Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
"Half-abandoned" areas constitute an extremely minimal proportion of metropolitan Atlanta, particularly in a residential sense. It's important to remember that the city itself has only about 10% of the metro area and has seen significant growth in households despite little in the way of population gains. There is certainly vacant retail space scattered around the region, and many inner suburban areas that have transitioned over time to a less prosperous demographic than they had originally. But overall, Atlanta has hardly any Rust Belt characteristics - aside from a substantial population that has moved into the area from such places.
Yeah I wouldn't say "a lot" of areas but there are some. Those that would qualify would be Bankhead, English Ave/Vine City, and parts of SW Atlanta. There are also some housing projects that have been shuttered that haven't seen redevelopment just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 03:22 PM

67 posts, read 77,107 times
I guess I was exaggerating about there being a lot of neighborhoods.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:25 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,750 times
Honestly the only cities I can think of in the South that have Rust Belt characteristics are Louisville, Huntington, WV, and other cities along the Ohio River and near the southern periphery of the Midwest. There really aren't any others.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM

593 posts, read 667,613 times
Jacksonville Florida in many ways, the biggest being the near total loss of the ship work/building industry. If you look at old pics the Jax waterfront downtown used to be lined with shipyards, today there is maybe one left (not sure if its even being used). Jax also had a decent manufacturing base, although when compared to a Detroit of Buffalo it would seem relatively insignificant. Jax has rebounded pretty well though, we are probably the only big city in Florida that doesn't rely on tourism. There is actually a large amount of white collar professional jobs here, i would dare to say we may have the strongest professional job market in Florida. The city has immense potential and i truly believe Jax will look like an entire different city from today by 2030.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Wheeling, WV is not Southern.
lol

Old 07-19-2016, 03:38 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,913 times
^^Yea my same reaction, people and their different versions of the south are very interesting

Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Birmingham is pretty gritty. Most of the wealth in the area has moved up to the top or over to the other side of Red Mountain to the south of the city. Chattanooga has plenty of grit south of downtown toward the Georgia state line. Even Nashville has an industrial vibe east of its downtown.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:24 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
I'm not sure there is a true Rust Belt type city in the South. I assume it's not just about heavy industry, but also about stagnation, population loss, and a general loss of prominence overall. I guess most would immediately think of Birmingham, but that city has done a complete turnaround and is not languishing at all these days. Same with Chattanooga, Atlanta, Jacksonville, etc. Memphis is probably the southern city that I can think of as stagnating, but even Memphis is not comparable to a Buffalo or Detroit in that category.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:32 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
^^Yea my same reaction, people and their different versions of the south are very interesting
Well go to Wheeling and tell a local they are in the South and they will probably laugh at you.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:36 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Well go to Wheeling and tell a local they are in the South and they will probably laugh at you.
Yeah, it is in the Western PA/NE Ohio sphere of influence like the rest of the Northern Panhandle of WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.