Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:07 AM

511 posts, read 402,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If the average person's making $55,000 in the city, then yes, it's a strong economy. The median household income in New York City is 52K. Most people live in their own little socioeconomic bubbles, and leucite of the larger economic reality of our country. I'm on the low-end of upper-middle-class, but we're in a city without a lot of wealth. That puts us curiously close to the elite. My daughter has classmates whose parents are professional athletes, and parents who greet Air Force One, when the president is in town. One of my neighbors is a former Treasury Secretary.

My wife and I find ourselves asking if we can actually afford to re-do our kitchen or take that $10k family vacation (we didn't do either). We're asking whether we can truly afford to put both kids through private school, or if we should just move to the 'burbs. In reality, we're doing really well for ourselves; great lifestyle, healthy savings rate, low debt. We're just around people who are far more affluent. If I didn't have perspective, I could easily find myself feeling poorer than I actually am.

A 55k job is nothing special, but it's more than this country's median household income, and for some people, it's the impossible dream. Gotta keep things in perspective.

Didn't get the gist of my post at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 07:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
In affluent Bellevue, WA, there have already been accounts of Asian immigrants who arrive poor, cramming all their family into a tiny rental that happens to be in or near a wealthier neighborhood. The logic is that although they can't live in luxury in such an expensive neighborhood, at least their kids will be going to some of the best performing public schools and they will be in a more or less safe neighborhood. Some of them will never be able to afford to buy a house but the hope is that their kids will do well in school, get a good job, and get the house. On the other hand, do you want your kids being the poor ones in a school full of wealthier kids, especially if its noted for flambuoyant materialism? Social networking is often a huge part of success, and if your kids cant match up materially/culturally to other kids, they may have a hard time making friends and networking.
It's harder to social network as an immigrant, for an Asian immigrant prioritizing education makes sense. The immigrant kids aren't comparing themselves to the wealthier kids but those of similar background.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:53 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Didn't get the gist of my post at all.
The gist of your post was bragging that 55k was nothing to you.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The gist of your post was bragging that 55k was nothing to you.
Nope. Quite the opposite.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I also consider Phoenix a very pretentious metropolitan area. It is economically growing very fast but the residents are very pretentious. The keep up with the Jones mentality is huge in Phoenix especially when it comes to vehicles.
I think more aloof and distant than pretentious per say, as a whole. Scottsdale though yes pretentious, maybe Paradise Valley, too. West of Phoenix--the Sun Cities, Peoria, Surprise I don't think so. Cave Creek, horse countrish vibe, space. Carefree, probably more true wealth and was not as pretentious as Scottsdale IMO.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:11 AM

^
*Nods

Like I alluded to but some people didn't get, the people WITHOUT actual wealth around here pretend to have the biggest c**ks. I worked in the custom pool industry for years. Actual rich mofos were almost always super nice and rolled generally humble and bling free... the ten-dollar-an-hour waiters/waitresses on the other hand. Insufferable. Too good for everybody.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:32 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
^
*Nods

Like I alluded to but some people didn't get, the people WITHOUT actual wealth around here pretend to have the biggest c**ks. I worked in the custom pool industry for years. Actual rich mofos were almost always super nice and rolled generally humble and bling free... the ten-dollar-an-hour waiters/waitresses on the other hand. Insufferable. Too good for everybody.
You will always find try-hard pretentious folk in any city who fluff up the image but have nothing to back it up. Once a city becomes famous for a particular subculture or trend, it starts getting hordes of wannabes who go overboard on trying to project the image and upstaging everyone else. Scottsdale has a reputation for being a nouveau riche Sunbelt suburb that is cheaper than SoCal (whether its true or not doesnt matter), so its no surprise that the kinda of people you describe are moving there. I have experienced the opposite as well, i.e. smug liberals of Seattle, know-it-all nerds in DC who want you to think they are the Nobel Peace prize winner of tomorrow. Even in Midwestern cities like Omaha, people go overboard trying to play up the "humble Midwesterner" image (yes, it is possible to overdo it), and it's still BS. At the end of the day, it's all silly high school horseplay that somehow still exists amongst adults.

Last edited by skidamarink; 06-23-2016 at 05:43 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 05:26 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
From what I have experienced Atlanta is the number one for me.

The reality show boom in Atlanta has a lot of $30K people trying to live like Nene Leakes.

To me Dallas but not so much Fort Worth is also the same. So much emphasis on being over the top in fashion, oversized housing and cars and being seen and noticed.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:20 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Dallas/Fort Worth.......lots of 30,000 a year millionaires there.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:01 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
I don't consider what happens in Dallas to be people emulating celebrity lifestyles. Here, it's considered normal to have a large house with a new car from a "respectable" brand like Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Lexus, and Cadillac, among others. People don't treat it like a big deal because they believe that what they are doing is just emulating the middle class lifestyle.

When I think of "celebrity life," I imagine people in either skyscraper apartments or mansions (like on celebrity tours) in large, urban coastal cities, driving around top of the line sports cars or other luxury brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.