Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 12:49 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Nobody in Atlanta considers Atlantic Station to ba a 'mall,' and they certainly don't consider it to be a 'suburban lifestyle center!' It's a functioning district or neighborhood that leans heavily into retail, but it is so much more than a 'mall.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 08:03 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Did you try and slip Hudson Yards and Brickell into this?

Atlantic Station and CityCentre are not Hudson Yards dude. Jesus Christ.

Atlantic Station and CityCentre are suburban lifestyle centers.
Pretty much.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:16 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Pretty much.
I've never been to City Centre, but it's a hard no on Atlantic Station.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:32 AM

833 posts, read 452,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Nobody in Atlanta considers Atlantic Station to ba a 'mall,' and they certainly don't consider it to be a 'suburban lifestyle center!' It's a functioning district or neighborhood that leans heavily into retail, but it is so much more than a 'mall.'
It’s an area primarily centered around a mixed-use master planned development.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pwkEvmG4CqhXBJMCA?g_st=ic

This looks like a textbook lifestyle center to me. Yes there is urban development surrounding the district but a lot of lifestyle centers have urban development surrounding them and yet they’re still primarily lifestyle centers. Atlantic stations connectivity to the rest of the core is also not great.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:16 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I agree. A mall is a mall.
But if I lived in Atlantic Station, CityCentre, Brickell, Hudson Yards, The Domain or La Cantera I wouldn't say I lived in a mall.
All of those places incorporate malls into their fabric, but to say they are just malls is highly uninformed.

All of those developments describe themselves as Live, work, play developments and all incorporate the live, work and play tenants. All have residential, all have office all have retail, restaurant and entertainment. Some even have education.
Isn't La Cantera filled with surface parking lots? I think that one is a suburban mall all the way. Funny listing that with Hudson Yards and Brickell.

I have never been to Atlantic Station but it definitely looks like a mall on Google Maps (albeit a high density mall in an urban location). The Domain is a mall but the greater area around it does have more as it has a fairly big North Austin nightlife hub (Rock Rose), a lot of tech employers (Indeed, Amazon, Expedia, Meta, and IBM are all there), and has the UT Pickle research campus and Q2 stadium nextdoor. Still, it's mainly a commercial and entertainment center; not much of a residential neighborhood.

CityCentre is definitely a mall. It's basically the mall portion of the Domain without the other stuff, and it's in a very suburban location on the Beltway surrounded by SFHs.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:49 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Oh they know very well what I'm talking about.

I stress development each and every time so their is zero reason for them to confuse anything. Unless he was trying to be smart and cool but instead was completely ignorant of the fact of what Hudson Yards was and how how the development arose.

Hudson Yards- a mixed use development converted from a rail yard
https://www.hydc.org/

Atlantic station - a mixed use development converted from the Atlantic Steel Mill
https://atlanticstation.com/

La Cantera- is a mixed use development converted from an old Quarry- hence the name.

Memorial City Center - is a mixed use development converted from Town and Country mall.

Brickell CityCentre is also a mixed use development, but it differs from Hudson Yards, Atlantic station, etc in that although it is one development, the location wasn't a single parcel site converted.

Going on about street grids and other side issues are elitist smoke screens that are besides the point. Each and every development I named, there was a developer who got him a parcel of land and redevelop if into a Live work and play development. It doesn't matter which you think are more urban or if you think nothing in NY can be compared to other cities, idc, it's the same concept despite the execution.
What fits for Peter might not fit Paula.
Your original post said just Brickell (which would mean the entire neighborhood)

Old 08-14-2023, 10:59 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

I have never been to Atlantic Station but it definitely looks like a mall on Google Maps (albeit a high density mall in an urban location). The Domain is a mall but the greater area around it does have more as it has a fairly big North Austin nightlife hub (Rock Rose), a lot of tech employers (Indeed, Amazon, Expedia, Meta, and IBM are all there), and has the UT Pickle research campus and Q2 stadium nextdoor. Still, it's mainly a commercial and entertainment center; not much of a residential neighborhood.

CityCentre is definitely a mall. It's basically the mall portion of the Domain without the other stuff, and it's in a very suburban location on the Beltway surrounded by SFHs.
Nope.CityCentre is in no way shape or form “the mall portion of the Domain without the other stuff”. As a matter of a fact, proportionally speaking, The Domain is a lot more shopping oriented. CityCentre has Amazon, Microsoft, Infosys, Marathon Oil and others as employers. And is a hotbed for international student residencies. The Domain on the other hand is focused on shopping with other tennants filling the gaps. The mall portion of Domain is greater than the mall portion of city centre with more stores (such as Gucci). Houston’s shopping is centered in River Oaks and Uptown while the Domain is Austin’s main focal shopping district. The shopping in CityCentre is more community focused and less of a city wide destination. Houston shops at River Oaks, Highland Village and the Galleria instead

The Domain has more of “the other stuff” than CityCentre; but proportionally it’s a lot more shopping oriented. The Domain is a lot larger than CityCentre and is Austin’s primary shopping vs CityCentre which is a community and satellite shopping area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Isn't La Cantera filled with surface parking lots? I think that one is a suburban mall all the way. Funny listing that with Hudson Yards and Brickell.
This I agree with LaCantera really isn’t “trying to do” what Atlantic Station and City Centre are trying to do.

As for Brickell (a large, urban neighborhood). Lmao

Old 08-14-2023, 11:04 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
To me Austin citizens are anti-sunbelt. The city's infrastructure and weather are sunbelt to a tee.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Your original post said just Brickell (which would mean the entire neighborhood)
My bad for that one. I had just listed Houston CityCentre so my brain must have thought I included it after Brickell CC also.

But point is all of those are Multi use developments and not malls.

Brickell CC is more along the lines of The original Houston Center plans in that the plan was to integrate the development into a financial district instead of reviving a single use site like the Hudson Rail yard, or the Atlantic Steel site.

Yall are still missing the point on La Cantera though.
Yes La Cantera is far removed from the urban form of San Antonio, but it still doesn't change the fact that it is a mixed use development. I remember when it was just the Quarry area. Then I remember when the mall blew up they started calling the area La Cantera. It may have parking lots now, but SA is a fast growing town, who knows what La Cantera will development into in the coming decades.
With all the growth to the north is only time before the urban fabric around La Cantera grows.

Yall are judging the areas based on what they look like rather than what they are. In the end they are all mixed use developments dispute all the snobbery.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:04 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,397,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
To me Austin citizens are anti-sunbelt. The city's infrastructure and weather are sunbelt to a tee.
The sun belt includes the major cities in California and the Southwest, so no, I don't see that. Anti-"the south", sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.