Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times

Advertisements

Top places I'd like to see that I haven't seen yet

Juneau, AK
Bellevue, WA
Boise, ID
Missoula, MT
Lake Tahoe, NV
Santa Fe, NM
Boulder, CO
Minneapolis, MN
Grand Rapids, MI
Mobile, AL
Miami, FL
Charleston, SC
Portland, ME
Burlington, VT
Cape May, NJ
Vancouver, BC
Montreal, Quebec
Quebec City, Quebec
Puerto Vallarta, MX
Oaxaca, MX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 04:24 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Places I have been that I'd really like to see again because I didn't get enough:

Seattle, WA
Honolulu, HI
San Francisco, CA
New Orleans, LA (will be there soon)
Marquette, MI
New York, NY
Boston, MA
Washington, DC
La Jolla, CA
Savannah, GA

Old 07-07-2016, 05:15 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
In no order:
1. Seattle
2. Portland, Ore.
3. Portland, Maine
4. Denver
5. Santa Fe
6. Austin
7. Charleston
8. Savannah
9. Nashville
10. Toronto
11. Ottawa
12. Quebec City
13. Montreal
14. Vancouver
15. Havana
16. Mexico City
17. Monterrey
18. Panama City
19. Philadelphia
20. Pittsburgh

I've already seen:
1. Chicago
2. Milwaukee
3. Minneapolis
4. Indianapolis
5. Boston
6. New York
7. DC
8. Charlotte
9. Orlando
10. Miami
11. Tampa
12. New Orleans
13. St. Louis
14. Memphis
15. Cincinnati
16. Las Vegas
17. LA
18. San Diego
19. San Francisco
20. Tucson

Old 07-07-2016, 06:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,010 times
In no particular order

New York
Miami
Charleston
Washington D.C.
San Francisco
Seattle
Portland
Austin
New Orleans
Montreal
Toronto
Vancouver
Mexico City
Anywhere in Montana
Providence
Anywhere in Maine
Tijuana (lol)
Asheville
Quebec City
Santa Fe

Old 10-28-2019, 12:13 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
LA
Havana
Detroit*
Toronto*
Miami
Atlanta
Fairbanks, AK
Dallas
Mexico City
Cairo, IL
Hilo, HI
Des Moines, IA*
Phoenix
Nuuk, Greenland
Flores, Guatemala (location of Tikal)
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico
Port au Prince, Haiti
Burlington, VT
Omaha
Angle Inlet, MN
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

*I may have been here briefly in childhood but don't remember it

Old 10-28-2019, 01:08 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I too am a city guy and I have been almost everywhere in NA except the Mexican metropolises and PR. So I will combine this into a list of cities I have yet to see/haven't seen very much of (* by the ones I've NEVER been to)

Honolulu
Phoenix
San Diego
Denver
Columbus*
Indy
VA Beach*
Providence
OKC
Memphis
Louisville
SLC*
Buffalo
Grand Rapids*
Omaha*
San Juan*
Edmonton*
Mexico City*
Guadalajara*
Monterrey*
3 years later, reviewing this list I can now remove Phoenix (4 days in early 2019), San Diego (5 days in late 2017), Denver (4 days in summer 2018), Indy (how funny that I wanted to visit...I've been back six times for work and could never have remembered listing it as a top 20 pick), Buffalo (2 days in summer of 2017)

But of course I love travel so there's five new cities I could add, plus I'd still happily return to any of those above.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:27 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
My North America bucket list:

Louisville
Madison
Guadalajara
Merida
Ottawa
St. Johns, Newfoundland
Yellowknife
Juneau
Victoria, BC
Santa Barbara, CA
Telluride
Jackson, WY
Bozeman/Big Sky
Mackinac Island
Charlottetown, PE
Sandusky, OH
Biloxi, MS

Old 10-28-2019, 05:05 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I have a typical to-do list

To-Do,,,
Seattle
Portland
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Omaha
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Boston
Savannah
Charleston
Mobile
Quebec City
Montreal
Halifax (and Maritimes)
Mexico City
Merida
San Miguel de Allende
Antigua, Guatemala

There are many places I want to revisit maybe more than some of these.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:49 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I've been almost everywhere within America itself... so I'll go ahead and list 5 cities that I actually haven't been to, and then the 5 that I most want/need to plan a trip back to, so that I can actually comment as if I've "been there" (either too long, or never actually explored the city).

Never Been:
1. Duluth (I get the feeling I'd like the North Shore in general, really)
2. Utqiagvik (was today years old when I found out name had been changed from Barrow in 2016. Also, want to watch a HS game on the blue turf on the Arctic Ocean. Probably one of the most unique settings in all of sports IMO.) https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...4d-156.6630337)
3. Pensacola (Most urbane/historic place I've never been in FL. Want to do a driving trip up the Emerald Coast)
4. Lawrence (I have no recollection of stopping here ever. Also, I've only seen the airport in KC. Would want to do a trip when it's and hit the Naismith Center for a game, along with College Basketball Experience in KC)
5. Ithaca (This just strikes me as a really neat and beautiful college town... and I've never actually been even though I grew up like 4ish hours from it. Would love to do a fall weekend in this vicinity, perhaps combined with some time back home in Cleveland along with maybe a couple days in Toronto.)
---
Been, but need to get back to:
1. New York City (Obviously. And, I feel like I've never actually fully experienced this. I would like at least 3 full days of wandering around here and 1 additional day in the Hudson Valley.)
2. Cincinnati (I lived in Ohio for 18 years. Yet, I can only remember 3 days in my life I've spent in Cincy. One in Great American Ballpark, one in the former Cinergy Field, and one time viewing the city from above in Devou Park in 2015, most recently. Would like very much to at least perhaps spent a full day exploring here with an overnight when passing through between Florida and Cleveland.)
3. Los Angeles (Including this one and NY, I almost feel basic doing so, but again, I want to have a full LA experience. I've spent time in various parts of this area, but would probably want to spent at least one full day exploring Downtown, one day exploring Koreatown/MacArthur Park, and one hybrid day (perhaps a trip out to Pasadena, to feel complete).
4. Miami (this one seems odd to include. But, while I was just there in June, I feel like I want to form more of a relationship with this "Alpha Global City" that's in my backyard basically. My goal is to eventually have some form of business or otherwise relationship with the city and have making a 3.5 hr. drive here be something I get to do at least 4-5 times a year, if not more, given that I don't know when I'll be able to move, and this can at least do a decent job of giving me a more urban/global city fix)
5. Vancouver (Even though this isn't an American city per se, I feel like it fits here. My last visit here wasn't that long ago... but I loved it. I'd like to rent an AirBNB for a week here during, well anytime really, and I feel like this is one of those places where I could visit almost without an agenda and just sort of enjoy it's pleasantness.)

10 Elsewhere in North America:
1. Dawson City, YT: A classic, rugged, authentic place, where I would like to take in the town vibe, and perhaps also visit in winter if possible to take in the Aurora and cross that off the list.
2. St. John's, NL: This looks like an absolutely beautiful city, a place that would be considered one of the most gorgeous towns in Scotland or on the Ring of Kerry, except that it's on our side of the pond. I bet it's so removed too that it just has a really, REALLY cool vibe. Check this photo: https://www.google.com/search?q=st.+...NHwwjZgA6v93DM Similar to Vancouver.. a place I could be perfectly happy just having a week with no agenda and taking life there as it comes.
3. Guanajuato: This place looks absolutely gorgeous, perhaps moreso than any city in North America, and perhaps as photogenic almost as any place in the world. Again, I could be content just eating, and being here. The fact that it isn't that big isn't really relevant to me: https://www.google.com/search?q=guan...Q5WiH6Pl_Bq_dM
4. Havana: This is really high on my list as city tourism goes. Just 300 miles from me, too. This is a place that I think would just be really compelling to visit, mainly just for a weekend is fine, but would like to do so in the next couple years if at all possible.
5. Merida: Similarly high to Havana-not the easiest to get to.. but a beautiful looking town, relatively safe and calm, and surrounded by a plurality of the most impressive Mayan sites. A global hub for archaeology. I may fly to Cancun and spend a night in the main tourist area there to add a beach element into the visit even though that wouldn't be primary goal.
6. Santo Domingo: I've heard mixed reviews about this one. On one hand, it's perhaps the "Capital of the Caribbean" from a world city standpoint at this time. OTOH, I've heard mixed reviews about aesthetics, walkability outside core, and it's appeal for visitors. That said, I would like to complete the trifecta of SJ/SD/HAV and hit the Caribbean Big 3, so I could see doing a few days in DR, or perhaps even stopping over on a cruise ship.
7. Puebla: I debated putting Panama City or Guadalajara here instead, but decided in favor of putting this one here because of how much I fell in love Mexico City perhaps as much as any urban destination on the planet, and the proximity Puebla has to this, and ecotourism opportunities (mountains). It also just generally looks like a cool city, and you get a two for one on the visit with Cholula, too.
8. Port-Au-Prince: This one is perhaps a controversial site. I mean it from the fact that visiting and observing the urban landscape, but also the desperate circumstances here is something to be aware of as a citizen of this continent-but perhaps also to help with. It looks like a visually captivating place, that's for sure: https://www.google.com/search?q=port...bsgqIZ830RQLyM
9. Granada, Nicaragua: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...!4d-85.9560005
This place looks magnificent both as a city center with old world charm, and also as an ecotourism destination, with it being set right on the largest lake in Central America (3000 sqmi) and less than 25 km removed from the still active Masaya Volcano. Also, knocks off Nicaragua, one of the remaining countries I haven't been to in Central America, and is only a few hours removed from the Costa Rican rainforest which I could combine a visit to almost by driving.
10. St. George's, Bermuda: Does this count as North America? Regardless, I would like to visit.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:52 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My North America bucket list:

Mackinac Island
This one in particular is UNIQUE. Hard for me to think if there are any places in the world quite like it even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.