Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:15 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'd consider pretty much any city over 1 million in MSA population to be a major city. Especially cities that were historically larger like New Orleans, Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond, etc.
I would say Independent cities of over 1,000,000, For Example Providence, RI I would consider less major than Buffalo despite being 50% bigger. Buffalo is considered "the city" in a region of 2,000,000+ and exerts an influence over Rochester, Elmira, Erie etc. while Attleboro, MA doesn't feel like a Providence suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 09:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would say Independent cities of over 1,000,000, For Example Providence, RI I would consider less major than Buffalo despite being 50% bigger. Buffalo is considered "the city" in a region of 2,000,000+ and exerts an influence over Rochester, Elmira, Erie etc. while Attleboro, MA doesn't feel like a Providence suburb.
I can agree with that.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Here, we'll pour some fire on this thread.

Major-ness based on what counts for residential presence of national-level elites, meaning the people you read about being in charge of things in the media, other than in the sports pages.

Smallest major: Boston.

Largest non-major: Phoenix.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:05 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Here, we'll pour some fire on this thread.

Major-ness based on what counts for residential presence of national-level elites, meaning the people you read about being in charge of things in the media, other than in the sports pages.

Smallest major: Boston.

Largest non-major: Phoenix.
Nah. By this logic (which I don't subscribe to), wouldn't Omaha be the smallest major?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:12 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Nah. By this logic (which I don't subscribe to), wouldn't Omaha be the smallest major?
No, I said people (plural).

Old 12-20-2016, 08:45 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
I'd approach this in two tiers. BIG Cities, or Alphas, and Mid Size Cities, or what a majority of Americans would consider going to the "Big City" (museums, pro sports, etc.). Smallest city that seems to exhibit "Alpha" (not good or bad, but Alpha), characteristics to me would be Seattle. Largest city that doesn't would be Detroit. That's not a knock on Detroit as I might prefer living in it to Seattle. But something about the metro just feels calmer/not as fast paced by a significant margin than cities above it. I'd say the same way about Minneapolis (that it feels more midsize), but of course, that metros population is smaller than Detroit's. As per largest metro that doesn't feel midsized, I'd say it'd have to be Inland Empire, but that's too easy and it almost feels like an extension of sub/ex urban LA, so largest actual one like that might perhaps be Hampton Roads area? and Smallest one that exhibits characteristics and acts/feels like a midsize city (ones above it) would be IMO, Buffalo.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Smallest major city/metro: Midland - Odessa, TX

Biggest Non-Major city/metro: Bend, OR

Old 10-23-2017, 03:40 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
I'd say forget stats for a question like this. Anybody can look up numbers and draw a line. Seems this is an opinion question based on perception.

I'd say the largest major city I consider "small" is Indianapolis. I know its population is up there and it has tons of sports, etc, but it feels pretty small for a major city.

The non-major city that feels the biggest to me is Louisville. When you take I-65 south and cross the Ohio, there appears to be a major skyline along it that feels like a pretty massive city. Also, driving into Louisville feels like you are hitting a big place. I was shocked to see it had only 253,000 people in the city proper and 1.2M in the metro.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 PM

486 posts, read 601,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
As a resident of Erie, PA, I can honestly say no one in the Erie area, looks to Buffalo as "the city". Buffalo may be less than two hours away but I think everyone in Erie County (PA) can agree that it is it's own region. We may be at the center of the Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh triangle but we are our own city.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think there is a category missing with medium

just my two cents
Yes, this category makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.