Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2022, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 1,415 times

Advertisements

Probably anywhere with a hot summer humid continental climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 06:48 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Orlando
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Jacksonville
Houston
El Paso
New Orleans
Jackson MS
Southern Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:18 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Draw a line from Houston up to Memphis across to Charlotte. That's the worst of the worst.

Tier 2 is the desert SW.

Tier 3 is a tie between the KC-DC belt and the miserable PacNW.

Tier 4 is Portland, ME to Buffalo to Chicago to Spokane.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
San Antonio and Austin???
They have similar summer heat indices as Houston but colder winters. The humidity is similar but the temperatures in average run higher. Don't forget the Texas Valley that is hot even in winter.

Not sure why people think the bad weather starts at Houston. This past July, Houston hit 100 only 4 days.
San Antonio hit 100 for 27 days. Austin was over 100 for 29 days. Dallas was over a 100 every day in July except the 1st 2.

On average Phoenix, Las Vegas, Dallas-Fort, San Antonio and Austin have hotter summers than Houston, with the 1st 3 having hotter heat indices and the last 2 having similar heat indices to Houston.

Phoenix by far has the highest feels like Temps so idk how it could be tier 2. Phoenix is in a class by itself as big cities go. Maybe Last Vegas would be in that tier.

You would be hard pressed to find a list of hottest major US cities that don't list Phoenix and Vegas as the top 2. Starting from Houston and going to Memphis excludes cities with the most brutal heat. I would start in McAllen and go up to Sacramento. That way you are not lopping off Amarillo, OKC, Tucson... all of which feel as bad or worse than Memphis.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:11 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Draw a line from Houston up to Memphis across to Charlotte. That's the worst of the worst.

Tier 2 is the desert SW.

IMNSO your line that starts with Houston should also include Austin, San Antonio, DFW, and even OKC. They all suck from May/June 'til September/October.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I just left Colorado and I’d make an argument for Denver. It’s deceptively harsh. Blazing hot sun, dry, thin, dusty, sometimes smoky air, mild but long dull winters with lots of ice that refreezes every night for months on the streets and sidewalks. Not necessarily at fault of the climate, but the brown cloud that sits over the front range. I felt tired there a lot even when I chugged water. I moved back to the Dayton, OH area a few days ago and the weather and lush landscape is so pleasant and refreshing. It’s beautiful here and I can breath deeply again! I’ll never complain about humidity again. Never thought I’d be dissing Colorado while referencing Ohio but that day has come

I've had business cards that say Denver. The typical January day, you're scraping ice off the windshield before going to the office and you're wearing an Oxford shirt and down vest going out to lunch at noon wearing sunglasses. I'm not a big fan of the summers but the winter is very mild compared to where I live in New England.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:20 AM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Quote:

Tier 2 is the desert SW.

I just can't see how anyone could find the PNW worse than anywhere in Tier 4. PNW winters are much warmer and summers cooler and much less humid. The dew point rarely gets above 60. Portland averages more sunshine throughout the year than Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Cleveland.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I just can't see how anyone could find the PNW worse than anywhere in Tier 4. PNW winters are much warmer and summers cooler and much less humid. The dew point rarely gets above 60. Portland averages more sunshine throughout the year than Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Cleveland.
Correct, Pacific Northwest has pleasantly mild temperatures most of the year, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Cleveland have much sloppier weather- far more clouds in the summer and lots of freeze/thaw cycles in the winter. You have to be much further north to have consistent dry powder snow that is much easier to deal with.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:06 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I just can't see how anyone could find the PNW worse than anywhere in Tier 4. PNW winters are much warmer and summers cooler and much less humid. The dew point rarely gets above 60.
lol yeah, people who think Seattle has worse weather than Chicago clearly haven't lived in either city. It's not even close. Chicago has miserably humid summers, extremely short falls and springs, and brutally cold winters (with windchills in the -20F). To top it off, the winters in Chicago are brown, brown and brown and the trees don't flower until May. The grass is literally green in Seattle in the winters and flower bloom in February.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
lol yeah, people who think Seattle has worse weather than Chicago clearly haven't lived in either city. It's not even close. Chicago has miserably humid summers, extremely short falls and springs, and brutally cold winters (with windchills in the -20F). To top it off, the winters in Chicago are brown, brown and brown and the trees don't flower until May. The grass is literally green in Seattle in the winters and flower bloom in February.
Correct, lots of evergreen trees in Chicago, but all are planted for the forced "winter greenery" effect. Seattle is much greener in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.