Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:58 AM

6,088 posts, read 9,124,662 times

Advertisements

I thought this might be an interesting topic. I haven't found a thread similar to this, so I apologize if this has been brought up already.

Which states in the USA would have the most successful transition into becoming their own nation? I am not promoting this by any means, as I am a strong supporter of the "united we stand" concept. I am simply throwing out a hypothetical scenario to be discussed. So, if states started seceding from the union and adopted their own sovereignty (keeping current state borders intact), which states would have the most success and easiest transition into becoming independent nations?

Let's us my home state as an example:

West Virginia would certainly have a difficult time transitioning into a new nation. I believe that it would improve with time. WV depends a lot of the federal government now, but with a detachment from the federal government and its laws WV would likely become an energy state. Coal and natural gas would drive the economy, and WV would be more than able to protect its borders with skilled marksmen and a significant veteran population that would become leaders. The first few years would be rough, but I think things would stabilize. Somethings that would hinder the mountain state is a lack of access to the ocean to trade goods (which in this case would be coal and ng), having a small population, poverty levels, and a current weak economy. WV would probably change its name to something like Kanawha, Greenbrier, Appalachia, etc...

Other states might have an easier time simply because of their current economy and in place infrastructure. Some that come to mind are New York, Texas, California, Alaska, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,232,435 times
New York City could become a separate state. It has nothing in common with the rest of the state. Texas is the big one here, as is Alaska, Hawaii, and California.. Maybe northern Michigan?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:03 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,972,989 times
None. Their economies are based on the US dollar, US trade deals and the US military.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:05 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,451,854 times
Florida, it's a different world!

Old 10-12-2016, 09:12 AM

895 posts, read 1,241,261 times
Texas.. California.. New York.. in sure a handful of others too.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:25 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,082,090 times
First off, any State that has a large port, second off any state that is low on debt, third of any state with substantial population talking 10 million here, finally any state bordering another country or by itself. Exceptions for population are Alaska and Hawaii.
Texas, California, Maine????, Washington meets the requirements. Florida also. New York City could become similar to Singapore but doubt it.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:51 AM

830 posts, read 1,020,917 times
To answer this question you first have to make the jump that any such state would be able to successfully decouple itself from the interconnected reality and benefit of being fully integrated with the U.S. economy and political framework. Things will be easier if that country simply accepts the U.S. dollar and enters into treaty agreements that allow the U.S. gov't to continue to exercise some favorable latitude. NY, CA, FL, et al I think are all out because they rely too much on the commercial connectedness of the USA. They are prosperous, but not truly independent.

You have to look at which states are truly financially independent with comparatively sizable tax bases, natural resources, largely independent legal frameworks and a recent history of deregulation. Check out: https://www.thestreet.com/story/1375...n-america.html

My take: Texas, Hawaii, Delaware, and the Dakotas.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
New York City could become a separate state. It has nothing in common with the rest of the state. Texas is the big one here, as is Alaska, Hawaii, and California.. Maybe northern Michigan?
To be fair, no major city has anything in common with the rest of their state and any could become city-states.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,710,440 times
If Minnesota combined with North Dakota it could be fairly self-sufficient. ND brings oil/gas and there's plenty of farmland, water, a port (Duluth) and a large city with very strong economy (Twin Cities).

Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM

6,088 posts, read 9,124,662 times
I think that any state would need a good balance in economics, energy, population, resources, global access, etc... in order to succeed. Landlocked states might struggle, just as the landlocked nations do in real life. A place like WV or South Dakota would struggle because of the lack of a diversified economy, no port access, not existing large cities, and no incentive in attracting trade partners and new business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.