Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:55 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,604 times

Advertisements

Mines was Columbus, Ohio. Went out there for a week for a conference and fell in love with the place. Great atmosphere and beautiful city. I practically found something to do almost every night downtown. The nightlife was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 07:34 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Charleston, IL
I was expecting to be a compact, hipster-looking college town with a laid-back "come as you are" vibe. Comparable to a miniaturized Madison, WI. Instead, I found myself in an intimidating, forlorn, tired-looking place. Full of trashy liquor stores, fast food chains, abandoned rail lines, boarded-up windows, parking lots, and cliquey dive bars. Not friendly at all. Like something straight out of the movie "Straw Dogs" (2011 ver.) or an isolated Fundie colony.
I've never even heard of that town, it's got around 20,000 people and is in the middle of nowhere central Illinois. Why would you think it was like Madison??

Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
My hometown: NYC. It's mostly small working class neighborhoods made up of regular people trying to survive in a place that gets more expensive every minute.
I agree. I don't know if NYC has the biggest stereotypes about it, but ALOT of people (including some here on CD who should know better) think that NYC = Midtown Manhattan.

Of all the threads that were off base about NYC, I would say the one that NYC has no wildlife was by far the biggest.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 PM

122 posts, read 167,745 times
Default Boston chaotic?

What does chaotic even mean? That there were people walking around? That's what makes for an interesting city. Empty streets do not. Have you ever been to New York? Comparatively Boston is quite ordered. Other than in the winter/early spring, Boston is not a dirty city.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:54 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Mine would probably be Amsterdam. A lot of people describe it as a utopian society where legalization has solved many problems. My experience was a lot of thugs openly peddling cocaine, ecstasy and other hard drugs literally every thirty feet. Tons of homeless people. Very much seems like a live and let live city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Mines was Columbus, Ohio. Went out there for a week for a conference and fell in love with the place. Great atmosphere and beautiful city. I practically found something to do almost every night downtown. The nightlife was great.
I think one benefit of being off a lot of people's radar is that our city tends to exceed people's expectations when they actually spend some time here. Glad you enjoyed yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.