Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:04 PM

137 posts, read 109,613 times

Advertisements

Which is your favorite airport in the country in terms of where it is located ( scenery and conveinance)

I travel a lot for work , and my favorite right now is Portland Oregon comming in over all those beautiful lush forest and mountains and the river . And the snow covered mount hood towering over you . Public transit rail line is right out front and great food choices inside the terminal

And on a side note , why are almost all us airports built in very bad areas and ghettos : Dallas , Albany , Boston , New York City , San Fran , Oakland , Hartford , Tampa for example of places I've been and the airport is in rough area

And Denver gets a mention for being as far away as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 07:12 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
For most cities, their airports were out in locations that either were rural when the airport might have just been a short strip or strips, or still out in rural areas. In fact, small airports were often pretty numerous wherever there was a small town or village. Though, by the 1960s, jetliners became common and airports needed bigger runways. Most airports were either developed over with suburban sprawl (especially in major cities) or are now used for recreational flying.

The few airports that were expanded to be able to accommodate jets often became the major airport hubs for major cities. The problem is that jets are pretty noisy and make the area around it less desirable to live in especially the more busy an airport is.

In most cities, there's usually a buffer zone between the airport and the surrounding residential neighborhood (like a natural barrier or wide freeway). Though in cities like NYC, LA, and Chicago, they're so crowded that other measures have to be taken for people who pretty much live across the street from the end of a runway. Otherwise, the land around an airport is typically developed for industrial use which benefits them anyway since it makes it easier to ship goods in and out of the city by plane. Don't know if that's what you mean by 'rough' but that's usually why areas are less developed around airports.

Denver is a special case because the old airport was actually where 270 and 70 merge, but the area had became so developed and the airport was impossible to expand (partly due to bad design), that they had to build a new one which is why Denver's airport is so far from the city.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:25 PM

93,330 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
Which is your favorite airport in the country in terms of where it is located ( scenery and conveinance)

I travel a lot for work , and my favorite right now is Portland Oregon comming in over all those beautiful lush forest and mountains and the river . And the snow covered mount hood towering over you . Public transit rail line is right out front and great food choices inside the terminal

And on a side note , why are almost all us airports built in very bad areas and ghettos : Dallas , Albany , Boston , New York City , San Fran , Oakland , Hartford , Tampa for example of places I've been and the airport is in rough area

And Denver gets a mention for being as far away as possible
Umm, Albany's airport is in Colonie, which is a nice suburban area.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:55 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
My father-in-law lives a few miles west of Tampa International just south of the flight path, no way I would ever live there. People in Cincinnati do not realize how lucky they are to not have an airport.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:09 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Dallas has rich areas near it's airport. Atlanta probably has the best location out of any airport though. (Three interstates, close to downtown with direct subway access to the three Atlanta business districts, and it has middle to upper class areas around them, like the affluent South Fulton area and parts of Clayton (they're minority heavy, if that makes any difference).

Old 06-25-2016, 08:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
I think Sky Harbor in Phoenix has a bad location. A lot of planes fly in or out over the West side which inhibits our Downtown.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
The idea that airports are built in built up areas is mostly wrong. Most major city airports were built and/or expanded in areas that were sparsely populated. I can list perhaps a number of them that were not, LaGuardia/NY. Reagan/DC, Midway/Chicago come to mind. But all of these were airports before the jet-age, so they don't really matter in the discussion unless you bring in the advent of jet travel, and how they have continued to be used for current day operations.

Bottom line is communities around jet noise tend to be less wealthy for obvious reasons. Yes, there may be some exceptions, but for the most part, cities or suburbs under the flight path of major airports will not be desirable, and thus, have lower property values.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:27 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Umm, Albany's airport is in Colonie, which is a nice suburban area.
Yeah all of the airports he said are in ghettos are actually not in ghettos. Cleveland's airport is in a rougher area than any on that list, and even that's not really bad.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Nothing bad or ghetto about DFW airport. DFW International is in a largely affluent suburban area (just take a look at the hundred of YouTube videos of landings taken from the plane). Lakes, greenbelts, parks, etc.

Love Field, the main city airport of Dallas, is in an area that is inconsistent. There are apartments nearby that aren't good, but there are residential areas that are fine, and even quite expensive in some cases. But yes, the apartments can be a problem, as in any inner city.

Austin's airport is in a disgusting area. When you exit the airport, the first thing you see are dilapidated homes and businesses. Lots of beautiful areas in Austin, but not near the airport

Flying in to airport, Phoenix probably takes the cake for the worst looking areas down below. Sad, because the city has so many great areas. But if you're on the side of the plane looking down at South Phoenix, it's a sad sight to see.

Houston's main airport north of the city was built in a gorgeous and pristine pine forested region in the late 1960s. Since then, the development around the airport has been largely industrial, and there are high crime areas in the vicinity. It's been a huge change. Houston's Hobby Airport, the inner city airport, is near a large number of very high crime apartment complexes. Yet, there are nice residential areas nearby as well. My understanding from an article I read today is that there will be a massive effort to improve the area near that airport.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 06-25-2016 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 09:32 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Few airports are in scenic areas, IMO. And to me, an airport is a utility. I want to get in and out as quickly as possible, and I like airports that are close to the city center as possible.

For those reasons I love Boston-Logan, SLC, and DC-National. Close to downtown and an easy transit connection. I hate Denver. The airport is in Kansas and a cab costs a fortune. I haven't been since the light rail extension to the airport was completed so hopefully it's a little better but it's still annoying AF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.