Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Northern state?
Maine 21 13.91%
Vermont 8 5.30%
New Hampshire 0 0%
Massachusetts 37 24.50%
Rhode Island 0 0%
Connecticut 4 2.65%
New York 29 19.21%
Michigan 3 1.99%
Wisconsin 2 1.32%
Minnesota 43 28.48%
North Dakota 3 1.99%
South Dakota 0 0%
Nebraska 1 0.66%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:48 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Any state that can grow evergreen Southern Magnolias and Mimossa trees (southern Michigan) and have a 6b plant hardiness zone cannot be considered the quintessentially northern state in my mind, just seems silly. Extreme southern Michigan is even further south than parts of California, does that really scream northern?

I'd have to go with Minnissota as its climate is much colder and it reaches the furthest north of any contiguous state.
Grow magnolias in Michigan? Not without a lot of protection. As far south as parts of California? Hard to believe that is true as well. Geographically the place is very northern.

What is northern depends on how you define northern. Most people think of northeast states. Midwest is different, so I would exclude Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin for that reason. Northern culture is Yankee culture, so that means the urban northeast and New England. I’d go with New York or Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:38 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Almost 6 months after living in Minnesota and I stand by my opinion. We are solidly Midwestern but we also have elements similar to both the Pacific Northwest and New England, with our scenery up north. Besides Minnesota I would vote for Michigan. I always wondered why people don't group the "Northwest" when talking about the "North." What makes Washington not the "North" or Oregon or Idaho. I know they're also the West but no one makes that claim for the East now do they? To be fair I also don't group the "West" as a distinct region the way the "Midwest" is. I split it between Rocky Mountain, Southwest and West Coast.
I think that when people think of the north they think about the unionist states that participated in the civil war and although Oregon existed back then, it was the smallest state in terms of population and didn't really play a critical roll, most people focus on the eastern half of the country when thinking about the 1800s. But yes both Seattle and Portland are way further north than any major city on the east coast.

Bellingham, WA: 48°45′N
Seattle, WA: 47°37′N
Bismarck, ND: 46°49′N
Duluth, MN: 46°48′N
Helena, MT: 46°36′N
Portland, OR: 45°31′N
Minneapolis, MN: 44°59′N
Pierre, SD: 44°22′N
Augusta, ME: 44°19′N
Montpelier, VT: 44°15′N
Boise, ID: 43°37′N
Sioux Falls, SD: 43°32′N
Rochester, NY: 43°10′N
Milwaukee, WI: 43°03′N
Boston, MA: 42°21′N
Detroit, MI: 42°20′N
Chicago, IL: 41°53′N
Des Moines, IA: 41°35′N
Cleveland, OH: 41°29′N
Cheyenne, WY: 41°09′N
Lincoln, NE: 40°49′N
New York, NY: 40°40′N
Pittsburgh, PA: 40°27′N
Indianapolis, IN: 39°46′N
Denver, CO: 39°44′N
Reno, NV: 39°32′N
Baltimore, MD: 39°17′N
Washington, DC: 38°54′N
St. Louis, MO: 38°38′N
Sacramento, CA: 38°33′N
Charleston, WV: 38°21′N
Louisville, KY: 38°15′N

Old 01-22-2018, 09:18 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Grow magnolias in Michigan? Not without a lot of protection. As far south as parts of California? Hard to believe that is true as well. Geographically the place is very northern.

What is northern depends on how you define northern. Most people think of northeast states. Midwest is different, so I would exclude Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin for that reason. Northern culture is Yankee culture, so that means the urban northeast and New England. I’d go with New York or Massachusetts.
We have evergreen Southern Magnolias right here in Windsor, that receive absolutely no protection, that come through winter unscathed most years, some are close to 15 ft tall. They are definately hard to find, and are few and far between, but they do grow and thrive here.
And yes, the southern part of Michigan extends further south than the Northern California border, same as the southern part of the county I’m in in Canada, Essex County.These are facts, whether you want to beleive them or not.

Last edited by North 42; 01-22-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

Yankee culture is New England + Mid-Atlantic? Or just New England?

You realize a lot of the Upper Midwest was settled by Americans from the Northeast? It's not as they appeared from nowhere or much less got there directly from Europe.

The Midwest isn't less Yankee than the Northeast. After all we descend from the same ancestors. We fought on the same side. We were both collectively the North.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:32 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Being from the south, I voted for the state that seems most opposite the south, partly due to cold weather, and partly due to the attitudes and mindsets of residents there. I.e., how much "non-south" or "anti-south" they area. To me, they and their state represent hardcore northernness. And no, it wasn't based on political beliefs.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Being from the south, I voted for the state that seems most opposite the south, partly due to cold weather, and partly due to the attitudes and mindsets of residents there. I.e., how much "non-south" or "anti-south" they area. To me, they and their state represent hardcore northernness. And no, it wasn't based on political beliefs.
Vermont?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:12 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
No, actually Minnesota. I'm only familiar with Vermont through reading though, so can only fill in the blanks there. I suppose what's "most northern" will vary from person to person based on personal criteria that means the most to him/her.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No, actually Minnesota. I'm only familiar with Vermont through reading though, so can only fill in the blanks there. I suppose what's "most northern" will vary from person to person based on personal criteria that means the most to him/her.
That would have been my second guess. Yeah, culturally I would say Minnesota can lay claim to being one of the most Northern and anti-Southern states simultaneously.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:48 PM

239 posts, read 231,985 times
I chose Massachusetts. It embodies the spirit of the North well. It is very education-focused and part of New England. It has beaches, mountains, and cities, which are very characteristic of the North. It is very liberal, which is also characteristic of the North.

It could be New Jersey, too. It combines the urban north, suburban north, and rural north (it has mountains and farmland). Culturally, it is very Northern, and the politics resemble that.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:55 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yankee culture is New England + Mid-Atlantic? Or just New England?
Definitely not just New England culture if the New York Yankees’ name actually means anything. It’s really supposed to just mean “American” but Southerners changed it to just apply to Northerners. I’m guessing that this happened around the time of the Civil War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.