Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

What are some neighborhoods that you know of that would fit the title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Gonna plug the place I grew up: Albany Park in Chicago. Though I've heard rents are starting to go up there as of very recently.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:40 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,316,919 times
In NJ:
Bayonne
North Hudson towns (WNY, North Bergen, etc)
Ironbound (it’s one of the top nabes people recommend in Newark, but I wouldn’t call it trendy)
West Bergen area of Jersey City (Journal Square and the Heights are getting to be “trendy”)
Rahway, maybe Linden

Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Generally I would say walkable portions of college towns, quieter family neighborhoods in Chicago and Philly, and if your threshold for safe is a little bit on the lower side, then some inner city blue collar neighborhoods that haven't really gentrified.

Specifically I guess I might look at the area near the southwest portion of UF's campus in Gainesville, Durkeeville or Lakewood in Jacksonville, Jefferson Park and Berwyn in Chicagoland. I don't really know others off the top of my head. And really those Gainesville and Jax examples are borderline "legitimately walkable."

Old 02-22-2018, 09:52 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Lakewood OH fits the bill very well. It's a border suburb of Cleveland (west side) that features two heavy rail stations (Cleveland's RTA), compact density and Walk Scores mostly in the 75-77 range.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
^I've definitely heard great things about Lakewood.

I'll add the NW side of campus for UF in Gainesville too. Forgot how much development has occurred over there since I was a student.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Lakewood OH fits the bill very well. It's a border suburb of Cleveland (west side) that features two heavy rail stations (Cleveland's RTA), compact density and Walk Scores mostly in the 75-77 range.
I'm very interested in Lakewood. Prices seem great and the neighborhoods seem very walkable. Too bad it's in Ohio though. I hear the weather isn't the greatest in the Cleveland area.

Anyway, other neighborhoods that fit this thread include:

Center Square, Albany, NY - Many people commonly call this downtown Albany. It's very pedestrian friendly. I just wish there was a supermarket closer.

New Scotland, Albany, NY - Lived in this neighborhood for many years. Great if you like to walk and cycle. Pizzerias, delis, post office, banks, and more within walking distance. Its neighbor, Pine Hills is also great and is closer to the Price Chopper. Lots of families in this neighborhood.

Schenectady, NY - While this city isn't known for being the safest, I've found the area between Nott and Union in between Ellis Hospital and the High School are extremely safe, quiet, and walkable. Puts you right on the border with Niskayuna which is very safe and very family friendly.

Scotia, NY - Just across the river from Schenectady is Scotia. Small, friendly community with a very walkable strip that's easy to walk to from many of the neighborhoods. I personally think this is the best kept secret in the Capital Region. Scotia's known for being safe. All along Mohawk Ave you have everything you need: barbershops, jewelry stores, banks, gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, bars, and more.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Gonna plug the place I grew up: Albany Park in Chicago. Though I've heard rents are starting to go up there as of very recently.
It's still pretty cheap compared to other north and near west side neighborhoods.

Nighthawk is a good spot too.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:55 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
A couple that come to mind: Eastwood Neighborhood Association

Court-Woodlawn Task Force

A neighborhood that bridges the 2 neighborhoods: SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Another place: Village Of New Hartford: Local Businesses: Local Businesses [Digital Towpath]

Old 03-21-2018, 04:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Sloan's Lake in Denver. South of the trendy Highlands, but with all the advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.