Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:55 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
There's this little part of Washington state called Point Roberts that's only accessable through Canada. It might as well just be part of Canada.

I've been to Washington, but not Point Roberts though. I've just heard about it before. This thread just made me think about it. I'm assuming it might be a contender for this.
It seems like their existence is fully dependent on Vancouverans seeking cheaper gas and other supplies, so if not culturally they are definitely connected financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 06:17 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
The question is: "Which part of the U.S had the most ties or cultural influence from Canada?" "Had", past tense, meaning it used to have the "most ties or cultural influence from Canada" but doesn't any longer. I would say New Orleans. [Edit: well, actually, New Orleans and its environs]

Last edited by James1202; 12-10-2016 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: as stated in post

Old 12-10-2016, 06:56 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
There's this little part of Washington state called Point Roberts that's only accessable through Canada. It might as well just be part of Canada.

I've been to Washington, but not Point Roberts though. I've just heard about it before. This thread just made me think about it. I'm assuming it might be a contender for this.
Northwest Angle in Minnesota...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Angle
Attached Thumbnails
Which part of the U.S had the most ties or cultural influence from Canada?-img_0578.png  

Old 12-10-2016, 01:27 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Northwest Angle in Minnesota...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Angle
I don't think the point is "This villiage of 343 is pretty similar to Canada", but more like the whole region shares a culture with Canada.
New England is very similar to the Maritimes and Quebec.
Western NY is fairly similar to Southern Ontario, moreso than Michigan is.
Buffalo and Hamilton are very similar.
Montreal and Boston sort of "Share" the White Mountains of the Lakes of NH/ME as summer colonies. For the most part, New England north of the Mass Pike or so is more connected to Montreal or Nova Scotia than it is to NYC or south and west.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:13 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
I could look out of my grandparents kitchen window in Eastport Maine and see Campobello Island, my great grandparents were illegal aliens from St. Stephen N.B.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times
Buffalo

Old 12-11-2016, 01:41 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Northern Maine for sure.

Northern Minnesota too.

My Dad's family is from there and have relatives on both sides of the border,
in SE Manitoba and adjacent Ontario in Lake of the Woods area.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:15 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Minnesota, Michigan....... hockey check, funny accent check, cold weather check, Tim hortons check, more liberal outlook check, polite reserved nature check, heck they could be provinces. Most of em watch so much hockey they can sing the Canadian national them.

Upper New York has some of these same qualities too from what I have been told, just maybe without the midwestern reservedness.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:00 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
I divided the states that border Canada into different tiers. Each tier is not necessarily in order, I am kind of divided on my choices.

Tier I
1. Washington State (large population near each other)
2. New York State (large populations near each other, popular tourist destination for Canadians)
3. Michigan (large populations near each other)
4. Maine (small populations near each, tourist destination for Canadians)

Tier II
Minnesota
Vermont (tourist destination for Canadians)
North Dakota
Alaska

Tier III
New Hampshire (tourist destination for Canadians)
Montana

Tier IV
Idaho (very small unpopulated border)

Old 12-11-2016, 09:20 AM

605 posts, read 669,242 times
Maine and Vermont are probably the only two US states that are heavily influenced from Canada due to the fact that in the past thousands of French Canadians have migrated to those states. There are even parts of Maine that still primarily speak French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.