Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 06:16 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,169,559 times

Advertisements

Wikipedia has articles or profiles of cities across the U.S. and the world. For this thread, we'll stick with U.S. cities. Does the city you currently live in have a Wikipedia profile? If so, does it do your city justice (does Wikipedia do a good job)? If not, explain why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:29 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
Yeah, because I, and several other pro Louisvillians have filled it up with propaganda

It highlights Louisville's colorful history, notable events occuring in the city, and our many bohemian neighborhoods

Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of Louisville's neighborhood pages are also of excellent quality

Old Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,418,118 times
Yes, and we are one of the states that does the in county location map which shows the city limits in the county, I like that. However, I think our profile could use a picture gallery along with the pictures we already have.

Des Moines City:
Des Moines, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Des Moines Metro:
Des Moines metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Yeah, because I, and several other pro Louisvillians have filled it up with propaganda

It highlights Louisville's colorful history, notable events occuring in the city, and our many bohemian neighborhoods

Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many of Louisville's neighborhood pages are also of excellent quality

Old Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, wikipedia city profiles varies from each city. Great job btw!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:32 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,904 times
Really interesting thread!!!!!!!!

This is something i've noticed from time and time over again. People pro-their-city totally manipulate the page to give it proganda. For instance, you'll notice on indianapolis' page, they'll mention over and over again that its' the 3rd largest "city" in the the midwest, and will only use their city population vs. their MSA (which makes it actually seem smaller).

Plus, the same editor of the Indy page, goes into the "Midwest" article and flaunts Indy being the "third largest" city in the midwest, and mentions Indy over and over again throughout the article. I tried changing the order around one time in the mentioning of major cities, and the person changed it back to make indianapolis first. SO FUNNY!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM

936 posts, read 3,191,971 times
no, wikipedia does a poor job describing san diego, california

San Diego, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and i'm too lazy to fix it, so whatever!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,692,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post

Plus, the same editor of the Indy page, goes into the "Midwest" article and flaunts Indy being the "third largest" city in the midwest, and mentions Indy over and over again throughout the article. I tried changing the order around one time in the mentioning of major cities, and the person changed it back to make indianapolis first. SO FUNNY!!!!
Wikipedia deletes your edits and reviews them changes the wording slightly and then puts it back. Indianapolis isnt glorified any more there.

Well Omaha is potrayed very nicely as rising economic power in the mid west
with good schools and companies. I added stuff about new projects going on so its very good

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Wikipedia deletes your edits and reviews them changes the wording slightly and then puts it back. Indianapolis isnt glorified any more there.

Well Omaha is potrayed very nicely as rising economic power in the mid west
with good schools and companies. I added stuff about new projects going on so its very good
Actually its not "wikipedia" that does that, it's the editors that edit the site, who are people like you and me.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
no, wikipedia does a poor job describing san diego, california

San Diego, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and i'm too lazy to fix it, so whatever!
That's funny!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 AM

87 posts, read 290,575 times
Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Wikipedia does a great job IMO

And here's a town southwest of Houston I lived in for a few years

Mission Bend, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.