Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 02:50 PM

133 posts, read 148,689 times

Advertisements

I'm making a shortlist of neighborhoods that are walking-distance close to nice shops and restaurants (not just the strip-mall kind). I've been considering those listed below, each which my wife and I find comfortable, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing any (we've lived in the area for only a year).

Looking to avoid long commutes to downtown (or the Central Ave corridor north of downtown), but don't want to live too close to downtown, or any area where I'd be worried about my pretty blonde wife walking alone.

On our radar are:
  • Biltmore
  • Scottsdale (near or north of Old Town)
  • Kierland (and Desert Ridge, but that's getting pretty far from town)
  • Tempe (parts of it)
Thanks for letting me know if we're missing anything
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 03:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post
I'm making a shortlist of neighborhoods that are walking-distance close to nice shops and restaurants (not just the strip-mall kind). I've been considering those listed below, each which my wife and I find comfortable, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing any (we've lived in the area for only a year).

Looking to avoid long commutes to downtown (or the Central Ave corridor north of downtown), but don't want to live too close to downtown, or any area where I'd be worried about my pretty blonde wife walking alone.

On our radar are:
  • Biltmore
  • Scottsdale (near or north of Old Town)
  • Kierland (and Desert Ridge, but that's getting pretty far from town)
  • Tempe (parts of it)
Thanks for letting me know if we're missing anything

You are going to need to change your rental budget discussed in another thread for most if not all of those areas. Old Town Scottsdale is probably the most walkable. Kierland and Desert Ridge, you have to be living right next to the restaurant/shopping to call those walkable. Parts of Biltmore are walkable, it sort of depends on what you mean by "Biltmore".

Tempe outside of the University area is walkable for those purposes in certain areas. Near the University, there's a LOT within walking distance, but you may not want to live among thousands of college students. Tempe gets extra points for commuting to downtown, as they have the most mass transit options. You might also consider midtown/uptown Phoenix, in the central corridor, from, say, Indian School north around Central Avenue.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:27 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,028 times
Why don't you look in the area along Hayden Rd. from Indian School up to about Indian Bend. This area is known as the greenbelt area. It is lined with parks and people walk, jog roller blade, ride bikes all hours of the day. Plenty of dining and shopping options as well. It is a great area.

The units will be older (late 70's to mid 90's) with many updated. There are several in your price point available right now and they are "owner managed" (you said you prefer this).

Old 12-23-2016, 03:31 PM

2,786 posts, read 7,447,459 times
Biltmore isn't all that walkable, and Desert Ridge definitely is not walkable outside the immediate confines of the shopping center itself. I'd add Downtown Phoenix, especially the Roosevelt Row area; the Midtown historic districts (e.g. Willo), and Uptown Phoenix to your list. As for crime, Downtown does not have a higher crime rate than most outlying areas of the city.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:33 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
Actually the areas closer to downtown are just as safe to walk in as any other place and there is a lot of new apartment construction which should lead to some move-in bargains, but they'd still probably be over your budget.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Desert Ridge is just a massive strip mall. I'd cross that out. I much prefer Kierland and the Scottsdale Quarter, but those are just shopping malls too. Still, some decent dining and shopping.

I'd add Arcadia(ish), specifically near 40th Street from Indian School to Camelback. The Hayden/Greenbelt area is a good suggestion as well but I'd call it bikeable more so than walkable. I also wouldn't discount Downtown, Roosevelt Row and Midtown. That's probably the best urban area and it's safe.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You are going to need to change your rental budget discussed in another thread for most if not all of those areas. Old Town Scottsdale is probably the most walkable. Kierland and Desert Ridge, you have to be living right next to the restaurant/shopping to call those walkable. Parts of Biltmore are walkable, it sort of depends on what you mean by "Biltmore".

Tempe outside of the University area is walkable for those purposes in certain areas. Near the University, there's a LOT within walking distance, but you may not want to live among thousands of college students. Tempe gets extra points for commuting to downtown, as they have the most mass transit options. You might also consider midtown/uptown Phoenix, in the central corridor, from, say, Indian School north around Central Avenue.
Thanks again for your insights. I tried to up your reputation but it won't let me because I've done that too recently already

Budget: We've padded it a little, and realize we won't find what we want for less than $1200.

Biltmore: within 2 or 3 blocks of 24th and Camelback is currently top on the list.

Tempe: Yeah, it's on the bottom of the list for a reason...

Midtown/Uptown: I need to explore it more. It seems to be undergoing gentrification, IIRC. Does being near the light rail bring any undesirable consequences?

Old 12-23-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Why don't you look in the area along Hayden Rd. from Indian School up to about Indian Bend. This area is known as the greenbelt area. It is lined with parks and people walk, jog roller blade, ride bikes all hours of the day. Plenty of dining and shopping options as well. It is a great area.

The units will be older (late 70's to mid 90's) with many updated. There are several in your price point available right now and they are "owner managed" (you said you prefer this).
Thanks, Joe. That's a totally nice area, for sure. Does the Scottsdale trolley go through that area? We're trying to stay a one-car couple, so my wife needs to be able to get around.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Desert Ridge is just a massive strip mall. I'd cross that out. I much prefer Kierland and the Scottsdale Quarter, but those are just shopping malls too. Still, some decent dining and shopping.

I'd add Arcadia(ish), specifically near 40th Street from Indian School to Camelback. The Hayden/Greenbelt area is a good suggestion as well but I'd call it bikeable more so than walkable. I also wouldn't discount Downtown, Roosevelt Row and Midtown. That's probably the best urban area and it's safe.
Hey old buddy, long time no chat! You were helpful to me a year ago when we were moving here from out of state. Wound up settling in Vistancia and love it, plus its amazing value ($1400 gets us a LOT of house, and there are no extra fees like the apartments love to charge). Problem is, I had a work-from-home job back then and didn't need to commute. Now the commute is a major downer.

Back on track: I will check out the areas you (and another) suggested, thanks!

Old 12-23-2016, 06:06 PM

2,786 posts, read 7,447,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post

Midtown/Uptown: I need to explore it more. It seems to be undergoing gentrification, IIRC. Does being near the light rail bring any undesirable consequences?
Areas near light rail are targeted for dense, walkable development as part of the ReinventPHX initiative. Many new apartment complexes are under construction along the rail corridor, and some of the trendier new restaurants are near stations. I don't see much of a downside other than a little train noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area