Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 08:40 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Which museum ships have you visited? Which were your favorites? Are there any that you so wanted to see that you made a special trip, that you otherwise wouldn't have made, to its location?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._United_States

I'm a World War II buff, so I've visited 16 of them: the aircraft carriers Hornet (Alameda, CA), Midway (San Diego, CA), and Yorktown (Charleston, SC); the battleships Missouri (Honolulu, HI), New Jersey (Camden, NJ), North Carolina (Wilmington, NC), and Wisconsin (Norfolk, VA); the cruiser Olympia (Philadelphia, PA); the destroyer Laffey (Charleston, SC); the submarines Becuna (Philadelphia, PA), Bowfin (Honolulu, HI), Clamagore (Charleston, SC), and Torsk (Baltimore, MD); the Coast Guard cutter Taney (Baltimore, MD); and the lightship Chesapeake (Baltimore, MD). And finally, I also have visited the passenger steamer Keewatin when she was based in Michigan; she's not on the linked list because she has been moved to Canada.

My favorites are the Midway and the North Carolina, due in large part to the fact that both of them make so much of themselves available to be seen by visitors. Though usually my visits to these ships come as part of a larger visit to their host cities, I did make special trips just to see the New Jersey and the North Carolina, as well as the ships in Charleston, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 09:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Patriots Point in Charleston. Went when I was kid, didnt think itd be that interesting. Had a blast.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Have visited the submarines U-505 (German) Chicago; US SSN-579 Swordfish, San Francisco; B-427 Scorpion (Russian), Long Beach, CA; US-555 Dolphin, San Diego; Bowfin SS-287, Honolulu

U-505 from 1941 Germany definitely the best. The woodwork and craftsmanship inside was a knockout.

Aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln, Long Beach; freighter Valley Camp, Sault Ste.Marie, MI; WWII Victory Ship, Victory Lane, San Pedro, CA; also the Missouri and the Midway

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 12-23-2016 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 10:25 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Oldest commissioned naval vessel in the world - The USS Constitution (nicknamed Old Ironsides) which is berthed at the Navy Yard in Charlestown, MA. It was launched in 1797.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution

I have also been on the Battleship Massachusetts and the submarine USS Nautilus.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Oldest commissioned naval vessel in the world - The USS Constitution (nicknamed Old Ironsides) which is berthed at the Navy Yard in Charlestown, MA. It was launched in 1797.
And for the World War II-loving OP, the USS Cassin Young, a destroyer launched during World War II and also in service during the Korean War, is berthed right next to the Constitution. I went because the Constitution had a long line, while you could walk right onto the Cassin Young.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
uss constellation...for a year and-a-half

Old 12-24-2016, 12:19 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
And for the World War II-loving OP, the USS Cassin Young, a destroyer launched during World War II and also in service during the Korean War, is berthed right next to the Constitution. I went because the Constitution had a long line, while you could walk right onto the Cassin Young.
OK, now I need to pay a visit to Boston!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
uss constellation...for a year and-a-half
Not sure which Constellation you're referring to, but I've been on the sailing ship by that name. How did I forget to mention that one in my original post?

Old 12-25-2016, 10:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
The Charles Morgan, a whaler from the early 19th century located in Mystic, Connecticut, is my favorite museum ship in the U.S.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:45 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
my boy scout troop stayed on the aircraft carrier in Charleston over the weekend at least twice. they let us run wild all over the ship.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:36 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
One of the very coolest shipping museums in America is the Steamship Bertrand, which sank in the Missouri River in 1865. It was carrying a cargo of goods out to the goldfields of Montana. Because the ship sank in mud, the cargo it carried was preserved. The wreck was excavated in the late 1960s, so you can now go to the DeSoto Wildlife Refuge (just northeast of Omaha) and see all of the cool things that were in the cargo. This ranges from lots of canned goods (peaches, salt pork) to trousers and hats for the miners, to silverware and lanterns. It's SO cool! I go visit whenever I can and just sit and stare at all the stuff. https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Desoto/wi..._bertrand.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbMPUfBWzrY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.