, the area along 105 connected to Montgomery is filled with thousands of people who may commute to either Conroe or The Woodlands
Suburb- The Woodlands, Texas or Spring, Texas
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...1!4d-95.461278
Satellite City (town in this case)- Conroe, Texas or Huntsville Texas although it is in commutable distance, most work in the town or city and the town has a history and has been developed for years.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-95.4560852

West Houston
Satellite City/Town- Non
Suburb- Katy Texas
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ka...!4d-95.8243847
The collective region is known as Katy, North of Westpark Tollway and South of FM 529, East of Barker Cypress Road (100 square miles of suburbia)
Exurb- Foster region of Richmond, Texas
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fo...!4d-95.8275604
The collective region ( South of Westpark Tollway, Around Grand Parkway and North of the southern border of the town of Richmond. It is a large 200 square mile area of mostly no development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.