Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 PM

9 posts, read 9,621 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Oregon my entire life, and I'm definitely looking to branch out. Oregon's not the worst, but I do have a few complaints beyond the monotony of spending the last 24 years here...

1. I hate the rain.
2. Housing is pretty expensive, even just to rent.
3. I'm not jazzed about marijuana legalization. No judgement if you are, but I'm not.
4. The bigger cities are all in the Willamette Valley (consequently, tons of rain,) and everywhere else is basically Idaho.

There are definitely some things I like about Oregon. I love the availability of unique foods and dietary options, I love the hiking, I love nature and lush, green landscapes, I love the coffee, and generally-speaking, I'm pretty liberal (environmentalist, LGBTQ ally, feminist, etc.) I'm just really looking for a change of scenery with less rain, less pot, and less of my paycheck going directly to rent.

I know, I know. I'm looking for a Shangri-La that doesn't exist in the real world. But I thought maybe there's somewhere out there that could check at least a few items off on my list.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:27 PM

345 posts, read 530,932 times
what other region piques your interests? Go to a different area in the west? Go down South? Midwest? Go up to the Northeast?

Old 10-13-2016, 10:45 PM

473 posts, read 521,260 times
Rain and lush green sort of go hand in hand.

How do you feel about snow? Burlington, Vermont is the New England version of Portland. However, it's cold and probably has less even less diversity (which could trickle over to the food scene.) Pittsburgh is also supposed to be a cool city, but again, cold.

In the South, you can look at Asheville and Nashville. Both are close to hiking and have lots of young people with liberal views, a growing culinary scene and lush greenery. But it does rain and, well, you're in the South.

Salt Lake City might be another option, but not sure how liberal it would feel to someone from the PNW.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:45 PM

funtraveler1, I'm not really sure. The South is too hot and humid, I haven't heard many good things about the Midwest (though that could easily be misinformation,) and I've never been to the Northeast, but I know the cost of living can get pretty spendy up there. My travels have been quite limited thus far, so I'm pretty open-minded. I just want a moderate climate (little-to-no rain, good amount of sun, maybe some snow,) and a moderate overall culture (slightly more conservative than Portlandia, but definitely not Bible-belt status.)

Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 PM

Snow doesn't bother me at all. I much prefer it over rain. My only hesitation with Utah is the lack of coffee. I'm a true PNW girl in my belief that easy access to caffeine is a basic human need ;P

Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
This is the second day in probably four months when I've needed to put on my baseball hat on the walk to work due to rain. And a "storm" is an absolute novelty. We have it pretty good.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:06 PM

mhays25, it's also mid-October and we've had consistently late summers for the last few years, so I'm not gonna count my chickens before they hatch when it comes to light-to-moderate rainfall this year.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:16 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlieJMiller View Post
I've lived in Oregon my entire life, and I'm definitely looking to branch out. Oregon's not the worst, but I do have a few complaints beyond the monotony of spending the last 24 years here...

1. I hate the rain.
2. Housing is pretty expensive, even just to rent.
3. I'm not jazzed about marijuana legalization. No judgement if you are, but I'm not.
4. The bigger cities are all in the Willamette Valley (consequently, tons of rain,) and everywhere else is basically Idaho.

There are definitely some things I like about Oregon. I love the availability of unique foods and dietary options, I love the hiking, I love nature and lush, green landscapes, I love the coffee, and generally-speaking, I'm pretty liberal (environmentalist, LGBTQ ally, feminist, etc.) I'm just really looking for a change of scenery with less rain, less pot, and less of my paycheck going directly to rent.

I know, I know. I'm looking for a Shangri-La that doesn't exist in the real world. But I thought maybe there's somewhere out there that could check at least a few items off on my list.

Thanks!
What's wrong with Idaho? I've never been but I hear Boise is a pretty cool town. Also have you considered eastern WA, it's a lot more populated than eastern OR. Maybe you should consider Denver.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:21 PM

grega94, I've never been to Idaho, so I suppose I shouldn't judge. It's just not a place of particular interest to me. I have some relatives who are from there, and from what they say, there doesn't seem to be a lot going on in Idaho, especially outside of Boise. I've never considered eastern Washington though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:57 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlieJMiller View Post
funtraveler1, I'm not really sure. The South is too hot and humid, I haven't heard many good things about the Midwest (though that could easily be misinformation,) and I've never been to the Northeast, but I know the cost of living can get pretty spendy up there. My travels have been quite limited thus far, so I'm pretty open-minded. I just want a moderate climate (little-to-no rain, good amount of sun, maybe some snow,) and a moderate overall culture (slightly more conservative than Portlandia, but definitely not Bible-belt status.)
Idaho or Northern Nevada seems to suite your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.