Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:30 PM

9,972 posts, read 5,669,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I think the problem here is the thought that it can take up to an hour. Yes, that would be annoying, but it can happen anywhere because of accidents or events. The worst thing is the typical jam that is bad almost daily. You can get an idea of it using google maps with the traffic filter, switch from live traffic to typical and you can filter for a day or week and time. I've never been to Wisconsin, so i can't say from experience, but from the google info the typcial traffic doesn't look all that unusual at rush hour.
I'm sure it could happen "anywhere because of accidents or events." In Madison it happens every workday because of geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Portland, Oregon is very congested. The previous mayor was a big fan of trimming road size in the hopes that commuters would decide to shop in Portland during their longer drive to the suburbs.
I can't believe it took 29 posts to get to Portland.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
Hampton frickin Roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
Norfolk is pretty bad. Especially when trying to cross the bay towards Williamsburg.

Hartford is also surprisingly bad. A lot of highways converge on downtown which has a very dense employment concentration for the size of the metro.
Definitely Hampton Roads (particularly Norfolk). The region suffers from a similar effect to the SF Bay Area in that you have a big population separated by a lot of water with only a few connecting points. The result is a lot of bottlenecks, and heavy traffic.

Hartford is bad at times. But for me, Providence is the second worst city in New England for traffic. I lived in Providence for a while and it's still one of my least favorite North American cities to drive in- especially on surface roads- due to the traffic. I'm more comfortable in Boston, New York, Washington, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, or any other major city (aside from Maybe LA- that's my least favorite for driving) than I am in Providence. It's such a small city and it's not home to a particularly booming economy, but that stretch of 95 through downtown with three major highway interchanges (195, 146, and 6/10) is always a mess. The highways connecting to that stretch are always a mess. The surface roads in/out of the city center are a pain during daylight hours. For its size, Providence gets my vote for the worst. Norfolk/Hampton Roads is up there too.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
The title is pretty self-explanatory. Everyone knows cities like LA or Atlanta have terrible traffic. What are some cities with bad traffic and congestion issues that don't really get talked about?
For a relatively small area Santa Cruz county is now a nightmare re; traffic as we become more and more of a bedroom community of Silicon Valley.
Heavy traffic on major roads (hwy 1 and 17) now begins by 2:30 p.m. and by 7 a.m. (and even earlier) it starts to get gnarly. And side streets all over the county are now heavily traveled by people trying to avoid 1 and 17. They're just commuting through neighborhoods and could care less about the impact.

Those Silicon Valley idiots spend up to 4 hours (sometimes more) in their darn cars just so that they can have it all. It's not enough that they are privileged enough to work and live in Silicon Valley (not that i'd want to - it's one of the hell realms as far as i'm concerned) but they gotta have the best. So they're swarming here like ticks in the redwoods. And they have basically ruined this county with traffic and their agro / competitive / bmw, tesla, et al driven ways. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Sorry for my little rant.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'm sure it could happen "anywhere because of accidents or events." In Madison it happens every workday because of geography.
Unless google traffic's data is wrong, it doesn't look much different than most other similar cities during rush hours, using the typical traffic setting to view it.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:19 PM

9,972 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Unless google traffic's data is wrong, it doesn't look much different than most other similar cities during rush hours, using the typical traffic setting to view it.
Try driving from the AmFam offices to West Towne Mall some day. At 3am with no traffic it takes almost half an hour, and that's taking expressways the entire way. During rush hour, all bets are off.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:23 PM

610 posts, read 796,395 times
Lexington, KY.

No real interstate which means the whole city is nothing but stop lights.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:50 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Not only are there geological constraints that create several choke points and limited parallel routes, but there is a LOT of interstate traffic going back and forth from MSP and Chicago, and points beyond. This is a total guess but I'd say that at least 50% of the traffic on I-39/90/94 (all merge onto one road here) is from another state. I realize this interstate rings around Madison -- not through it -- but there is still a heavy volume of traffic every single time I drive through the area, no matter the time of day (and weekends can be worse due to cabin/Dells traffic).

I'm looking forward to seeing what WI-DOT will do with this roadway, particularly between Madison and the IL border.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
According to this, here are the top ten.

And the city with the worst traffic in the U.S. is...

Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I've heard Atlanta is horrible, but no personal experience there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.