Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:07 PM

29 posts, read 45,231 times

Advertisements

Some good info to sift through! Thanks! I guess I should clarify on "not outdoorsy"; I mean rather I'm not into camping/hiking/mountain climbing. I do like being outdoors--taking my dog on walks, outdoor festivals and plays, etc.

So "meh" to Portland (or PNW for that matter)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 PM

123 posts, read 160,229 times
Why not Chicago?

Old 04-25-2017, 05:38 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TU08nola View Post
Some good info to sift through! Thanks! I guess I should clarify on "not outdoorsy"; I mean rather I'm not into camping/hiking/mountain climbing. I do like being outdoors--taking my dog on walks, outdoor festivals and plays, etc.

that's Portland in a nutshell for you- we are NOT hiking adventure types. more like the local brew pub and taking the dogs to the 100 acre river park and then to the fried chicken and sushi hotspot....
(hate snow/sports actually and theres still so much to do here, lol)....

Old 04-25-2017, 05:42 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I have lived in Dallas for far too long and am ready to try somewhere new! I will of course be doing some in-person recon, but I'm trying to narrow my list a bit and hope to get some help!

31, single female, no kids, college educated. Foodie, craft beer lover, live music fan (except country), not outdoorsy unless you count patio drinking, history/science museum nerd, movie buff. Remote worker so commute, dominant industries, etc. are a non-factor.

Ruled out Boston and San Francisco, even though I love them, because of rent costs. Liking the look of Portland, but the reputation for rain/gloom makes me apprehensive. San Diego is on the list because of the perfect weather, beer, and Mexican food. Philadelphia hadn't initially crossed my mind, but I've seen some positive buzz on the forums. Wondering about those winters though.

Appreciate any insights!
Philly would be great for all of the above, but you'll need to adjust to winter. It doesn't snow everyday there in the winter, but it can be subjected to nor'easters from time to time. Meaning you'll have many days with no snow and then a storm drops 6 inches and melts a few days later. Cold, but a little milder than say Chicago or MLSP.

It's location is pretty amazing -- close proximity to NYC, DC, and beaches.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Philly sounds just right for you if you can put up with the winters. Then San Diego if you can afford it. There's always going to be something just a little wrong with a place, it's more a matter of what you want over maybe a few things you don't.

Chicago sounds as if it would meet your needs as well. There is so much to do there both indoor and outdoor all year round.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:

A lot of people on this forum have a narrow definition of "outdoor activities." Some places with amazing "outdoor activities" also have undesirable weather to enjoy being outside (e.g. dreary rain)

Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
I do like being outdoors--taking my dog on walks, outdoor festivals and plays, etc.
Well, I was in Rittenhouse Square a couple of weeks ago and everybody was walking their dogs. :-)

Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Portland or SD. If you are moving NE, I would skip anything that is not DC, Boston, or NYC. Philly is okay, but I have spent enough time there to know it is not great in comparison to these cities. But I would move to Portland or SD in a heartbeat. Love both places. West coast faves.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:24 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
I am all about the PT idea. (part time, perpetual traveler, whatever you wanna call it) I'm salivating at the thought...If you do it I'll have to live vicariously through you at the moment, OP.

That way you can get a good taste of Philly, Chicago, Portland, etc without committing to long winters. SD, Austin, etc would all be great during that time. Only issues I see are a slightly inflated COL from the moving/STR and more complex income taxes. To me, totally worth it.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I am all about the PT idea. (part time, perpetual traveler, whatever you wanna call it) I'm salivating at the thought...If you do it I'll have to live vicariously through you at the moment, OP.

That way you can get a good taste of Philly, Chicago, Portland, etc without committing to long winters. SD, Austin, etc would all be great during that time. Only issues I see are a slightly inflated COL from the moving/STR and more complex income taxes. To me, totally worth it.
The OP wants to leave the greater TX/OK/LA region. Why do you keep mentioning that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.