Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 664 times

Advertisements

So right now I'm living in the Midwest (Chicago) and I'd like to move asap. Right now I'm a 25 year old college student with a 1 year old and I'd like to move to finish my studies and give him a better environment and a plus is one with no snow. I've lived here my whole life. Once my degree is finished I'd like to live in San Diego but without one I don't think I could. I've been looking into Florida and dallas and Arizona... leaning more towards Florida since I have family there and it's more greenery for the little one.

My real question is does it make sense to move that far (East coast/South Florida) for just about 3 or so years when I ultimately want to move to the west coast? Or does it really matter? I could just suck it up and stay here and finish but those 2-3 years are going to really suck the life out of me since I find myself stagnant and hating it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 07:52 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Midwest transplant going on 23rd year in South Florida.
I have to suggest finishing your studies first.. however..
Will money be no object in your scenerio?
If money is no object-try a few years in South Florida and then head west.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANikole26 View Post
So right now I'm living in the Midwest (Chicago) and I'd like to move asap. Right now I'm a 25 year old college student with a 1 year old and I'd like to move to finish my studies and give him a better environment and a plus is one with no snow. I've lived here my whole life. Once my degree is finished I'd like to live in San Diego but without one I don't think I could. I've been looking into Florida and dallas and Arizona... leaning more towards Florida since I have family there and it's more greenery for the little one.

My real question is does it make sense to move that far (East coast/South Florida) for just about 3 or so years when I ultimately want to move to the west coast? Or does it really matter? I could just suck it up and stay here and finish but those 2-3 years are going to really suck the life out of me since I find myself stagnant and hating it here.
I don't mean this to be harsh but sunshine and greenery aren't going to put food on the table for you or your one year old child. Coastal California (and metro Miami to a lesser degree) are very, very expensive places to live.

You don't need to answer these but some things to think about...

-What is your degree in and if you do finish it how much will it enhance your earning capacity?
-What industry are you trying to break into?
-Would you be graduating with debt? If so what's the timeline/plan for paying it off?
-Would your family in Florida be able to provide occasional childcare?
-Is it possible to transfer to another college in one of those cities you're interested in re-locating to?
-What's your budget for housing and what type of neighborhood would that put you and your child in these respective cities?

Old 05-05-2017, 04:44 PM

422 posts, read 397,163 times
If you're fixed on moving to CA, it doesn't make much sense to move to FL for a short period before you do so. Moving/relocating cost aren't cheap and unless you'r oozing disposable income I'd stay put where your at and move when you're ready.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 PM

39 posts, read 46,977 times
I'd say do it! Try out Florida, you might end up loving it and not even have to make another move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.