Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:53 PM

127 posts, read 123,548 times

Advertisements

What I mean is, which cities would you say are TRULY CITIES. I mean urban, dense, public transportation, diverse, with colorful distinct neighborhoods, walkable, full of contrasts etc.

I'll give you an example:

Raleigh is a huge city with more than 1.5 million people in its entire metropolitan area which comprises (Raleigh, Durham and a few other large towns around).

However to be honest Raleigh is a massive sprawl with a tiny downtown, the immense majority of people in the triangle region are pretty much suburbanites and you can't really go anywhere without having to drive.

I went to Phoenix recently and it felt like Raleigh, it was really spread out with very poor public transportation, and virtually just a massive recollection of suburbs.

On the other hand Baltimore felt compact, with different parts of the city that felt urban, diverse, eclectic. In Baltimore it's possible to see several parts of the city just using public transportation and people live in condos and while suburbia it's there, it's also true the downtown felt big and busy.

With that in mind, which cities would you say are "REAL CITIES" in the US?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:05 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
There are small cities that feel like this too. Old river cities and railroad towns feel like "real cities" to me. Are you talking about big cities only?

Old 02-19-2017, 02:03 PM

127 posts, read 123,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There are small cities that feel like this too. Old river cities and railroad towns feel like "real cities" to me. Are you talking about big cities only?
Well I am talking about mostly just big cities

Like San Francisco is definitely one.

LA it's becoming one.

San Antonio TX also feels pretty compact for its large size, and by bus you can go virtually just about everywhere.

NYC obviously

Boston

Chicago

DC

Are there any other cities that sort of meet this criteria?

Old 02-19-2017, 02:11 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I think you are setting yourself up for trouble and indignation by presenting a certain narrow definition and calling it a "TRUE city" or "REAL city."

Is Tokyo not a "true city" because it's not diverse?

Old 02-19-2017, 02:14 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post

LA it's becoming one.

San Antonio TX also feels pretty compact for its large size, and by bus you can go virtually just about everywhere.

NYC obviously

Boston

Chicago

DC

If you think LA is becoming a real city I'd question if you'd been there and guarantee this thread will go to hell.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:15 PM

429 posts, read 479,080 times
Quote:

LA it's becoming one.

NYC obviously

Boston

Chicago

DC

Seattle has a fairly large contiguous area that feels like a "real city", although I wouldn't say that about the entire city. Same with Minneapolis and Portland.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:27 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
NYC
Philly
Boston
San Fran
New Orleans
DC
Miami
Providence
Cincinnati
KC
Pittsburgh

Old 02-19-2017, 03:05 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:

LA it's becoming one.

NYC obviously

Boston

Chicago

DC

I assume you live in San Antonio.

Some people say "small core" and put it into the non-city category. In your case you're saying a small core means the opposite. San Antonio is as low-density and sprawly as it gets.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:10 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
NYC
Chicago
Boston
Philly
DC
SF
Baltimore
...and maybe a few more

Most cities in the US are what you described with the massive suburban sprawl, or somewhere inbetween

Old 02-19-2017, 03:21 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Philly is definetely a true city. Itso urban areas is large and dense.
Baltimore is quite urban as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.