Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM

23 posts, read 116,360 times

Advertisements

Ckhthankgod- I am not sure where you are from but that is the exact region of where I was born and live today. Poughkeepsie was never this bad and has taken a bad turn relatively fast. Beacon has had a huge improvement over the years and has come a long way. Newburgh is still getting there. Like I said I am not sure where you're from but being raised here my whole life I've seen how these communities are and where they have improved and where they have not. Westchester area is good but it's also very very expensive and I am more of a country girl (also mentioned that in the original post). Westchester also has its bad areas but that is going to be wherever you go in the world. I didn't say the area from Albany to the city is wasteland but in my opinion , I do not want to raise a family here and I also want a new scenery. Everyone is different and has their own opinion but from the community I grew up in to the community it has become now, it is totally opposite.

Please note, this is just where I am from the UPPER HUDSON VALLEY. I do not know much about the other areas like Ulster or Columbia counties so I can't comment on those.

Also I didn't know of a meth problem in New Hampshire .. This area is one of the biggest for heroin right now .. Not sure why but it's becoming a huge epidemic and I've lost many friends to it.

Like I said before, I haven't traveled much around the US and I only came on here to get some helpful suggestions from people. Sorry if my post was offensive. It's just my own personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 07:06 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
I've lived in NH and heroin seemed more common than meth. I never knew any meth addicts. I knew several guys who did heroin but I was in the fish industry where that stuff is more common.

Still NH has the lowest murder rate in the US, some of the highest salaries, and one of the highest average SAT scores in the US. It's a good safe place to live.

http://www.freedominthe50states.org/

If you move there just be prepared for the property taxes and cost of car registration, which are going to be more than NY. Other than that it's pretty affordable for the northeast.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 09-04-2016 at 07:25 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,866 times
Here are my suggestions: I’m basing my choices on quality education, sense of community, business climate, outdoor recreation opportunities, and a true winter.

I would look at Wyoming and Montana if I were you. Missoula, MT is in a wonderful location but it does swing a bit to the left. If that isn’t your thing, maybe Kalispell (next to Glacier National Park), Helena, or Big Sky would work? Also, the North Idaho area meets your needs. Places like Sandpoint or Coeur d’Alene are absolutely gorgeous.

I believe Wyoming is consistently ranked among the top tax-friendly states as well as safe, outdoor orientated places to raise a family. Maybe Sheridan, Buffalo, Lander, or Jackson, WY? Have you ever experienced the geography of these states? It’s mind-blowing after growing up on the east coast. The skiing blows away anything from the east. I'm from the east so I can say that

Utah. People are catching on to Utah and, from my personal observations, real estate prices are on the upswing. However, the people live a life you are looking for. Provo, UT north to Ogden and any of the surrounding suburbs will meet your criteria plus certainly give you the Christmas spirit as well as outdoor activities. I’m not sure if the religious climate in that area would be acceptable for you?

I am holding off on suggesting the front range of Colorado simply due to the population growth. To get a decently priced plot of land will put you far into the Plains away from the good recreation. Although the mountain towns would be worth a look to give you the rural life.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I've lived in NH and heroin seemed more common than meth. I never knew any meth addicts. I knew several guys who did heroin but I was in the fish industry where that stuff is more common.

Still NH has the lowest murder rate in the US, some of the highest salaries, and one of the highest average SAT scores in the US. It's a good safe place to live.

Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Overall Freedom | Cato Institute

If you move there just be prepared for the property taxes and cost of car registration, which are going to be more than NY. Other than that it's pretty affordable for the northeast.
joeyg2014- I know that some costs may be more expensive than New York but would you say overall it's still cheaper? The biggest problem in my area is that literally everything is expensive. I think the only thing that has decreased is gas. A lot of people around here have to have 2 working parents with 2 jobs each just to get by. Just like one of the other people posted, one necessity might be more expensive but when looking at all the expenses together, their move was still saving them money.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:33 PM

Periodic- I have never been to any of those states before (sad to say I haven't had much experience traveling .. Wyoming and Montana are very far west but hey, I am willing to look at any and all options! Do you know how the job market is and or the housing and other 3 seasons ?

Old 09-04-2016, 07:43 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlf123 View Post
joeyg2014- I know that some costs may be more expensive than New York but would you say overall it's still cheaper? The biggest problem in my area is that literally everything is expensive. I think the only thing that has decreased is gas. A lot of people around here have to have 2 working parents with 2 jobs each just to get by. Just like one of the other people posted, one necessity might be more expensive but when looking at all the expenses together, their move was still saving them money.
I'm originally from NY too and all the NYers I know who moved to NH prefer living in NH. I don't know the math but I also always felt like my life and finances were a lot less stressful to deal with in NH.

There's also no sales tax which to me is awesome.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I'm originally from NY too and all the NYers I know who moved to NH prefer living in NH. I don't know the math but I also always felt like my life and finances were a lot less stressful to deal with in NH.

There's also no sales tax which to me is awesome.
Can you tell me where in New Hampshire you would suggest moving to?

Old 09-04-2016, 08:00 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Ckhthankgod- I am not sure where you are from but that is the exact region of where I was born and live today. Poughkeepsie was never this bad and has taken a bad turn relatively fast. Beacon has had a huge improvement over the years and has come a long way. Newburgh is still getting there. Like I said I am not sure where you're from but being raised here my whole life I've seen how these communities are and where they have improved and where they have not. Westchester area is good but it's also very very expensive and I am more of a country girl (also mentioned that in the original post). Westchester also has its bad areas but that is going to be wherever you go in the world. I didn't say the area from Albany to the city is wasteland but in my opinion , I do not want to raise a family here and I also want a new scenery. Everyone is different and has their own opinion but from the community I grew up in to the community it has become now, it is totally opposite.

Please note, this is just where I am from the UPPER HUDSON VALLEY. I do not know much about the other areas like Ulster or Columbia counties so I can't comment on those.

Also I didn't know of a meth problem in New Hampshire .. This area is one of the biggest for heroin right now .. Not sure why but it's becoming a huge epidemic and I've lost many friends to it.

Like I said before, I haven't traveled much around the US and I only came on here to get some helpful suggestions from people. Sorry if my post was offensive. It's just my own personal opinion.
My post wasn't so much about your post, but so others aren't scared of that area of the state, as it has some positive aspects as well. It is part of the NYC metro now and may have impacted costs in Dutchess and Orange counties.

Also, thanks for the correction joeyg, as I meant to say heroin instead of meth.

OP, what about parts of WV like the Eastern Panhandle(Martinsburg, Charles Town, Ranson, Shepherdstown, etc) or its North Central region(Morgantown, Clarksburg and Fairmont)? Both of those regions of that state have had recent economic and population growth, but would still be quite affordable. Morgantown has West Virginia University and NASA has a facility in Clarksburg, if I'm not mistaken. With the Eastern Panhandle parts gets commuter rail into DC and could help in terms of employment options. Correction, Fairmont has the NASA facility, not nearby Clarksburg.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-04-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,866 times
You're young right? Take advantage. Just travel. I did and it was one of the best decisions of my life. I seriously can’t recommend it enough.

I forgot about Pocatello and Idaho Falls, ID. I would also strongly look at them.

I can’t really comment on business climates since my profession is immune to that requirement. I do hear good things about all of the states I listed, but I can’t confirm. Idaho Falls has the Idaho National Laboratory that is doing some great things with energy research.

Of the places I listed, I would assume Big Sky and Jackson hole to be the most expensive. They are also the most touristy. The biggest change from the east coast climate is way less humidity during the summer.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:27 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Danielj72- I was thinking of New Hampshire too because it isn't too far from my family in New York but I read that because there isn't state tax everything else is very expensive such as utilities, groceries, health, etc. what is your input on this ?

All I know about NH is that it is very pretty, and it meets the criteria you seem to be looking for. I have never lived in the Northeast but I do know it has a high cost of living. Maybe someone who has lived in New England can help out with this question. I do know that many places there could be the cover of a Christmas card in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.