Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 12:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
MSA is fine for this discussion.

I don't think of Riverside/San Bernardino, or Norfolk/Va Beach as major metros, regardless of size. On the other hand, I think of Memphis and New Orleans as major cities.
In reality rather than by "MSA", Riverside and San Bernardino are suburbs of Los Angeles, I don't for the life of me know why the US Census considers them seperate metro's, I go to SoCal 3 times a week for work, so I should know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 01:33 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I would say that OKC, Louisville, and Birmingham are all major cities.
I agree, though coming from bawac I'm not surprised (in regards to OKC).

Old 12-14-2016, 03:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
I think there is a category missing with medium

for me today there are about 11 or so majors - probably still include Detroit so maybe 12 as major

the mediums are places like Seattle (could move up soon), Minneapolis, Cleveland, NOLAs, Baltimore, St Louis (a few of these were probably once major now down) etc.

Then the minors like growing places not yet all there like a Cbus and Austin and Nashville or others minor and steady like a Providence RI etc.

just my two cents

Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think there is a category missing with medium

for me today there are about 11 or so majors - probably still include Detroit so maybe 12 as major

the mediums are places like Seattle (could move up soon), Minneapolis, Cleveland, NOLAs, Baltimore, St Louis (a few of these were probably once major now down) etc.

Then the minors like growing places not yet all there like a Cbus and Austin and Nashville or others minor and steady like a Providence RI etc.

just my two cents
I don't consider Columbus a major city but our metro is about neck and neck with Cleveland's and is on track to pass it. I feel like we deserve to be in the "middle" category as a metro of over 2 million people. But hey it just goes to show you how subjective and personal this all is

Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I don't consider Columbus a major city but our metro is about neck and neck with Cleveland's and is on track to pass it. I feel like we deserve to be in the "middle" category as a metro of over 2 million people. But hey it just goes to show you how subjective and personal this all is
Maybe because it doesn't feel like a major city. Its the kind of city that shuts down every Saturday in Fall for College Football. That sort of college town atmosphere makes Columbus feel small time, even compared to similar sized cities like Pittsburgh or Indianapolis.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Smallest city I consider major is Portland. Largest city I don't consider major is Jacksonville.
Am I not understanding? Aren't there a bunch of cities between them in size? That is: smaller than your smallest major and bigger than you biggest non-major.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:40 AM

I only consider the following to be major US cities:

New York, LA, Chicago, Miami, Philly, Dallas, Houston, Washington, Atlanta, Boston.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:20 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
I only consider the following to be major US cities:

New York, LA, Chicago, Miami, Philly, Dallas, Houston, Washington, Atlanta, Boston.
Did you just decide that only the top-10 MSA's could be considered "major". I think it's ridiculous that anyone wouldn't consider San Francisco a major city.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Did you just decide that only the top-10 MSA's could be considered "major". I think it's ridiculous that anyone wouldn't consider San Francisco a major city.
1. No. I have no idea what the MSAs of those cities are.
2. Ok. But, I don't. It's really just semantics. I consider San Fransisco to be a "big city", and a really exceptional place, but I don't consider it to be a major American city. There are a few other cities of SFs relative size and import that I don't consider "major", either. It's not a value judgement (in fact, I like SF a lot more than most of the cities I consider major, LA being the notable exception) or an impugnment of SF, it's just how I conceptualize what the word "major" means in this context. I wouldn't find it "ridiculous" if someone said they only consider NY, LA and Chicago to be "major cities", or even if someone said they only consider NY to be major. Nor would it strike me as outside the realm of possibility that someone might consider everything bigger than Indianapolis or St Louis or Minneapolis or Seattle or whatever to be "major". It's a pretty arbitrary line.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:58 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Maybe because it doesn't feel like a major city. Its the kind of city that shuts down every Saturday in Fall for College Football. That sort of college town atmosphere makes Columbus feel small time, even compared to similar sized cities like Pittsburgh or Indianapolis.
I never claimed Columbus is a major city, I just said it deserves to be in the medium city category since it's a metro of over 2 million people.

No the city doesn't shut down on football Saturdays, what does that even mean? Do you have any actual evidence to back that claim that "the city shuts down" apart from a lot more traffic around OSU? but yes it is a major community event you will find a ton of people of all ages tailgating or at bars specifically in the University District and Short North. Personally I find an excuse to day drink fun but to each is own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.