Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:18 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
Austin TX here. I wouldn't say I'm detached from reality. Being with the west coast is nice tho.
You're obviously detached from reality if you think Austin is "West Coast".

Back on topic, I've lived in both the SF Bay Area and rust belt Ohio for roughly equal amounts of time. I'd say both can be equally out of touch. People who have lived in one are their entire lives without much movement or worse, never travelling more than 1000 miles in any direction, are probably the most out-of-touch with the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:56 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
Austin TX here. I wouldn't say I'm detached from reality. Being with the west coast is nice tho.
If you were to leave Austin, you would be 300 miles closer to Jacksonville than you would to San Diego.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:47 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,798 times
Austin is a touch west coast but more east coast. South coast too. Doubly detached!

Old 10-30-2016, 07:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
^ LOL. Keep Austin Weird.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:14 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,798 times
Austin is also mid-coast (Mississippi). Austin is by far the coastiest and therefore detachiest city in the country. Go Austin.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:07 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I can say that the DC area feels like a bubble that is detached from the rest of the country. It is a strange paradox considering how involved DC is with the rest of the nation in reality.

However, I suppose any large metro area feels the same way to the residents living there.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:10 PM

15 posts, read 26,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I don't consider your area to be coastal...do you? Just wondering, because based on your comments, you seem to include yourself as a "coastal" resident?
While firebird may not be coastal, I am an apartment dweller in San Diego and go to Costco. There are multiple Costcos here, and the one right by me is *always* super busy. There are plenty of people in coastal cities who shop at Costco.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM

39 posts, read 46,877 times
We gotta include the southern coastal cities as well, albeit gulf coast. Does it count? Although the cities in many of these states are next to a large body of water somehow they don't compare to east or west coasts.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
SO, this is really kind of funny. I've never owned a pick-up truck, feel extremely lucky to have a beautiful yard to mow, and I'm pretty sure people on the coasts shop at Costco, as well. Either that, or all the many, many located on the coasts, will be going out of business, soon. Too bad you feel it necessary to stoop to stereotyping to try to make your point. You might find it interesting, that after Texas, California sells the most pick-up trucks, and that's the reality. California is the number one agricultural state, so it makes sense. BTW, don't you mow your yards on the coasts?
I do have a pickup truck, plus two other cars, and a riding mower. Not only do I shop at Costco, but the one next to their corporate headquarters. I'm on the west coast, in fact I work on the waterfront in Seattle. The high cost of living, rent and home prices don't seem to be an issue, since people are still flocking here. In our city of 60,000 the median family income is now $152k, in Seattle it's just over $80k, and homes are selling like hot cakes even at $1.2 million. Why not live where you like if you can afford it?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souschef View Post
We gotta include the southern coastal cities as well, albeit gulf coast. Does it count? Although the cities in many of these states are next to a large body of water somehow they don't compare to east or west coasts.
No, the gulf coast does not count. Houston and Tampa are the only major metros with New Orleans pulling the number 3 spot if you stretch.

The east and west coasts are centers of progress and wealth. The gulf coast is mainly rural and based around agriculture and fishing, Houston may be the 4th biggest city in the country, but like number 5 Phoenix, it is second tier when it comes to per capita income, GDP, and culture.

1st tier is Seattle, SF Bay Area and LA on the west coast, and Boston, NYC and DC on the east coast, or as I call them, the "Big 6".

Miami might edge into that 1st tier in 10-15 years, but other than that, no where else comes close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.