Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are virtually all homes air conditioned and/or heated in your area?
Virtually all both heated and air conditioned 20 54.05%
Virtually all heated, less than virtually all air conditioned 13 35.14%
Virtually all air conditioned, less than virtually all heated 4 10.81%
Virtually all neither 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times

Advertisements

Do normal homes and places of business have heating in your area? If so, what types are most common?

How about air conditioning?

Minnesotan homes, stores, and offices always are heated, as temperatures in the winter may not rise above freezing for months at a time, and sink to as low as below -40F/-40C on rare occasions. The most common type of heating seems to be a furnace. Radiators are also found, and often supplement furnaces. Furnaces are generally connected to natural gas lines, though in rural areas without that infrastructure they often run on diesel fuel, which can be delivered by a truck or filled yourself, if you do not have the money available for a minimum delivery (100 gallons / about $400 last winter). The heating season varies, but usually runs from the beginning or middle of October to the beginning of May.

Air conditioning is something that I have seen become popular within my time here. It used to be somewhat rare for residences to have air conditioning, but I would say that today 75% of homes are air conditioned, at least over the hill. New homes tend to have central A/C, while most homes built without it seem to have wall units. On the hillside and below the cool winds from Lake Superior help keep things cool (or even cold), while over the hill temperatures can exceed 86F/30C. We once had four wall units; one for my parents' room, one for the living room, one for my brothers' room, and one for the garage. Now we only have one in my brothers' old room. Air conditioning is needed sparingly, as many summer days do not rise above 70F/21C. However, there are streaks of warm, humid weather in which air conditioning can make all the difference. Houses are built here to retain heat, so they can become very warm when temperatures outside are hot; I've seen 94F/34C in my bedroom before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Everyone has at least one source of heat, usually a fuel oil boiler system that is also used for hot water. Probably about half the homes also have at least one wood stove. Nobody has air conditioning, as a 70F day is quite hot here and 75+ is very rare. You may even occasionally need the heater in the summer if it's been cool and rainy for several days.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Just about everything has AC in Phoenix. Heat too.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Heat yes, AC no. Well, some do have AC, but many if not most do not. My apartment has baseboard heat but I've never used it; the only heat I ever need is a small space heater. It's just not very cold or hot.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,597,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Just about everything has AC in Phoenix. Heat too.
Heat? That seems surprising to me. How often would you have to use it?

It's mostly the century old homes here in SE Michigan that don't have AC. But they do have heating. The house I grew up in within Detroit had this type of boiler (looked even more old and dirty) in the basement. I was always scared to stand next to it because it was twice my size and was pretty loud. It fed water to the radiators that were in most rooms and that's how we got heat.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9920599&type=3

For AC, we had to buy the one that you stick in the window. Only half the house would stay cool for some reason.

More modern homes (post-war) and renovated homes have AC and central heating by a furnace. I'm not too sure about any other methods.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,030 times
In the Southern Tier of NY all homes have heat. Those in more populated areas usually heat with natural gas. Rural areas are often oil or propane with wood as supplement. Only some homes have central a/c, though it seems most people have at least one window unit, if not more than one.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Heat? That seems surprising to me. How often would you have to use it?

It's mostly the century old homes here in SE Michigan that don't have AC. But they do have heating. The house I grew up in within Detroit had this type of boiler (looked even more old and dirty) in the basement. I was always scared to stand next to it because it was twice my size and was pretty loud. It fed water to the radiators that were in most rooms and that's how we got heat.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9920599&type=3

For AC, we had to buy the one that you stick in the window. Only half the house would stay cool for some reason.

More modern homes (post-war) and renovated homes have AC and central heating by a furnace. I'm not too sure about any other methods.

Winter nights.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:32 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,100 times
In New Orleans most/all homes have AC. Many older homes just have window AC units(and all homes usually have ceiling fans which really help) but most new houses have central AC and some older homes have the houses renovated for central AC systems. For heating many houses have wall mounted gas heaters or little electric space heaters that you pull out for those cold days. Then other homes will have the central AC that also has heat and that gets the job done.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,582 times
Yes, nearly all homes have both. With temperatures in Albuquerque nearing 100º in the Summer and lows below freezing in the winter. You need both.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
In New Mexico (northern NM, at least) all houses have heat. Even in the warmest part of the region, sub freezing temps for at least part of the day exist from October through March or April. In most of the region single digits occur at least a few days a year. The plumbing simply couldn't take it if people did not heat their homes in New Mexico.

Most houses have some kind of A/C as well, but significant areas do not, especially at higher elevations. I have known several people in Santa Fe without cooling (besides fans to blow in/circulate cool night air) even though temps in the upper 80s to low 90s are not unusual in the summer months. Personally, I need A/C when the indoor temps get above the upper 70s.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 05-17-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.