Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 03:59 PM

54 posts, read 119,887 times

Advertisements

I am trying to move out of the D.C. area...I am desperate to get away from the rat race and find a slower pace of life. I am looking particularly to live in the mountains, but don't want to be too way out there. However, I am having trouble finding a place that is a small city, not too rural, with a low crime rate! I have looked extensively in the South in Georgia, TN, Alabama, Florida, SC, and I have yet to find a town that doesn't have a high crime rate. All of the major cities in TN, GA, such as even Dahlonega, have a city data crime rate of 300 or higher. Too high for me.
The other thing, though, is that I am trying to find a cheap place to live. I want to get away from high priced, too high powered places.

I have been dreaming of moving to the west for a long time. However, the parts of Colorado such as Denver, Boulder, etc are too high powered for what I'm looking for and it seems the more rural places of Colorado are hurting for jobs, etc and have high crime. Same with Oregon. In terms of Washington State, the rain is a problem. Eastern WA seems to have a pretty high crime rate in general as well?
Idaho and MT seem a bit scary for the same reason.

New Mexico and Arizona are hard for me to figure out because most areas there have quite high crime rates.
The Midwest is a possibility, but for some reason I am drawn to the mountains.

I really am looking for a change of lifestyle..just don't want to be too remote.
Can someone suggest some places to live that are safe, with good economic stability, and possibly in the mountains? Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Portland OR and Burlington VT might be worth a look. Both near mountains, both have decent economies, but don't know what crime is like in either, though it's probably lower than DC. Housing will be cheaper than DC I'd also wager, especially after you leave the cities themselves and go to nearby areas.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:22 PM

67 posts, read 77,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Portland OR and Burlington VT might be worth a look. Both near mountains, both have decent economies, but don't know what crime is like in either, though it's probably lower than DC. Housing will be cheaper than DC I'd also wager, especially after you leave the cities themselves and go to nearby areas.
Really, Portland, I don't think that is "off the beaten path" in pretty much any way, shape, or form.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
If you can financially swing it, check out the Ojai, CA area. Ojai is an arty, laid back enclave. The surrounding areas like Meiners Oaks, Mira Monte and Oak View are more affordable. You can just drive down the hill to work in Ventura, the County seat.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:04 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,622,556 times
I always thought Maryville, Tennessee seemed like it would be a nice little town to live in, in East Tennessee, close to Knoxville and the Smokey Mountains. I think there's about 25,000 people living there. I'm sure it's very safe town. It might be just the kind of place you're looking for.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:59 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
A sleeper may be Plattsburgh NY. It is a small city of 21,000(32,000 if you include the town of Plattsburgh) across Lake Champlain from Burlington VT that is minutes from the Adirondacks. It also has its own municipal lakeside beach and is about an hour south of Montreal. It actually has had growth in manufacturing due to the area's partnership with Quebec based companies in the area and even the local Chamber of Commerce calls it "Montreal's US suburb". North Country Chamber-Home

More: Made In Plattsburgh: Benefits & Challenges To Growing

Growth in manufacturing in Plattsburgh | Cover Story - mountainlake.org

Norsk Titanium - Norsk Titanium to Build World

Economic Opportunities | Plattsburgh - Lake Champlain Region

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...ing-operations

Recent Relocations and Expansions in Greater Plattsburgh, NY. - The Development Corporation

http://gotravelaz.com/wp-content/upl...urgh_23332.jpg

The Big Apple: Plattsburgh: Montreal’s U.S. Airport (Plattsburgh International Airport nickname)

Its overall cost of living is actually just below to right at the national average as well.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:43 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
If you want mountains, economically stable, laidback and lower crime yet with attractive amenities you really ought to look at the Asheville-Hendersonville-Brevard area in Western NC.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblueberry1 View Post
I am trying to move out of the D.C. area...I am desperate to get away from the rat race and find a slower pace of life. I am looking particularly to live in the mountains, but don't want to be too way out there. However, I am having trouble finding a place that is a small city, not too rural, with a low crime rate! I have looked extensively in the South in Georgia, TN, Alabama, Florida, SC, and I have yet to find a town that doesn't have a high crime rate. All of the major cities in TN, GA, such as even Dahlonega, have a city data crime rate of 300 or higher. Too high for me.
The other thing, though, is that I am trying to find a cheap place to live. I want to get away from high priced, too high powered places.

I have been dreaming of moving to the west for a long time. However, the parts of Colorado such as Denver, Boulder, etc are too high powered for what I'm looking for and it seems the more rural places of Colorado are hurting for jobs, etc and have high crime. Same with Oregon. In terms of Washington State, the rain is a problem. Eastern WA seems to have a pretty high crime rate in general as well?
Idaho and MT seem a bit scary for the same reason.

New Mexico and Arizona are hard for me to figure out because most areas there have quite high crime rates.
The Midwest is a possibility, but for some reason I am drawn to the mountains.

I really am looking for a change of lifestyle..just don't want to be too remote.
Can someone suggest some places to live that are safe, with good economic stability, and possibly in the mountains? Thank you very much.
I'm from New Mexico. I agree. Crime sucks here, though people are nice (kind of a paradox). However, not all parts of Arizona are bad. Take a look at Prescott. The weather's great there with 4 distinct seasons. It's small, but has everything you need. Many people that move from east to southwest find the people and weather to be quite friendly... maybe because it's much slower here.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I'm from New Mexico. I agree. Crime sucks here, though people are nice (kind of a paradox). However, not all parts of Arizona are bad. Take a look at Prescott. The weather's great there with 4 distinct seasons. It's small, but has everything you need. Many people that move from east to southwest find the people and weather to be quite friendly... maybe because it's much slower here.
I have been to Prescott and I agree that its a good choice for the OP.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
I was gonna say Prescott, too. Prescott Valley? Bisbee? Jerome? All in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.