Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most quintessentially "northern" city?
Boston 49 37.12%
Buffalo 9 6.82%
Chicago 14 10.61%
Cleveland 3 2.27%
Detroit 0 0%
Milwaukee 2 1.52%
Minneapolis 18 13.64%
New York 14 10.61%
Philadelphia 18 13.64%
Pittsburgh 5 3.79%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:40 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
These threads all require a definition. What is "quintissentially northern"? Are we talking yankee northeastern culture??? If that is the case then its New England or if we name a city then Boston. If we are talking the culture of the Midwest, then I believe we go with the Upper Midwest or the city of Minneapolis. Its kind of a ridiculous thread anyway, everyone has their own idea of what is most culturally northern. A Midwesterner may think of a place like Mackinaw Michigan or the Door Peninsula of Wisconsin. A northeast person may think of the Adirondacks or some post care New England town. I guess the point is not everyone would even agree that the big cities of the North represent the North best. Some would think of the biggest city, New York City some however would not.

Also the "North" is not one culture in any way. The people of the Northeast are quite different from those of the Midwest. There really is no such thing as "Northern culture", but there is Northeast culture, Midwest culture and really they can be divided further. That is why this is an impossible task. The same things get asked about Southern culture, but its the same thing. Deep South culture is different than the Upper South culture or the Mountains. Then there is Texas, what do you do with that? Too much oversimplification going on.
Good point. Even the South is not monolithic despite what many non Southerners think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 07:25 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
But a lot of the far northern corners of the country aren't so it seems to fit the bill.
Aren't what?

Quote:
I agree the Mid Atlantic and its extension the Midwest (extension via early settlement) would be a picture of tolerance and multi cultural, friendly non-Southern but still polite type of environment that you refer to.
And its only natural that New England, and its extension the Midwest, would be a hotbed of religious zealotry.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Aren't what?

And its only natural that New England, and its extension the Midwest, would be a hotbed of religious zealotry.
A lot of the far Northern corners of the country like New England and the Upper Midwest aren't particularly known for their loving attitudes toward strangers and non-Whites.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The irony in this statement is the fact that you just described Asheville, Boone, and Carrboro, NC.

You described no towns in Louisiana.
Cuz those are mountain towns and I know at least for Asheville, its a college town. There's plenty of Bernie Sanders supporters here too. Though it is a bit of a dud for skiing or maple syrup. Compare rural and smaller towns in NC and LA and the differences are far more subtle than if you were to compare small towns in NC to New England. NC would be similar in scenery but that's it. There's also more in common with Texas and NC than NC and New England, again outside of scenery.

Each southern state, NC, LA, TX, FL.. each is different and some more than most (Florida or Louisiana) but they're still within the same region and have more similarities in the end. Ohio and Kansas are both in the Midwest, at opposite points of the region, and both have lots of differences but plenty of similarities too. The coastal north is very different from the landlocked north. The south is far more coastal as a whole, it has two coastlines, both on the Atlantic ocean. That's another reason the entire south has more in common than the entire north, culturally. Also for some reason we stop considering it "the south" when you're west of Texas, which I don't necessarily agree with, because in my eyes, Maine to Washington is all "the north" so why can't Florida to southern California be all called "the south"? IDK, history I guess

Old 08-03-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
These threads all require a definition. What is "quintissentially northern"? Are we talking yankee northeastern culture??? If that is the case then its New England or if we name a city then Boston. If we are talking the culture of the Midwest, then I believe we go with the Upper Midwest or the city of Minneapolis. Its kind of a ridiculous thread anyway, everyone has their own idea of what is most culturally northern. A Midwesterner may think of a place like Mackinaw Michigan or the Door Peninsula of Wisconsin. A northeast person may think of the Adirondacks or some post care New England town. I guess the point is not everyone would even agree that the big cities of the North represent the North best. Some would think of the biggest city, New York City some however would not.

Also the "North" is not one culture in any way. The people of the Northeast are quite different from those of the Midwest. There really is no such thing as "Northern culture", but there is Northeast culture, Midwest culture and really they can be divided further. That is why this is an impossible task. The same things get asked about Southern culture, but its the same thing. Deep South culture is different than the Upper South culture or the Mountains. Then there is Texas, what do you do with that? Too much oversimplification going on.
True, the Midwest and Northeast are quite different but they also have a lot of similarities that you can collectively consider "northern" such as a higher popularity of hockey, especially compared to the south, a drinking culture which is derived from its ethnic heritage of Irish and German immigrants, as opposed to the southern drinking culture that's more based of Scotch-Irish heritage, more industrialised cities which are denser and have similar architecture, lotta brownstones and better laid out public transportation system as well as less influence and power from the church in contemporary times. These things transcend the north, and the north in general is tied together by the Great Lakes, which stretch from Minnesota to New York.

That's why I voted Chicago, it's the heart of the populated north.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Cuz those are mountain towns and I know at least for Asheville, its a college town. There's plenty of Bernie Sanders supporters here too. Though it is a bit of a dud for skiing or maple syrup. Compare rural and smaller towns in NC and LA and the differences are far more subtle than if you were to compare small towns in NC to New England. NC would be similar in scenery but that's it. There's also more in common with Texas and NC than NC and New England, again outside of scenery.

Each southern state, NC, LA, TX, FL.. each is different and some more than most (Florida or Louisiana) but they're still within the same region and have more similarities in the end. Ohio and Kansas are both in the Midwest, at opposite points of the region, and both have lots of differences but plenty of similarities too. The coastal north is very different from the landlocked north. The south is far more coastal as a whole, it has two coastlines, both on the Atlantic ocean. That's another reason the entire south has more in common than the entire north, culturally. Also for some reason we stop considering it "the south" when you're west of Texas, which I don't necessarily agree with, because in my eyes, Maine to Washington is all "the north" so why can't Florida to southern California be all called "the south"? IDK, history I guess
Never said NC was a carbon copy of New England. I said NC was more similar to New York and Pennsylvania than it is to Louisiana.

But I see it really means a lot for you to be "right" on this "issue" so I'll let you take the W. Congrats!

Old 08-03-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:

The North isn't from Maine to Washington. Maine to North Dakota would be more accurate. Montana and west is considered Northwest/the West. I don't know many people who consider Washington a Northern state more than they consider it a Western state.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The North isn't from Maine to Washington. Maine to North Dakota would be more accurate. Montana and west is considered Northwest/the West. I don't know many people who consider Washington a Northern state more than they consider it a Western state.

I never really agreed with combining the entire country west of the plains as "The West." I learnt it as "Rocky Mnt. Region," "Southwest" and "Pacific Region."
Census Bureau

The United States Census Bureau divides some of the northernmost United States into the Midwest Region and the Northeast Region.[1] The Census Bureau also includes the northernmost states of the Northwestern United States, that are, within the West Region.[1]

That's from Wikipedia. I don't see why Washington should be excluded from being in "the North" when it's as north as you can get besides Alaska or Minnesota's northwest angle. It also has the link to the Midwest, as I heard a lot of its settlers came from the Upper Midwest, and it has the logging heritage similar to Minnesota or Maine.

I guess one of the more confusing things is how the north is more broadly defined than the south in this country. In any other country, Arizona would be considered "The South," but the US is different. But the north never had as strong a distinction.

Logically, the south should be split between southeast, south central and southwest, and the term "The South" should encompass the entire southern US from the west coast to the east coast. But you're right, Washington is more "Pacific Northwest" than simply "Northern" like Arizona is "Southwest" not "Southern."

Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Never said NC was a carbon copy of New England. I said NC was more similar to New York and Pennsylvania than it is to Louisiana.

But I see it really means a lot for you to be "right" on this "issue" so I'll let you take the W. Congrats!

How so, besides scenery and foliage? You're saying unsweet tea is more popular in NC than sweet tea, or there's far less confederate flags, less of "the south will rise again" types? Both NC and LA are southern states and they have a lot in common like the vast majority of Dixie, especially in rural areas. The biggest distinction is NC is east coast/Appalachian south, and LA is gulf coast/bayou south. The demographics vary slightly with LA having more Cajun and Creole influence, but otherwise they're not that different like you're implying. They both had a plantation slave based economy prior to the Civil War, they have a strong confederate heritage, and rednecks in both states will gladly remind you of that.

I know you live there and all but I'm not buying that its got more in common with PA or NY than LA. I've been to Tennessee right across the border and despite the mountains and lack of black people (which is unusual in most of the south) it wasn't that different to Louisiana. Not enough to be of a separate region.

Even Florida, a state that has been "yankee-fied" to death, is still far more like Louisiana than New York, old white ladies that sound like Fran Drescher and clog up the interstates going 2 MPH, aside.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I never really agreed with combining the entire country west of the plains as "The West." I learnt it as "Rocky Mnt. Region," "Southwest" and "Pacific Region."
Census Bureau

The United States Census Bureau divides some of the northernmost United States into the Midwest Region and the Northeast Region.[1] The Census Bureau also includes the northernmost states of the Northwestern United States, that are, within the West Region.[1]

That's from Wikipedia. I don't see why Washington should be excluded from being in "the North" when it's as north as you can get besides Alaska or Minnesota's northwest angle. It also has the link to the Midwest, as I heard a lot of its settlers came from the Upper Midwest, and it has the logging heritage similar to Minnesota or Maine.

I guess one of the more confusing things is how the north is more broadly defined than the south in this country. In any other country, Arizona would be considered "The South," but the US is different. But the north never had as strong a distinction.

Logically, the south should be split between southeast, south central and southwest, and the term "The South" should encompass the entire southern US from the west coast to the east coast. But you're right, Washington is more "Pacific Northwest" than simply "Northern" like Arizona is "Southwest" not "Southern."
I just don't know that I have ever heard of anything West of North Dakota being referred to as the North. I have never heard that just like I never heard anything west of Texas described as the South.

We have to consider that the West was settled by everybody. It is the one part of the country that can truly lay claim to have influences from everywhere. The Northeast, Southeast, and Midwest all had their part in forming the West. That's why I don't consider geographically Northern states to be "The North" when there is a heritage associated only with the West.

And honestly I don't think the US is alone in this regard. For example Liverpool is relatively West in England but it isn't considered officially the West Country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.