Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:09 PM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I would say that the Great Lakes areas, by far, is the most poloraized area of the country and its major cities are among or the worst offenders. Surprisingly, the relaxing of lending standards for homes and using mortgages as Wall Street investment (CDO's) created a new era of integration in many inner-ring suburbs formerly racially paralyzed. However, that integration is just a interim stage from the shift from being mostly white to being mostly blacks, for example, Harper Woods and East Pointe, MI.

Regions of the country that got over half their population in the last 30 years tend to be less segregated because the new growth often keeps lines in the sand from being drawn. However, sometimes newcomers follow existing lines in the sand, as in the case of Metro Atlanta between the North and South sides. Slow growth older metro areas, like in the Great Lakes region, have polarization patterns formed decades ago.

Interestingly enough....this neat little map just came to my attention today. SocScape - USA
There is also an ethnic White aspect to this in the Great Lakes in terms of where say Polish, Italians, Irish, Germans, etc. live as well. This has gradually eroded, but the region tends to break this down at a slowly pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 10:14 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Nashville has the best racial interactions of any city I ever lived in, NYC and Boston was pretty good as well but that was due to the fact I worked at a hospital and had a lot of friends that were Asians, Middle East and Latinos and we are all professionals. I grew up Cincinnati it was not getting good growing up in the 90s but has gotten better. Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis and Chicago are the worst I have seen but all cities have some it more to economics than race. Lot of black doctors and nurses I know live in the burbs because they can afford a bigger home.
Was in Nashville a few weeks ago. Everyone was white or black.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 AM

128 posts, read 267,976 times
Katspur while I agree that you can live in the suburbs of Salt Lake City and can find some diversity that you would find in the city. I also would like that you don't discredit someone else's viewpoints because I am not LDS. In fact my viewpoints are just as valid as yours, I grew up in Utah, am a University of Utah graduate, and I love living here because I think the quality of life is fantastic. I work with many LDS coworkers, and for the most part, we do get along and everything is cordial. But it can be difficult at times to find common interests, and when the religion aspect is brought up I am nice about it, but I don't connect with it. I have found that in my personal life everyone I hang out with and places where I end up tends to be in the city where non-LDS tend not to go. I am social and nice to people of LDS backgrounds, but there are not alot of common interests outside of work. There is a polarizing effect in Salt Lake that does exist at times, because these communities tend to have many differing viewpoints socially and politically. Overall I do think Salt Lake is large enough that it has everything to offer for anyone to find what it is they are looking for. But the question asked in this thread is what cities are polarizing, while I don't feel Salt Lake is the most polarized city in the United States, especially racially, it is polarizing in its own way.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:31 AM

4,400 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
That pretty much sums it up. The arguments against public transit there was to prevent the "undesirables" from traveling to there. Are they that clueless? Look around most of Arlington... the undesirables are already there. They just have a bigger ego than the other declined DFW "sprawlburbs." Pretty much the "Banana Republic" of DFW. And it's really embarrassing that they are often the face of here.
Is Arlington's crime rate so bad? I will play devils advocate a bit and say I get where they are coming from with that whole "undesirables" things. There have been some suburbs that went down hill after they got public transportation. Owings Mills MD is a big one that comes to mind but I know there's other examples.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 AM

4,400 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I saw an HGTV special a while back. There where some Asians moving into Nashville.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:02 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Is Arlington's crime rate so bad? I will play devils advocate a bit and say I get where they are coming from with that whole "undesirables" things. There have been some suburbs that went down hill after they got public transportation. Owings Mills MD is a big one that comes to mind but I know there's other examples.
There are over 365k residents and plenty of crime already in Arlington ... they can't use that as an excuse.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 AM

Location: L'Enfant D.C. near the southern end of the megalopolis
39 posts, read 41,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Are you referring to what happened with the mall in Owings Mills

Old 05-07-2017, 07:49 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That is not remotely true at all we have a lot of middle eastern and Latino people.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:02 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Chicago's segregation is more complicated than people think. The North Side (save Lakeview) is far from lily-white. Most of the desirable north side neighborhoods are no more than 50% white. That said, most people from the North Side almost never venture to the South or West Side (although some would argue) that Bucktown and Wicker Park are West Side neighborhoods.

Pittsburgh is divided by rivers...seriously, most people in this town will NOT cross a river unless they absolutely have to.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Sounds like DFW to me...

How?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.