Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
8-9 Months of the year cold + dark? More like 4-5 max, with only 3-4 being really cold/dark and one being rainy.
Yeah this makes NY sound like the Arctic Circle or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
As nice as NY is in the late spring, summer, and early fall, that's how miserable it is in the late fall, winter, and early spring. I can't wait to get away from the cold and snow and ice, to a warmer climate with much lower taxes and friendlier people.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:45 PM

707 posts, read 750,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Weather, jobs/economy, and family issues rank among the top reasons to move or not. I live where the climate is wonderful but the economy is on the ropes. Retirees are moving in but many young people seem to be moving out. Family ties keep some young people from moving even though it would be beneficial for jobs or education.
I can vouch for that.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
It's not stupid so long as you aren't stupid about it. I have lived in Florida now for 14 years. I moved because of a job and had to be sold on the location. But there are LOTS of people down here, including my husband, who moved for weather.

But you just have to bear in mind that with the warner winters comes very hot summers, a different climate, etc. The summer can be as hard to bear for some as the winter is up north for others. With such warm weather comes the annual threat of hurricanes. And this is a differnt environment - so many northerners come down and expect to be able t grow the same plants, have the same houses, etc. as they had up north, only warmer. If you move, embrace the new location.

BTW lots of people move down here from up north and stay for several years only to decide it is too hot, too humid, too flat, too....whatever....and end up moving to somewhere like Tennessee or North Carolina. We even have a term for them, halfbacks.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 PM

405 posts, read 476,617 times
Just an update! Probably over exaggerated on NY being miserable 8-9 months of the year.

However I take it like this.

Every year winter has lasted longer and longer. Recently we've been getting snow as early as mid October/Halloween, and the cold weather/snow/miserableness lasts until late March/early April (last year we had a snowstorm in early April). So that's at least 6-6.5 months of not-so-nice weather, and then spring usually lasts from early April-end of May, and summer goes from end of May until September, so there really is only 4 months of good weather.

I'd take sweltering heat and humidity over freezing bitter cold any day of the week.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Assuming all else is equal, why wouldn't you move?
Because all else never is equal.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
This weekend weather was glorious in Orlando OP. Sorry to brag. Hehe

Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 PM

412 posts, read 509,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
As nice as NY is in the late spring, summer, and early fall, that's how miserable it is in the late fall, winter, and early spring. I can't wait to get away from the cold and snow and ice, to a warmer climate with much lower taxes and friendlier people.
So spend 7-8 months out of the year in New York, and the rest in Florida/Arizona.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
As long as you have a way to at the very least maintain your quality of life then, no,I don't think moving because of climate is stupid. With that said, moving to a new area without any familial connections can be difficult better weather or not.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:18 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
What do you consider cold? NY doesn't really get that cold. Some of the locales you named are an extreme change and you may miss the lack of seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.