Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:38 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah. The cities that you expect to see in the top of the list are exactly where you thought they would be and the same on the other end of the list.
Precisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 02:19 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Neither one of those cities should be mentioned. One of Nashville's nicknames is the Protestant Vatican, and Chattanooga is the most "Bible-minded" city in the country.
I would think both of those cities are full of Christians.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
To some extent, I bet Nashville and Chattanooga would have some non-religious people as well
Of course you will find non religious people in these cities, as you would in any US city their size.

Nashville used to be known for its bible publishing. But in the last few decades Heath care, Music, Tech, Auto mfg, so many new jobs that the publishing is a minor player now.

Perhaps someone sees Chattanooga as progressive in ecological,business & development matters and assumes it is not religious. How can someplace that is fun be religious? that goes against secular stereotypes. My experience is there are a lot of deeply religious people in Chattanooga. Church of god HQ is in Cleveland, Seventh day Adventist in Collegedale.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Of course you will find non religious people in these cities, as you would in any US city their size.

Nashville used to be known for its bible publishing. But in the last few decades Heath care, Music, Tech, Auto mfg, so many new jobs that the publishing is a minor player now.

Perhaps someone sees Chattanooga as progressive in ecological,business & development matters and assumes it is not religious. How can someplace that is fun be religious? that goes against secular stereotypes. My experience is there are a lot of deeply religious people in Chattanooga. Church of god HQ is in Cleveland, Seventh day Adventist in Collegedale.
Seriously????

Old 05-31-2017, 07:50 AM

530 posts, read 637,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say it's still a pretty good gauge.

It is a nice source of information, but certain things did make me roll my eyes. When you see Fayetteville grouped together with Chapel Hill for instance it makes you scratch your head. Would be interesting to see how their study would do without that entire region of NC being grouped together.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
It is a nice source of information, but certain things did make me roll my eyes. When you see Fayetteville grouped together with Chapel Hill for instance it makes you scratch your head. Would be interesting to see how their study would do without that entire region of NC being grouped together.
I can see that. For Texas, they have Waco/Temple/Killeen as less bible minded than DFW. I know DFW has many churches but I find that hard to believe it's more bible minded than Central Texas.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I've lived in Texas for 25 years, in a mid sized metro area about an hour or so east of Dallas. I honestly don't "get" this worry about whether or not there are a lot of Christians in an area. Yes, I do go to church, and like most people around here, if you and I are coworkers or casual acquaintances, you may eventually hear me say something about going to church - as in, "Yeah, saw my mom yesterday in church" or "We're going to the lake after church Sunday," but if those sorts of statements bother someone, I'd say they were a bit too sensitive.

I used to work with a Muslim girl, and she was very religious - she observed Ramadan and other holy days and was very devout and active within our local Muslim community, as was her husband. She was in fact, much more "obvious" in the practice of her religion than most other people I worked with. I didn't feel threatened by her either. I've also worked with Jewish people who were very involved in the local faith community, as well as a Bahai guy and several Unitarians. So what? Oh, and our City Manager is an outspoken atheist who doesn't hide his views, especially if someone spouts off "God bless you" or something like that at him. Doesn't bother me a bit, and apparently it doesn't bother a lot of other people in our diverse community - which by the way, includes a LOT of churches.

But to each his own. I guess I wouldn't want to live anywhere where my faith was regularly criticized or made fun of.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived in Texas for 25 years, in a mid sized metro area about an hour or so east of Dallas. I honestly don't "get" this worry about whether or not there are a lot of Christians in an area. Yes, I do go to church, and like most people around here, if you and I are coworkers or casual acquaintances, you may eventually hear me say something about going to church - as in, "Yeah, saw my mom yesterday in church" or "We're going to the lake after church Sunday," but if those sorts of statements bother someone, I'd say they were a bit too sensitive.

I used to work with a Muslim girl, and she was very religious - she observed Ramadan and other holy days and was very devout and active within our local Muslim community, as was her husband. She was in fact, much more "obvious" in the practice of her religion than most other people I worked with. I didn't feel threatened by her either. I've also worked with Jewish people who were very involved in the local faith community, as well as a Bahai guy and several Unitarians. So what? Oh, and our City Manager is an outspoken atheist who doesn't hide his views, especially if someone spouts off "God bless you" or something like that at him. Doesn't bother me a bit, and apparently it doesn't bother a lot of other people in our diverse community - which by the way, includes a LOT of churches.

But to each his own. I guess I wouldn't want to live anywhere where my faith was regularly criticized or made fun of.
You are more or so in an ideal situation and I'm not saying this doesn't exist. I agree people should practice whatever religion they want freely. The problem for me is when there is a majority that is very devout and they are influencing local politics/policies etc.. purely based on their beliefs, eventually having an impact on my daily life. Separation of church and state is hard to come by in very religious areas.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:47 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Austin and Raleigh

Old 02-16-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Austin and Raleigh
I know enough about Raleigh to know that it may not be as "churchy" compared to other Southern cities, but it most certainly isn't heavily atheist either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.