Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 08:28 AM

306 posts, read 336,590 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Hawai'i in August, and I'm not taking enough with me to justify a shipping container. However, one thing I do want to take that I won't be able to take on a plane is my moped. I'm from Wisconsin, and was hoping to rent a truck (from Enterprise, i.e.), and drive it with my moped in the box to Oakland, where I can get it shipped to Hawaii. I'd then drop off the truck there and fly from Oakland to Hawaii. When I research Uhaul or Enterprise, they apparently don't allow you to rent pick up trucks for a cross country trip. Is there anyone who does? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:08 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Given the cost of renting a vehicle or shipping it have you considered selling it and buying a new one when you get there? It will be much more feasible economically.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:12 PM

306 posts, read 336,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given the cost of renting a vehicle or shipping it have you considered selling it and buying a new one when you get there? It will be much more feasible economically.
I have thought about leaving it here and getting something else there...the moped was bought brand new in 1982 by my grandpa and he gave it to me as a high school graduation gift so I'm definitely not going to sell it. I took a closer look at shipping rates and yeah it's extremely expensive just to get it from Oakland to Hawaii so I'll probably leave it here.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
You will find that it is almost impossible to rent a pick up and more so to rent one one-way.
Shipping will mean air freight or sea. Either way is not inexpensive and it will show up when it shows up. Do you really want to use a 30+ year old moped as your transportation on HI? Will you be able to get tags?

Store it well, store it safe! Insure it!

Old 07-04-2016, 01:25 PM

69 posts, read 178,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
I'm moving to Hawai'i in August, and I'm not taking enough with me to justify a shipping container. However, one thing I do want to take that I won't be able to take on a plane is my moped. I'm from Wisconsin, and was hoping to rent a truck (from Enterprise, i.e.), and drive it with my moped in the box to Oakland, where I can get it shipped to Hawaii. I'd then drop off the truck there and fly from Oakland to Hawaii. When I research Uhaul or Enterprise, they apparently don't allow you to rent pick up trucks for a cross country trip. Is there anyone who does? Thanks.
I can think of at least 3 ways you could easily do this at enterprise.

1) Just walk into any local branch and ask which of the locations has a manager who likes to do deals.
You'll have to have a credit card, and if you tell them you'll buy their full insurance it'll really help your case.

2) book a one-way reservation for a normal car, and ask to upgrade to a pickup truck. When I worked there, we always had too many pickup trucks and I'd love a chance to send one out of my fleet via a one way.

3)You could also go ahead and rent a car for the one way, but before picking it up call around to other locations and see if they'd want to switch you out of the small car into a pickup truck. This way, the original renting branch assumes the risk for the truck, and the branch that switched you into it gets rid of their truck risk free. You'd need to make sure the car you are switching out of is one that the branch switching you into would actually want.

Don't bother if you don't have a credit card (an actual credit card)

Old 07-05-2016, 08:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
I get rental trucks from Enterprise a lot. One way will cost you a lot extra, but, as mentioned, the manager can do it. I took one from KC to FL. They charged me ~$400 drop off fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.