Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Naples, FL, where they simply screen out lower income neighborhoods with attractive landscaping.

Behind the Challenges of Being Black in Naples - Gulfshore Life - January 2013 - Naples, FL
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 03:35 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin123 View Post
Seattle has no ghettos. Seem goes for Portland. Probably cleanest major cities in this country.
Salt Lake City was probably the cleanest major city I've seen. Denver was also pretty clean but the area acutally looks mostly rather well-kept and middle class.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:20 PM

55 posts, read 51,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Seattle has no ghetto. The worst neighborhood is probably the Rainier Valley, which is gentrifying quite rapidly. There are low-income housing projects there, but they are laughably lux compared to the hoods in places like Baltimore or Philadelphia.
Seattle does have an area called Belltown with scruffy looking people hanging around.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:24 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Lot of big cities that have few ghetto's like Denver, Seattle, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Antonio but I am used to Midwest and Southern cities that are so bad like Memphis, Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta that not many of the Western and Eastern cities that have ghetto's do not look bad in comparison.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 PM

55 posts, read 51,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Naples, FL, where they simply screen out lower income neighborhoods with attractive landscaping.

Behind the Challenges of Being Black in Naples - Gulfshore Life - January 2013 - Naples, FL

FROM THE ABOVE ARTICLE

I agree, I am from Costa Rica but know this is true

I really agree with this point !!!!!!!!!!!

It is about how you think of yourself and carry yourself as well as a Black Person

California Pizza Kitchen General Manager Steven Tevis thinks that level of professionalism makes Naples different in terms of its attitude toward blacks. There’s no inner-city neighborhood in Naples—the subsidized housing units in River Park bear no relation to urban projects —and little headline-generating crime to give blacks a bad rap, Tevis believes. So when he walks into a shop or restaurant on Fifth Avenue South, proprietors greet him with respect and the expectation that he’s there to spend money. “People welcome you in,” he says. So why is Tevis’ experience so different than that of some black native Neapolitans? Many of them have come here, remember, to step up in careers launched in other cities. And they’ve lived in other, tougher environments and appreciate the relative paradise that is Southwest Florida.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:43 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
San Diego, El Paso, and Denver. All 3 have significant dumpy looking areas but are among the safest big cities in the country with nothing close to resembling a real ghetto.
I agree in many respects but Denver has a much, much higher violent crime rate then San Diego and I believe it is also much more violent then El Paso.

Many people move to Denver from out of state and the neighborhood looks really nice so they buy a house there only to discover that the neighborhood has extremely high crime rates.

I have not that spent much time in San Diego but been there many times and it seems like the areas look rougher then they are based on the ultra-low city violent crime rate. Denver on the other hand has less gritty looking areas then San Diego in my opinion, but many move to Denver and rent or buy a home and are surprised by how rough the neighborhood really is.

Rough neighborhoods though by Denver or San Diego don't look anything remotely like rough areas in some other cities though. Neither city has any thing remotely close to the abandonment or grit of other some cities across the country.

Denver and San Diego are fairly similar in that regard. Lots of nice areas but also more marginal looking areas then one would expect, but both cities marginal areas are still expensive.

Denver though has about twice the violent crime of San Diego and usually two or three times the homicide rate of San Diego.

I believe El Paso, Texas also has far lower violent crime and homicide rates then Denver.

Denver homicide and violent crime rate is usually very, very similar to Los Angeles, Phoenix and Tucson.

Denver is not in the league as far as San Diego, El Paso, Portland or Seattle's low violent crime rates. Of course, Denver as a whole has only a fraction of the issues of certain cities in other parts of the country but it is certainly not in the same league on safety as San Diego when it comes to a low violent crime rate.

If memory serves me right usually San Diego and El Paso, TX have around 3 homicides per 100,000 residents and Denver is around 8 homicides per 100,000 residents.

It does seem like unlike other cities, Denver has seen increasing violent crime and homicide rates with it's gentrification and rapidly rising real estate prices.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 05-15-2017 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 09:10 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Naples is kind of a unique case. At 12 square miles and 20,000 people it's really only a city in the technical sense. However, it of course is a huge tourist/snowbird destination and the center of a rapidly growing county in which a lot of people live in unincorporated areas.

In Collier County Golden Gate, parts of East Naples and Immokalee aren't exactly places most people would want to live or feel safe but are child's play compared to what goes on Fort Myers or the Miami area.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I think Huntington, West Virginia probably fits this. There is no true ghetto like Baltimore or Detroit but most of it is kinda run down though there are some very good neighborhoods. Huntington physically looks less pleasant than Charleston even though it has some very nice suburban areas, for example Teays Valley and Barboursville are part of the Huntington metro area. By WV standards Huntington is very crime-ridden but its safe compared to national standards.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:06 AM

3,161 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Orlando seems to have very economically mixed areas just about everywhere, other than the newer suburban neighborhoods. There doesn't seem to be a critical mass of severely blighted communities anywhere, although there are plenty of lower income parts - possibly a side effect of the area being more transient and integrated than most of the country. From my understanding there is statistically a high crime rate, but few areas are visibly that bad.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 AM

149 posts, read 153,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Seattle has no ghetto. The worst neighborhood is probably the Rainier Valley, which is gentrifying quite rapidly. There are low-income housing projects there, but they are laughably lux compared to the hoods in places like Baltimore or Philadelphia.

You're comparing Seattle, an isolated post-war settlement, to some of the oldest cities in America, literally 200 years older, that are also 3x Seattle's size (Philadelphia).

I'd take Philadelphia, 10/10 times and Seattle is one of my favorite cities (for different reasons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.