Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times

Advertisements

Have you ever lived in a metro that was very popular and at the top of its game, and then moved to an undesirable place? What was the experience like for you? Are you happy with the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Yes. I moved from Charlotte NC to Oklahoma City. While Charlotte is not exactly world class, its much more vibrant and desirable than OKC. It's been four years and I still regret the move almost daily. I have made significant efforts to adjust and I will say I don't hate it quite as bad as I did my first two years here but it still isn't for me and I still really want to live somewhere a little more desirable.

Moving from a big city to a small town works for some, but you have to do it when you are ready as well as go into it with a good attitude. If you do it with a chip on your shoulder you are going to have a bad time guaranteed.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:36 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
I lived in D.C. for 3 months and returned to Columbus, Ohio. While I really enjoy D.C. things that I don't miss are $9 beers, ungodlly humidity, the cockroaches or the crowds on the metro or traffic.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:06 PM

473 posts, read 521,423 times
I did. Born and raised in NYC, moved to the South.

I had a mixed experience.

On the one hand, I needed that total urban detox. It was good for my finances and my blood pressure. We could finally afford to buy a house (in the most expensive zip code!) and, from a career perspective, it was nice to be a bigger fish in a small pond instead of a smaller fish in an enormous pond. That alone opened up a lot of opportunities.

But ... we were bored. It wasn't the lifestyle I wanted for my family. So after about five years, we cashed in and moved on. I'm glad we did it and I'm equally glad to be out of there.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:24 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
I did. Born and raised in NYC, moved to the South.

I had a mixed experience.

On the one hand, I needed that total urban detox. It was good for my finances and my blood pressure. We could finally afford to buy a house (in the most expensive zip code!) and, from a career perspective, it was nice to be a bigger fish in a small pond instead of a smaller fish in an enormous pond. That alone opened up a lot of opportunities.

But ... we were bored. It wasn't the lifestyle I wanted for my family. So after about five years, we cashed in and moved on. I'm glad we did it and I'm equally glad to be out of there.
Just curious, when you "moved on" at the end, did you go to a really large city again, or to another small place but with less risk of boredom?

Old 06-13-2016, 03:34 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Moved from Chicago back to my hometown of Jacksonville. I don't consider Jax podunk but I do realize if it weren't my hometown I wouldnt have ever considered moving here or staying if somehow I was here to begin with.

I do like it...at times some of the lack of progress can be frustrating. There's still some backwards thinking and a number of diverse, desirable amenities that are missing. But overall I've stayed cause it's been good enough to me (and now my family) That said, I actually am quite active and involved in trying to make it a better place so I don't know that it would be the same if someone was just moving here with no allegiance or loyalty whatsoever.

I do know a lot of other folks in Jax who moved from places like NYC...some love it, some hate it, and some think it's good enough for the time being.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
I didn't really. I moved from LA to Dallas. From a world class city to a partially world class city. It wasn't that much of an adjustment. I never really wanted to go back home.

However, my mother moved from Los Angeles to Waco, TX. She loves Waco though. She hated every minute she lived in LA.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:58 PM

731 posts, read 936,040 times
I like this question. I would like to leave Seattle which is the mecca of the US right now. I'm hoping for smaller, slower, more affordable (and warmer). I have a family, so not looking for a great nightlife and restaurant scene. Hopefully it will be a good transition, but it's hard to feel super confident when you're leaving the city that everyone else is tripping over themselves to get into.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:24 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,013 times
Some of you have no idea what Podunk means. OKC? Jax?

To me there are 4 world class cities in the US - NYC, LA, SF and CHI.

Podunk is less than 50,000 people NOT attached to another larger metro.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
While the previous poster is correct about the meaning of "podunk," I'm going to follow the lead of everyone else and talk about my move from New York City to Rhode Island. While there are many things I miss about New York, I don't think I could ever go back -- I'm too acclimated to much, much, much better housing for the money (I live in a four-bedroom house in the wealthiest town in the state for the same price as I'd pay for a two-bedroom apartment in the hinterlands of Queens), increased mobility (didn't have a car in New York), a faster and less-stressful commute, lower prices on most everyday things, and easy access to the water (I have a little beach five minutes away, and some of the best beaches in New England are less than 30 minutes away). Plus New York is still a three-hour drive away, and I have family to stay with there, so I can go whenever I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.